Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Chilis at Eastland

Just noticed the Chili's at Eastland appears closed.

The good news is that Macy's owns their store at Eastland, which could help keep it open.

Also, Wayne County has a great parcel viewer tool on their website that shows ownership of every parcel in the county.
    http://wayne.maps.arcgis.com/apps/Vi...cf115e97a3c7c0

Hmmmn, I happen to like some of Chilis entrees. But I don't frequent Eastland. Did business drop at that location?

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post

The good news is that Macy's owns their store at Eastland, which could help keep it open.

Also, Wayne County has a great parcel viewer tool on their website that shows ownership of every parcel in the county.
    The close of that Chili's must have JUST happened, as I was there not even 1 month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Hmmmn, I happen to like some of Chilis entrees. But I don't frequent Eastland. Did business drop at that location?
    Based on the reviews, it looks to have been another case of poor management.

Quote Originally Posted by eastland View Post

Macy's owned the Northland store outright too, so that means nothing.

A possible wild card for Eastland will be what happens with Target. Macy's made the decision to flee Northland right behind Target's announcement to flee.

The Eastland Target has an interesting quagmire in which it's amongst their highest grossing stores in sales, but it's also amongst the stores with the highest rates of shrinkage. In fact, a while ago someone on this forum mentioned that the big wigs in Minneapolis engage in a tense debate over closing the Eastland Target yearly.
    Last edited by 313WX; August-28-16 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    ...snip... In fact, a while ago someone on this forum mentioned that the big wigs in Minneapolis engage in a tense debate over closing the Eastland Target yearly.
    I wouldn't read too much into this kind of chatter. Macy's probably has a tense debate about store closures on 75% of their stores.

Department Stores are all struggling. I just heard that Nordstrom now has larger revenue at the Rack stores than their flagship brand. Macy's is closing 15% of their store [[about 100) per many articles on August 11th. [[just google 'macys closing stores' to read).

I'd recommend that if you're worried about that store, just buy some Amazon stock, and maybe FedEx or UPS. Department Stores are not catching on with the young uns. They don't know what they can do about it. I think there's not much. They'll all try new ideas. Our beloved [[Dayton) Hudson's founded Target in response to changing market conditions once upon a time. Target ended up being an order of magnitude or two bigger than its parent. I'm sure some chain will find a new idea that works this time too. Creative Destruction. It make America great. Or we can give Macy's tax subsidies. That might keep the stores open, if irrelevant.

Does anyone else notice that Macy's is nothing but sales. Is it possible to pay full price anymore? I get fliers daily from them announcing their next big annual best-ever sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I wouldn't read too much into this kind of chatter. Macy's probably has a tense debate about store closures on 75% of their stores.
    Except for the fact that we know Target does have to contend with a disproportionately high expense in operations due to the rate of shrinkage at the Eastland store compared to their other stores.

It's the same reason most stores in the city proper closed shop and the city struggles to attract new retailers, and likely what led to the Northland store closing.

But, at least up until this point, the sales have been high enough to justify keeping the store open. WE'll see if that continues to remain the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Does anyone else notice that Macy's is nothing but sales. Is it possible to pay full price anymore? I get fliers daily from them announcing their next big annual best-ever sale.
    The fact is retailers have plenty of room to discount their goods and still make a profit. As I'm sure you know, the mark up on their crap is ridiculous. Margins will be narrower, but any profit is better than no profit in an environment with relatively low consumer demand across the board.

As far as their fliers about "their next big annual best-ever sale", from a marketing and psychological perspective, it's much easier to attract customers when you make them think they're saving money, whereas in reality you're just charging them a more reasonable price you should have been charging them in the first place.
    Last edited by 313WX; August-28-16 at 07:16 PM.

Been closed for at least a couple weeks or more.

Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    Been closed for at least a couple weeks or more.
    imho the writing is on the wall for all of those mid tier sit down restaurants [[olive garden, chilis, applebees, tgi fridays, etc) their food is mediocre at best, drinks pricey, and service subpar. i spend my money at locals spots that are family friendly but serve booze: griffin claw, hop cat, jolly pumpkin, and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    No, the customers dropped....

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    imho the writing is on the wall for all of those mid tier sit down restaurants [[olive garden, chilis, applebees, tgi fridays, etc) their food is mediocre at best, drinks pricey, and service subpar. i spend my money at locals spots that are family friendly but serve booze: griffin claw, hop cat, jolly pumpkin, and the like.
    Yeah, all those you mentioned are a step up in food quality and price.....

Even their burgers are nothing to write home about. The place is nothing like Olgas but when I leave both of those restaurants I always wonder why I went in the first place.

Their food was getting pretty pedestrian. Even the one item I really liked had gone down. I want to try that Jolly Pumpkin that Hybridy referenced!!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Yeah, all those you mentioned are a step up in food quality and price.....

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    Folks, [[okay I'll stereotype and say suburbanites), still love their chains, especially new ones. There was a lineup all weekend in front of Wahlburgers that went right in front of Red Smoke. Owners have to love that, unless they're getting spillover business of course.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Folks, [[okay I'll stereotype and say suburbanites), still love their chains, especially new ones.
    Unfortunately, this refrain always shows two things. 1) Divisiveness, 2) Being out-of-touch...because most Detroiters love chains too.

[[Note: I'm not saying that 401don necessarily made the comment with that type of intent in mind but it is the result nonetheless.)

Quote Originally Posted by Towne Cluber View Post
    ...because most Detroiters love chains too.
    I don't think people buy and wear them like they did years back.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Folks, [[okay I'll stereotype and say suburbanites), still love their chains, especially new ones. There was a lineup all weekend in front of Wahlburgers that went right in front of Red Smoke. Owners have to love that, unless they're getting spillover business of course.
    I think that's a bit simplistic. People love anything new that arrives in any given area. Wahlburgers, Chick Fil A [[when it opens), Sonic, Cheescake Factory, etc...all long lines and waits and now? Just another option on the menu, pun very much intended.

Me? I'm waiting on Jamba Juice.