Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Impressions Of Rio

What do forum members think of Rio and the Olympics? Never been there myself, but not impressed. Should Detroit or the region pursue hosting this event?

Impressions Of Rio

I always liked that song and I liked Duran-Duran. They had a couple others that were big hits too.

I didn't watch enough to get an impression of the city itself. I think a lot of places end up losing money on the Olympics so I don't think our area should pursue it.

I wasn't surprised on how successful the Rio Games were after the months of crap the lying media fed us about how catastrophic they were going to be.

"Should Detroit or the region pursue hosting this event?" NO for Detroit, and definitely NO NO for the region [[the region would end up paying for it either way).

PS. Will Obama take a World tour after his golfing to apologise for our success at the Games?
    PPS. Woke up on the wrong side of the bed again today!
    Last edited by coracle; August-23-16 at 11:07 AM.

I gave up on it when it got to the Muppets on ice part. Very lame when it comes to the L.A. spectacle in 84. I wish them the best though,with washed up body parts. sickness. and Detroit Every day Crime. Rio we can show you a few things.

Most cities / countries take a bath on the Olympics. Building out the venues costs a *ton* of money, and massive overages are the norm.

Some cities manage to make use of the venues they build, but a close look at the cost/benefit analysis should be done. Federal, state and city governments are likely going to spend upwards of $40 billion dollars - is building a big, fancy aquatics center *really* going to help out the city? Or could that money be better used to, say, flesh out mass transit. Or build better homeless shelters and fund homeless programs. Or provide loans to get small business off the ground.

This is why people were attacking the torch runners in Rio. These were the poorest of the poor, watching their broke country build billion dollar sports complexes that will, most likely, only be used a few times.

Think *very* carefully before you support an Olympics in your city.