Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Thread: Stroh's Beer

Default Stroh's Beer

Has any one tried the new version of Stroh's brewed in Corktown? I thought that it was pretty good. I will purchase some more but I am not a beer
    expert.
    I thought that the dying Stroh's firm was purchased by Pabst in the early 1990s and that Pabst owns the right to the Stroh's name. Is this new
    been being brewed in Detroit under some kind of agreement with the owner of Stroh's name. The new bottles have the traditional Stroh's logo, clearly mention that the beer is brewed in Detroit and state that the beer has
    been brewed here since 1850. I note they do not say that it has been
    brewed here continuously since 1850.
    Stroh's survived prohibition. Maybe they can overcome the failure of the original firm.

Weak beer deserves to be appreciated through a straw. Hence the German appellation.

Pabst still owns the brand. While they make Stroh's Lager at their brewery in Milwaukee they are using Brew Detroit, a contract brewer in Corktown, to make the new stuff.

I tried Stroh's many years ago and remember it to be a most vile concoction. It would come in handy, though, if your shower drain was clogged and you were out of Drano.

One of the remaining Stroh's family members wrote a book called Beer Money that discusses how the family blew all their money.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    I tried Stroh's many years ago and remember it to be a most vile concoction. It would come in handy, though, if your shower drain was clogged and you were out of Drano.

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    Really? I don't even like beer, and yet found it [[upon trying it) to be little different from any Pabst or Anheuser product. Perhaps in lieu of a plunger you might try one of theirs....

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    One of the remaining Stroh's family members wrote a book called Beer Money that discusses how the family blew all their money.
    Yeah. The sorry thing is though, think of the poor Drano family, how they must feel about having the fruit of their labor being compared to Strohs.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    Pabst still owns the brand. While they make Stroh's Lager at their brewery in Milwaukee they are using Brew Detroit, a contract brewer in Corktown, to make the new stuff.
    Actually they brew the lager at a facility in Trenton, O, which may or may not be a contract operation in its own right. Hopefully this does well and brew Detroit can convince them to move the lager production to their facility or at least back to Detroit!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Really? I don't even like beer, and yet found it [[upon trying it) to be little different from any Pabst or Anheuser product. Perhaps in lieu of a plunger you might try one of theirs....
    I think that Pabst or Budweiser might eat through the cast iron drain pipes.

I remember Stroh's, real Gratiot-brewed Stroh's that is, as having a slight and peculiar apple juicy quality, that was not unpleasant but could wear over a long drinking session. My great-uncle who worked there, and really over-enjoyed the main perk of that job, always credited that flavor profile to the fire-brewing that their ads so loudly touted.

The lager is no longer fire brewed. I wonder whatever happened to the fire brewing tanks. I saw them being moved into a warehouse in Rivertown behind Andrews on the Corner around 1998. Could they still be there?

I ordered a Stroh's draft at a bar last week. Just as awful as I remember it from my college days back in the 1970s. IMHO.
    Last edited by Pat001; September-04-16 at 06:56 AM. Reason: proof reading

Been drinking it all weekend in and around Hamtramck. Between that and a Pilsesner Urquell, [[a fine pilsener unto its own), this Strohs pilsener stacks up quite well. The ABV is 5.5% so don't go swilling a twelve pack in one sitting. And don't expect the fire-brewed taste of your father's generation, as kettles with a 70 year old burned lining along the bottom are hard to find. Tastes nothing like the garbage in the blue cans. Disclaimer: as noted frequently above, I find Bud [[that Stella stuff is nasty), Labatts, Miller et al to be undrinkable.
    Last edited by Hamtragedy; September-05-16 at 12:31 PM.

The New Stroh's kind of reminds me of New Detroit as it tries unnecessarily to be fancy and comes up short while the old Stroh's, like Old Detroit, is cheap and not too flashy but it serves a purpose and gets the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    this Strohs pilsener stacks up quite well
    agree...tried a bottle and quite impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    The lager is no longer fire brewed.....?
    That explains a lot! MUST be fire-brewed or it ain't Stroh's.

I saw it for sale at Westborn Fruit Mkt in Dearborn last Friday. They had about 3 cases of it on Friday. I bought a six pack which rounded off cost about $10. I had one bottle Friday night. It was quite strong in content as Hamtragedy mentioned. It was also quite strong & bitter in taste. It did taste I remember it from the 70s, but I don't remember it being that bitter. Interestingly, all 3 cases were sold by Sunday when I returned to the market.

Worked at Stroh's one summer. Just had a new Stroh's over the weekend. It was just OK, nothing special.

I was in one of those Detroit-nostalgia-themed stores near the Eastern Market [[the one behind Sala Thai in the old fire station) this past Saturday that was giving away free tasters of the new "Stroh's". I had a couple and remarked to the guy pouring it "I hate to break it to you, but somebody put some hops in your Stroh's".

It was OK. Tasted pretty much like every other somewhat over-hopped [[to my taste) craft brew out there. For good or ill though, other than the name and the old-style label, it bore no resemblance whatsoever to the Stroh's of old.

I suppose that it's objectively a significant improvement over real Stroh's [[although I've really grown tired of this bitter, bitter style). But why call it Stroh's at all if it's going to taste like something completely different? The answer seems to be to cash in on the cachet of the new "hip" Detroit by selling "improved" nostalgia to those too young to have experienced [[and who maybe wouldn't even like) the actual thing. In other words, it's a bid to make quick bank off of trendiness and faux-authenticity. Now neo-Stroh's may be a decent product, and my even succeed, but something sure doesn't sit well with this old Detroiter about the whole thing.

Articles from when this was announced claimed they were inspired by the Stroh's recipe from the 1890s - the recipe that won awards at the 1893 World's Fair. That recipe also predates their fire brewing technique. The hops level back then was probably pretty high.

Tried it last night on draft at a bar. Solid. Like a less flavorful/roasted Ghettoblaster.