Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Street corner BBQ

Yeah, I know that most of the guys I see grilling ribs and such on homemade grills on street corners are probably not licensed. not much hand washing going on, or adequate refrigeration, etc. But you cannot deny how good their food tastes. And frankly, I've never become sick after eating their food. Most of these guys are on the same street corner day after day, and I'm just wondering what your favorite spots are. I think it would be great to have some sort of competition to find out who makes the best ribs. I'm not talking about Slo's or any of the restaurants - I want real, down-to-earth Detroiters cooking ribs from an old oil barrel the same way they've done it for years.

So where are some of these corners at?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    So where are some of these corners at?
    Usually where two streets intersect.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGeds View Post
    Yeah, I know that most of the guys I see grilling ribs and such on homemade grills on street corners are probably not licensed. not much hand washing going on, or adequate refrigeration, etc. But you cannot deny how good their food tastes. And frankly, I've never become sick after eating their food. Most of these guys are on the same street corner day after day, and I'm just wondering what your favorite spots are. I think it would be great to have some sort of competition to find out who makes the best ribs. I'm not talking about Slo's or any of the restaurants - I want real, down-to-earth Detroiters cooking ribs from an old oil barrel the same way they've done it for years.
    These type of people are not allowedi in cities like chicago - unless they have a license. So Detroit should do the same, license them! I wouldn't buy ribs or any food from someone who was on the corner. I would buy from a food truck, and maybe that's what the city should aim for.

What would the difference between the food of the guy doing it on the corner as opposed to his backyard for Sunday afternoon picnic?

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    What would the difference between the food of the guy doing it on the corner as opposed to his backyard for Sunday afternoon picnic?
    In one scenario the food is being made, without compensation, for guests at a private residence or public park. In the other scenario the food is being sold, for profit, within a public right of way on a street.

So you're saying, why have restaurant food inspectors?

Street food is the norm in most of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    In one scenario the food is being made, without compensation, for guests at a private residence or public park. In the other scenario the food is being sold, for profit, within a public right of way on a street.
    Well yes those are the glaring differences. I mean, what's the difference in food being cooked?

And 401don, I'm not necessarily saying that but I feel if you're walking up to a random guy on a Detroit street BBQing, I would be weary but I'm not sure there's a difference between the quality you would find at a neighborhood BBQ and these street vendors. I don't think they're out to poison people with listeria or salmonella. They probably love BBQing and are making a quick buck.

Cleanliness is the difference. I don't eat at everyone's BBQ! Depends on who's cooking and their hygienic practices relative to food handling, hand washing etc. These factors are important. Though if you thought/ think too much about it you'd not eat anywhere.

Even fancy and five star restaurants with 'Safeserv' certificates on the wall can be nasty and unclean back in the kitchen and in their food storage areas. Plenty of shows talk about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Cleanliness is the difference. I don't eat at everyone's BBQ! Depends on who's cooking and their hygienic practices relative to food handling, hand washing etc. These factors are important. Though if you thought/ think too much about it you'd not eat anywhere.
    No offense but that's an odd thing to do. The point of the BBQ is to go and eat the food of the host, the burgers, sausages, ribs, etc...

But this is what I'm saying. If you took the grill master from the street-corner and placed him into his backyard what difference would there be? Why would the street-corner grill master want to serve his "customers" undercooked meat? I think it's because we are so "brainwashed", for lack of a better term not coming to me, into thinking about food inspection and cleanliness in restaurants. I went to Marrakesh [[almost 10 years ago now...sigh...) and the entire Djamaa el Fna market has street food vendors. Did I think it anything of it? No because it was delicious!

Sure we need food inspectors because there's much more food diversity so to speak and so many different hands touching it. This is just two/three guys grilling for fun and making a quick buck doing what they love.

No offense but that's an odd thing to do. The point of the BBQ is to go and eat the food of the host, the burgers, sausages, ribs, etc...

But this is what I'm saying. If you took the grill master from the street-corner and placed him into his backyard what difference would there be? Why would the street-corner grill master want to serve his "customers" undercooked meat? I think it's because we are so "brainwashed", for lack of a better term not coming to me, into thinking about food inspection and cleanliness in restaurants. I went to Marrakesh [[almost 10 years ago now...sigh...) and the entire Djamaa el Fna market has street food vendors. Did I think it anything of it? No because it was delicious!

Sure we need food inspectors because there's much more food diversity so to speak and so many different hands touching it. This is just two/three guys grilling for fun and making a quick buck doing what they love.
    If a person dies from salmonella or something else, isn't the gov't complicit if they knowingly allow these places to operate. Just as food trucks had to be licensed to stop rogue operators, I don't see how these can be allowed. I did see the episode of Anthony Bourdain on CNN where he bought ribs off the street in Detroit then went into their home for the sides. They even allowed folks to sit down in their house to eat.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    If a person dies from salmonella or something else, isn't the gov't complicit if they knowingly allow these places to operate. Just as food trucks had to be licensed to stop rogue operators, I don't see how these can be allowed. I did see the episode of Anthony Bourdain on CNN where he bought ribs off the street in Detroit then went into their home for the sides. They even allowed folks to sit down in their house to eat.
    Well this has been a prime Detroit issue. There's been so much shit that people have gotten away with over the past 25+ years because of Detroit's ineffective government and police. This, Belle Isle, running red lights [[which I still see).

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post

Even fancy and five star restaurants with 'Safeserv' certificates on the wall can be nasty and unclean back in the kitchen and in their food storage areas. Plenty of shows talk about this.
    Actually it's ServeSafe and is simply a certificate that the person named on that certificate has passed a full day course and test covering safe food serving practices. does not mean they will actually follow them.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    No the govt. is not complicit as no one inspector can be on site 24/7 to insure proper food safety procedures are being carried out. HOWEVER, if a food safety inspector overlooks safety issues or does not close an operation down after one unsuccessful attempt by the food vendor to correct significant problems, then the "govt." might be complicit.

If you ever read the published reports you'll find that the most common offense is that there was no one on site that was ServeSafe certified when the inspector visited.

Churches across America sell fish dinners outside in the summer, what is the difference? As far as cleanliness I think people get sick more from established restaurants than people on corners selling food. There are a few I could name but some people might try to get them shut down. Let the people live and get their money.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago48 View Post
    These type of people are not allowedi in cities like chicago - unless they have a license. So Detroit should do the same, license them! I wouldn't buy ribs or any food from someone who was on the corner. I would buy from a food truck, and maybe that's what the city should aim for.
    And that's why we're tougher in Detroit. Boo!

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpeteer View Post
    No the govt. is not complicit as no one inspector can be on site 24/7 to insure proper food safety procedures are being carried out. HOWEVER, if a food safety inspector overlooks safety issues or does not close an operation down after one unsuccessful attempt by the food vendor to correct significant problems, then the "govt." might be complicit. If you ever read the published reports you'll find that the most common offense is that there was no one on site that was ServeSafe certified when the inspector visited.
    You're talking about restaurants, etc. where inspections occur. I'm talking about knowingly allowing these places to operate unlicensed and with zero inspections.

Restaurant inspections are important to public health. All public food operations are a risk for disease transmission. Look at the current Hepatitis outbreak in Hawaii.

While corner vendors can be a public health problem, its much less likely -- since one or two individuals probably has control over the entire operation, and probably follows decent 'home' standards of health -- cleanliness, refrigeration, inspection. But only probably. They can be a risk.

So we have two different risks 1) Unsafe food preparation, usually in larger operations, and 2) regulatory strangling of new market entrants and 'mom & pop' operations. We balance this by focusing our limited inspection capacity into larger operations.

Is this common in Detroit? I've seen the BBQ dudes once or twice, but doesn't seem to be some super-typical Detroit neighborhood phenomenon [[though, to be fair, I'm not in these neighborhoods every day).

The only place in Detroit where street corner vending seems to be the norm is SW Detroit, with the Mexicans selling paletas and stuff.

I would try street corner BBQ, though. I've eaten street food in the third world, I'll take my chances here.

Yes, as Wesley says, the problem is compounded by the fact that if you get sick, will you be able to find the operator?
    All these restaurant owners paying taxes and rent, permits and are subject to inspections... Something to be encouraged rather than despised.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Is this common in Detroit? I've seen the BBQ dudes once or twice, but doesn't seem to be some super-typical Detroit neighborhood phenomenon [[though, to be fair, I'm not in these neighborhoods every day).

The only place in Detroit where street corner vending seems to be the norm is SW Detroit, with the Mexicans selling paletas and stuff.

I would try street corner BBQ, though. I've eaten street food in the third world, I'll take my chances here.
    Thanx for stepping up to the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Thanx for stepping up to the plate.
    So where are we talking? I see some grilling at Mack & Bewick on the way to work but not much else.

One positive difference in street bar BBQ versus restaurants is you can see exactly what the cook is doing and how he/she does it. Behind "closed doors" they could be doing anything and you wouldn't know it was bad until some scandal breaks.

It seems to me that there used to be more of these folks around than I've seen for the past couple of summers. So, perhaps the city & the police actually are cracking down on them?

The guys who used to cook by the parking lot of the Indian Village Market on Jefferson sure made some delicious ribs & chicken, and were also very friendly and funny. Haven't seen them for a while and miss them and their food.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast