Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default David Stott Building Updates

I love the pic that shows the cleaning being done. And thank goodness that the Stott is out of the Chinese firm's clutches.

I hope they bring back the Skybar. That place was nice.

I knew it was dirty but I didn't realize it was that dirty. It's going to look really nice all cleaned up with new windows.

What was originally in the ground floor of the David Stott Building? There is a name inlaid in the ground on the State St. entrance and I can't quite make it out.

I thought I read that Gilberts purchase off the Chinese was a little hostile due to the owners sitting in it too long. Not critizing, just wish we had more conditions layed down to prevent land banking. Penobscot now comes to mind.

Wasn't D.O.C. on the ground floor of this building

Quote Originally Posted by SaintMe View Post
    What was originally in the ground floor of the David Stott Building? There is a name inlaid in the ground on the State St. entrance and I can't quite make it out.
    This is the entrance I'm talking about:

Name:  2017-09-21 15.34.06.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  48.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    I thought I read that Gilberts purchase off the Chinese was a little hostile due to the owners sitting in it too long. Not critizing, just wish we had more conditions layed down to prevent land banking. Penobscot now comes to mind.
    During the Chinese tenure the building had severe flooding issues, the city got concerned and upset due to an absentee landlord... and they may have done some arm twisting to get them to sell it to Gilbert.

I agree that having too many eggs in one basket is a note for concern... absolutely.

However... who else was going to step up to the plate and spend a big wad of cash to restore the Stott [[won't be cheap)... and especially the Book Building/Tower... not a lot of developers with $300 million to spend on the Book alone come snooping around to buy Detroit real estate.

I look at the trade off of how many additional years will the buildings be empty and unheated. Even the Toronto owner of the Penobscot complex is doing as little as he can maintenance wise, and I would rather have Gilbert buy that as well.

If something should happen to Gilbert [[financially or otherwise).... at least if there has to be a fire sale of his buildings.... they will be in tip top condition... and not rusting hulks.

Looks like "Schillers" this was a name around Detroit.

The Stott is almost ready, according to a elevator tech friend who has been working on the building's elevators, now finished and rebuilt.

Likewise the residence spaces are in the final finish phases.

He said they knocked out all the walls on each floor, then built new walls for the spaces. In the case of the residences there 3-6 on each floor.

Great to see the fabulous architectural gem find a new life.

Nice angle on the Stott from Bedrock's promotion site...

Note the vegetation growing on the roof the Farwell--another Capitol Park building being rehabbed.
    Name:  Stott-Bedrock.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  78.7 KB

Lowell, do you happen to know exactly how many floors the residences are on? Will this retain any office floors?

I ask, because all I've ever seen about the project is that it's "mixed use." But that could be everything from true mixed-usage to a high-rise with a shop on the ground floor in how the term is used these days.

Hopefully they bring back the SkyBar in some form. That was such a cool spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Lowell, do you happen to know exactly how many floors the residences are on? Will this retain any office floors?

I ask, because all I've ever seen about the project is that it's "mixed use." But that could be everything from true mixed-usage to a high-rise with a shop on the ground floor in how the term is used these days.
    http://www.michiganbuildingtrades.or...he-stott-tower
    This article from a couple of months ago has some insight on the construction of the building and usage of its floors.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardhat View Post
    http://www.michiganbuildingtrades.or...he-stott-tower
    This article from a couple of months ago has some insight on the construction of the building and usage of its floors.
    Sorry, according to the article, it looks like the Sky Bar is gone:

Floors 2-6 are not in the scope of this project and will undergo future development. Floors 7-35 are undergoing a gutting and renovation into residential units.

The number of residential units will vary depending on the floor. Since the Stott's floor plans have an inward setback on the upper floors, there will be four to five residential units on the lower floors, tapering down to single units on floors 31-33. The 34th and 35th floors will have community space and a gym. A sky bar at the top of the Stott - for years the only destination open in the building - is long gone in this renovation.

Who are you apologizing to? Sorry for what?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexlin View Post
    Who are you apologizing to? Sorry for what?
    EGrant, who hoped they would bring back the Sky Bar, but they aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    EGrant, who hoped they would bring back the Sky Bar, but they aren't.
    I also think there was a logistical challenge in bringing back the Skybar. Simply put, there wasn’t a “dedicated” elevator that could be exclusively used to bring patrons to the skybar from street level.

Put more simply, Skybar patrons would have to use the same elevators as the residents on floors 7-33. From the residential perspective, let’s just say it is better for tower residents that those elevators going to floors 7+ remain exclusive for those people who live there, and not bar patrons.

I will mourn the permanent loss of SkyBar everytime I walk by the building.