Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Detroit readies for new residents "city’s decades of population decline is reversing”

Can it be?

Six new housing developments in various stages of construction opened for view Aug. 5 and 6.

DETROIT — Next year, and for the first time in more than 60 years, city officials are expecting Detroit’s residential population to increase.

“Demand for living in Detroit is growing every day,” said Detroit Mayor Michael Duggan in a prepared statement. “Census numbers show the city’s decades of population decline is reversing.”
    Capitol Park Lofts will offer high-end apartments that range from $853 to $3,180 a month in the newly renovated Capitol Park neighborhood downtown. The building will feature a rooftop deck with a gas grill.

In the same area, The Griswold’s 9-foot floor-to-ceiling windows offer views of the city’s skyline and entertainment district. Monthly apartment rates begin at $1,500 and top out at $3,500 a month.

The Fort Shelby Residences are above the historic Fort Shelby Hotel, which first opened in 1917. Designed by famed architect Albert Kahn, the 23-story tower holds 56 condos in the city’s central business district that range in price from $280,000 to $1 million.

The luxury apartments of DuCharme Place in Lafayette Park feature direct access to the biking and walking trail known as the Dequindre Cut, and a swimming pool and deck in a roomy landscaped garden terrace. Prices range from $1,250 to $1,850 a month.

Brush Park soon will be home to two new developments, The Scott and City Modern. The Scott is located on Woodward Avenue and Erskine Street, and monthly apartment prices start at $949. City Modern will blend historic homes with modern flats and more. Both developments feature access to the new QLINE streetcar, slated to open in 2017.

Lynette Boyle, of Grosse Pointe Woods, and Ellen Mahoney, of Bloomfield Hills, were among the hundreds attending the VIP Downtown Living Tour.

“There is a shortage of housing in Detroit,” said Mahoney, a real estate broker.

“We love Detroit,” Boyle said. “There is so much happening and so much to do.”
    http://www.candgnews.com/news/detroi...esidents-94997

Can we cue the John Lee Hooker hit yet?
    Boom, boom, boom, boom.
    I'm gonna shoot you right down,
    Knock you off of your feet,
    And take you home with me.
    Put you in my house.
    Boom, boom, boom, boom.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Can it be?

Six new housing developments in various stages of construction opened for view Aug. 5 and 6.

http://www.candgnews.com/news/detroi...esidents-94997

Can we cue the John Lee Hooker hit yet?
    Boom, boom, boom, boom.
    I'm gonna shoot you right down,
    Knock you off of your feet,
    And take you home with me.
    Put you in my house.
    Boom, boom, boom, boom.
    For sure, Detroit needs NEW housing, but it has plenty of housing in foreclosure and needing rehab. Some of the outer neighborhoods could use a little help with NEW housing. Not just midtown.

http://www.citymoderndetroit.com/

I love the architecture and variety in the buildings! Not something you'd expect to see in Detroit. Looks more like London.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    http://www.citymoderndetroit.com/

I love the architecture and variety in the buildings! Not something you'd expect to see in Detroit. Looks more like London.
    Yeah. After the blitz.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    For sure, Detroit needs NEW housing, but it has plenty of housing in foreclosure and needing rehab. Some of the outer neighborhoods could use a little help with NEW housing. Not just midtown.
    "Downtown" Detroit may have been a little closer to accurate in the OPs news article and title.

A lot of the "we're growing" folks ten years ago had the wind taken out of their sails by the 2010 census figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    Agree. New single family housing construction across the U.S. has been making a nice comeback but not within Detroit.

Maybe in the future?

I remember times when some cities like Detroit, D.C. [[yep) hardly had any grocery stores in the city and folks had to go to the 'burbs for the basics of life. That's changing.

Next should be the revitalization of neighborhoods with stores, drug stores, and even new housing.

I just don't know which neighborhood would see the construction of new single-family homes.
    Last edited by emu steve; August-25-16 at 05:32 AM.

Detroit had the largest population loss of any city in the U.S. per the latest Census estimates.

So the answer is no; there is no evidence of a population trend reversal. And [[putting aside the fact that Detroit has very little housing construction per Census) relative housing construction has almost nothing to do with relative population trends.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Detroit had the largest population loss of any city in the U.S. per the latest Census estimates.

So the answer is no; there is no evidence of a population trend reversal. And [[putting aside the fact that Detroit has very little housing construction per Census) relative housing construction has almost nothing to do with relative population trends.
    I'm not sure what past Census estimates have to do with what's actually going on. In fact they're just estimates. SEMCOG in the 70s estimated that Metro Detroit would be growing well into the 90s but they were wrong. In fact, it should be more of an enabler to actually grow the city than to sit around and drown in self-pity.

Now population trends are indeed different because they can be so fickle. But here we have the mayor, who knows more than you or me, saying the trend is starting to curb. His he saying 1.4 million people are moving in next month? No. He's saying the trend is slowing and reversing. It's just turning a new leaf not getting the entire tree.

The two pics in the article show baby boomer lookers, which raises the question, for me at least, whether they are looking to sell their McMansions or purchase pied-a-terres? Hopefully the former...
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; August-25-16 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Agree. New single family housing construction across the U.S. has been making a nice comeback but not within Detroit.

Maybe in the future?
    If there is significant growth, it will be in and around existing stable neighborhoods. Although, I do think there are future opportunities where if a developer can get a large amount of land that we could see a big single-family home development. The lots would probably be bigger than the original lots, but the existing street grid could still be used.

Concentrate on jobs. Per capita income is far more important. If opportunities increase enough the population problem will take care of itself.

Michigan and Detroit has let far to many other regions eat off the plate for way to long. It's a competitive environment, if we are not competing we will lose to those who are playing to win the jobs for their state and municipalities.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    If there is significant growth, it will be in and around existing stable neighborhoods. Although, I do think there are future opportunities where if a developer can get a large amount of land that we could see a big single-family home development. The lots would probably be bigger than the original lots, but the existing street grid could still be used.
    One thing about single-family homes.

Lets assume the cost to build a house is $200K [[not counting land).

Would you build that house in Detroit on land you bought for 20K or would you go to a 'burb and buy a different lot for $40K?

The point is that if the price point between building a new SF home say in Detroit and say in Dearborn is small [[240 vs 220K), it most likely will get built in Dearborn, not Detroit.

And I agree at some point don't know years, decades, etc. but in fact some developer might try to buy 100 acres and build a neighborhood...

Where might this happen in Detroit? I have NO idea.

I can tell you it happens in D.C. and the D.C. area so maybe, some day it could happen in Detroit, but not anytime soon.

There is a company, I think EYA, which literally BUILDS NEIGHBORHOODS. I'll check but they have constructed a townhome community near Nationals Park.

EDIT: OVER 300 TOWNHOMES as a single D.C. neighborhood!! [[Capitol Quarter) and it isn't in N.W. D.C., either.

http://www.eya.com/Established_Neighborhoods
    Last edited by emu steve; August-25-16 at 12:00 PM.

It's extremely unlikely that there is population growth within the City of Detroit. There is also no need more single family homes. At least not detached single family homes. Rather, increased density in few key areas like we are seeing in the initial article of this thread. Efficiencies gained through a smaller [[but denser) population will mean improved services at a lower price to taxpayers.

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    It's extremely unlikely that there is population growth within the City of Detroit. There is also no need more single family homes. At least not detached single family homes. Rather, increased density in few key areas like we are seeing in the initial article of this thread. Efficiencies gained through a smaller [[but denser) population will mean improved services at a lower price to taxpayers.
    According to the estimate released earlier in 2016, the decline in 2015 was the lowest Detroit has seen in decades, if not the lowest since the population decline started in the 1950s. I wouldn't be surprised to see an estimated population increase in the next year or two. Granted, even if Detroit grows for the rest of the decade it will most likely have a net negative population increase by 2020.

...And I agree at some point don't know years, decades, etc. but in fact some developer might try to buy 100 acres and build a neighborhood...

Where might this happen in Detroit? I have NO idea.

I can tell you it happens in D.C. and the D.C. area so maybe, some day it could happen in Detroit, but not anytime soon...
    In 2005 a private company led by former Housing and Urban Development Henry Cisneros had a plan to build 3000 units in Jefferson-Chalmers. They spent millions acquiring properties, then backed out. It could have been great. Restoring the Vanity Ballroom wouldn't seem so far-fetched had it happened. Instead it was another major contributor to the abandonment of the neighborhood. Too bad Detroit has suffered from so many so called "developers" who have bought up properties only to do nothing with them.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...of_propos.html

If it were to happen in Detroit, I suggest this may still be a good location.

Meanwhile, if you look around, some of the outlying neighborhoods have in fact seen some tracts relatively recently developed into neighborhoods of new single family homes. Not a lot, and some are small. I don't know who was responsible or how they came together [[I'd be curious to learn), but here are a just few examples [[I'm sure there are others). I think these were probably built in the 90's [[I guess not that recent):

https://goo.gl/maps/Fq3KWB57Wnx
    https://goo.gl/maps/FknRDw6j8hk
    https://goo.gl/maps/ZqV4Qf7RLTy
    Last edited by bust; August-25-16 at 01:31 PM.

Would you build that house in Detroit on land you bought for 20K or would you go to a 'burb and buy a different lot for $40K?
    20K? As in $20,000. hahahahaha!!! I don't have a bridge to sell you, but give me a minute and I'll find you some land.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Meanwhile, if you look around, some of the outlying neighborhoods have in fact seen some tracts relatively recently developed into neighborhoods of new single family homes. Not a lot, and some are small. I don't know who was responsible or how they came together [[I'd be curious to learn), but here are a just few examples [[I'm sure there are others). I think these were probably built in the 90's [[I guess not that recent):

https://goo.gl/maps/Fq3KWB57Wnx
    https://goo.gl/maps/FknRDw6j8hk
    https://goo.gl/maps/ZqV4Qf7RLTy
    Those aren't good examples of what Detroit needs in terms of single family houses. If people want to live in Bloomfield, Rochester Hills, or Canton they are more than welcome but in the city housing should be a mix of multi-family and dense single family houses. Three neighborhoods we need to look to for influence and ideas are Toronto's Bedford Park, Brooklyn's Bay Ridge, and Chicago's West Ridge/West Rogers Park. Any new residential catering to family living needs to be sustainable and suburban like developments from the corner 206 Mile and LBP Freeway are not the way to go.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; August-25-16 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Those aren't good examples of what Detroit needs in terms of single family houses. If people want to live in Bloomfield, Rochester Hills, or Canton they are more than welcome but in the city housing should be a mix of multi-family and dense single family houses.
    Yep, seems to me most people who want city living want city living and not pseudo-suburbia. They want to be able to walk to shopping, restaurants, and entertainment, and not be dependent on their cars for everything in life [[which doesn't mean they want to get rid of their cars entirely - they just want the option to leave them at home sometimes). Some mix of mid-rise apartments or condos and, e.g., West Philly-style row houses seems about right to me.

What a great thread! Just a couple of points, my opinion based on what I've seen in Detroit, its suburbs, and other places.

First, objectively, the rate of decline in population has slowed quite a bit, but hasn't yet stopped. Raw numbers don't mean much because you don't get an apples-to-apples comparison.

Second, now this is entirely conjectural, the population growth is going to come from where it did originally, when Detroit was young: from downtown out along the river and along Woodward. Several factors are making the downtown-midtown corridor more attractive to developers and new residents than it has been in a long time. If the growth in the core develops enough to offset losses in the neglected fringe areas of the city, the decline in population could stop, and reverse.

Long term, improvements in transportation and education, and finding a way to bring sufficient retail back into the city to support a population of, let's say eventually 1.1 or 1.2 million, is what it's going to take to bring people back. So I would say there's positive momentum but a lot of work yet to be done.

I would bet on slightly lower or flat population in Detroit [[if we see the real numbers) but for Duggan's sake he better be right because by his own words his first term will be a failure if he doesn't grow the population.

iirc it was a few years ago that a small amount of growth was projected so I definitely believe that there will be growth, especially if there's new information [[is there?) or if Duggan is doubling down on it.

Until you have safe neighborhoods and good schools,... you WILL NOT see any significant new single family home construction or even renovation.

Yes you will have younger people renting apartments and lofts,.. and even some wealthy rehabbing mansions [[that can afford to send their children to private schools).

Nearly all of the people moving into Detroit are temporary at this point. When they start thinking about having children,.. they will buy a home elsewhere.
    Last edited by Bigdd; August-25-16 at 09:10 PM.

I think there's a lot of truth to that but this "resurgence" has been going on since around 2006, 10 years, and it's only getting stronger and stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    Until you have safe neighborhoods and good schools,... you WILL NOT see any significant new single family home construction or even renovation.
    I'm not sure we need more single family home construction. We have way too much supply as it is. Renovation, I could buy, but construction doesn't need to be done on a massive scale.

Nearly all of the people moving into Detroit are temporary at this point. When they start thinking about having children,.. they will buy a home elsewhere.
    I find this concept puzzling. Most successful cities are filled with transitional people. Manhattan is a revolving door. San Francisco real estate prices are not conducive for raising a family.

The 2010 census shows Ann Arbor as having 45,000 households of which only 21,000 are families. Think about that...more than 50% of the households in Ann Arbor are not families settling down but more likely people who will move away in the next five years.

Heavens to Betsy...50% of Ann Arbor households plan to move in 5 years.

There is nothing wrong with building a core downtown around people who will likely be gone in 3-5 years. Hell, in most cities, that's exactly what is working best.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post
    Until you have safe neighborhoods and good schools....
    I agree with some parts of your argument. Everyone on this forum wants DPS to help kids to obtain the best possible education on par with other school districts in the metro area, unless some cold hearted state congressmen are on this forum. Knowing that this is possible with actual investment for the district and oversight over administration to see that funds are properly used is needed desperately, we need to be politically active as this seems to be a completely political issue at this point.

Building the city outside of that for now is totally possible for individuals, couples, and families without K-12 aged children. We shouldn't halt urban development just because the schools are not being taken care of at all by our state government. Broadening the tax base and attracting all different kinds of residents should be a goal when trying to repopulate the city's core. The east and west sides will continue to empty, but the core of the city has seen population growth and will definitely continue to see that.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast