Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New Residential In Eastern Market "Russell Flats"

I'm not a fan of the gray panels, but I've been waiting to hear about some residential development in Eastern Market. That being said, I'll believe it when the shovels are actually in the ground.

http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/...arket-in-2018/

Not my favorite but it looks like it will match what they are proposing for Shed 4.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    Not my favorite but it looks like it will match what they are proposing for Shed 4.
    Where are the renderings for Shed 4?

I'm curious to see because this building design looks like it has way too many different things going on.

Quote Originally Posted by BMoo View Post
    Where are the renderings for Shed 4?

I'm curious to see because this building design looks like it has way too many different things going on.
    A screenshot I was able to grab from a local realtor.

Name:  shed4.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  64.1 KB

The dbusiness article quotes the developer as saying there will be a 2nd floor patio on the west side of the building, but the rendering shows it on the east. The developer also says there will be space for a restaurant on Russell, but the rendering shows a parking garage fronting Russell, with no ground floor retail. It would make a lot more sense the way the developer describes it, and not like the rendering shows it. I'm not misinterpreting the rendering, am I? Let's hope I am, or the rendering is wrong.

Residential and mixed use development around Eastern Market [[live/work spaces, artists' lofts...) makes a lot of sense.

I had the same reaction with regard to parking at Russell. When viewed on a desktop those are rendered tables and chairs. The spacing and lighting makes them appear to be cars, but they aren't....thankfully

Good call on the chairs. I thought it was a parking deck as well.

The building will be right up against Burt's. It's length is along Alfred Street. The rendering enhances downtown buildings like the Penobscot Building that would not stand out so in reality.

BTW, the Shed 4 development rendering looks like it will consist of cargo containers, which it won't but at first glance that's what I see. Also, looks like the front entrance takes you up a flight of stairs that's more intense than the steps Rocky takes to reach the Philly Art Museum[[?). That is by far the hottest mess of a rendering I have ever seen.
    Last edited by royce; August-25-16 at 01:06 AM.

Shed 4 rendering = Hot Mess. Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    The building will be right up against Burt's. It's length is along Alfred Street. The rendering enhances downtown buildings like the Penobscot Building that would not stand out so in reality.

BTW, the Shed 4 development rendering looks like it will consist of cargo containers, which it won't but at first glance that's what I see. Also, looks like the front entrance takes you up a flight of stairs that's more intense than the steps Rocky takes to reach the Philly Art Museum[[?). That is by far the hottest mess of a rendering I have ever seen.

Yes thanks for the clarification, hybridy. Glad to hear it. Even if it still looks like a garage on my desktop. And I remain confused about the patio that is supposed to face West.

I suspect the image of Shed 4 may be distorted to stretch vertically. Those stairs are only one [[tall) story, but look so steep they couldn't be legal.

I agree the design has elements that are reminiscent of shipping containers, only much better. I actually like it, but my tastes in architecture run neither the ostentatious nor the traditional. It would be awesome if the orange vertical shutters / brise soleil panels on the upper floors could be individually mechanically opened and closed from inside. It looks like maybe they can. Sometimes I appreciate a dollop of clean hot mess, and this is the place for it.
    Last edited by bust; August-25-16 at 02:06 PM.

I tried to un-skew the perspective on this image. I think part of what makes it look so sort of wonky in your post is the fact that since the picture of the rendering was taken from off to the side, it takes what's already likely an exaggerated perspective and amplifies it.

Looks a little better this way:
    Name:  Shed 4 fixed perspective.jpg
Views: 1060
Size:  57.4 KB

If anyone has gotten a chance to read some of the details found in the Eastern Market 2025 Strategy, it seems to suggest to me that the structure built on this site will basically encompass or incorporate something similar to the existing Shed 4. So possibly that narrow band of vendor stands cutting through the ground floor of the new structure.

I gotta say, I kind of dig that as an idea.

Link to 2025 Strategy: http://9b32aa63de0c5aa2a1c4-ac3abd6e...res-160204.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    A screenshot I was able to grab from a local realtor.

Name:  shed4.jpg
Views: 1433
Size:  64.1 KB

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    The dbusiness article quotes the developer as saying there will be a 2nd floor patio on the west side of the building, but the rendering shows it on the east. The developer also says there will be space for a restaurant on Russell, but the rendering shows a parking garage fronting Russell, with no ground floor retail. It would make a lot more sense the way the developer describes it, and not like the rendering shows it. I'm not misinterpreting the rendering, am I? Let's hope I am, or the rendering is wrong.

Residential and mixed use development around Eastern Market [[live/work spaces, artists' lofts...) makes a lot of sense.
    I'm guessing the first two floors on Russell are the garage, and a terrace for the restaurant is on top. That would be the third floor anyway. The patio for tenants which is described as being on the 2nd floor is out of site at the back of the building on this rendering [[the Rivard Street side). If so, I'm curious what will be on the floor below the patio? Is this perhaps some of the small gallery/business space they describe?
    Last edited by downtownguy; August-25-16 at 04:08 PM.

construction needs to take place now. more diverse housing is needed in Detroit proper.

Looks like a garage to me as well.

So I assume that the developer really wants a parking garage, but somebody had a requirement for apartments. So he called them apartments and will get his approval, then she'll switch back to parking.

What I'm less clear about is why? There's a need for parking on weekends for sure, but will people pay enough to finance new construction? Perhaps there's another developer looking to build a larger apartment building that'll use this as her required # of parking spaces.