Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dream Cruise snubbing Detroit .

Why doesn't Detroit allow the Dream Cruise to cruise south to Downtown or even to Six Mile road?

The Dream Cruize is a throwback event where people replicate what they did in their youth. People rarely ever cruised Detroit in the day. Multiple reasons,.. one being street cars that were there until the mid 50's.

But probably the biggest reasons are that Detroit is an older city than Royal Oak and Birmingham,.. and was built around streetcars and not the automobile. As such, there aren't a lot of places to park. Buildings built right up to the sidewalk with only perhaps a few parallel parking spots. Compare that to R.O. where you pull in past the sidewalk and park 2-3 times as many cars at an angle. [[This lack of parking hurts business in Detroit all year round,.. and killed Hudsons).

The Cruize is almost more about parking and sitting along the side of the road watching cars go by,... checking out other peoples cars that are parked,..and getting a soft serve ice cream. No parking = no watchers,.. no watchers = no cruizers.

Thirdly,.. there's few places to buy that ice cream. Other than Dutch Girl doughnuts,.. there's not much along Woodward a Dream Cruizer would want to buy.

And of course there's the safety issue.
    Last edited by Bigdd; August-17-16 at 11:38 PM.

Because the original cruising strip was Woodward between Ferndale and Birmingham. All the old drive-in restaurants were along this part of Woodward and popular hang out for the suburban kids of the area back in the day.

It's like asking, "Why doesn't America's Thanksgiving Parade come up to 12 and Woodward?"

As well, the Dream Cruise was started in 1995 as a charity event for a local soccer field. Detroit didn't cross their minds because it had nothing to do with them and because 1994 Detroit was not "cool" like it is today.
    Last edited by dtowncitylover; August-18-16 at 07:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Why doesn't Detroit allow the Dream Cruise to cruise south to Downtown or even to Six Mile road?
    Better question: Why do you feel Detroit isn't "allowing" the Dream Cruise South to Downtown? [[or even 6 Mile Rd.)

One of my favorite things about Detroit is the fact that the Dream Cruise doesn't come down here...

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Better question: Why do you feel Detroit isn't "allowing" the Dream Cruise South to Downtown? [[or even 6 Mile Rd.)
    That's a very good question. If Detroit doesn't "allow" the Dream Cruise within the city limits. Then who's snubbing who???
    Last edited by Former_Detroiter; August-18-16 at 08:17 AM.

There have been numerous attempts at bringing the cruise into Detroit over the years. None of them have worked. They tried a car show at Campus Martius. They tried tying in more history with Piquette model T plant.

Nothing seems to entice the cruise participants to head further south.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    There have been numerous attempts at bringing the cruise into Detroit over the years. None of them have worked. They tried a car show at Campus Martius. They tried tying in more history with Piquette model T plant.

Nothing seems to entice the cruise participants to head further south.
    You mean Hipsters, who's parents used to drive them around to soccer practice, the mall, and everywhere else, don't care about cars? What a shocker!

You mean Hipsters, who's parents used to drive them around to soccer practice, the mall, and everywhere else, don't care about cars? What a shocker!
    The Dream Cruise demographic seems heavily exurban geezer. Bill from Brighton, not really hipsters from Ferndale or Midtown.

Doesn't seem ideal for Detroit proper, but who knows. I would personally LOVE for Dream Cruise to go to Detroit, for purely selfish reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    The Dream Cruise demographic seems heavily exurban geezer. Bill from Brighton, not really hipsters from Ferndale or Midtown.

Doesn't seem ideal for Detroit proper, but who knows. I would personally LOVE for Dream Cruise to go to Detroit, for purely selfish reasons.
    It's our gift to you, Bham...

Ah the annual Dream Cruise bitch fest! Nice to know some things do not change.

Why? Racism.

There is a disproportionate number of cruisers in the Caucasian suburbs. That is proof.

It's the Republicans, they're purposely trying to keep the Cruise away from minorities and the poor. Once Hillary gets in, EVERYONE will have a vintage muscle car to cruise in!

It's the Republicans, they're purposely trying to keep the Cruise away from minorities and the poor. Once Hillary gets in, EVERYONE will have a vintage muscle car to cruise in!
    Maybe she will start a guns for muscle cars exange program?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Maybe she will start a guns for muscle cars exange program?
    Isn't guns what's used to acquire cars already?

A: not the original "strip"
    B: nobody in their right mind is going to take their pride and joy down there where most of that stretch is a less than stellar neighborhood.

It should and I feel it will very soon. i just got back from there. It really sucks being stuck between 11 and 13 mile for 45 minutes. No fun in a heavy clutched manual with radiators blaring

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Why? Racism.

There is a disproportionate number of cruisers in the Caucasian suburbs. That is proof.

While Caucasian cruisers are the majority, there are plenty of AA's who own vintage muscle cars and the like, a AA co-worker of mine has a mint 66 GTO, that he shows every cruise. The racism part, you brought into the equation.

Where do I sign up for that!?

I already have a model in mind: A pristine 1987 Grand Natty, sparkle black metallic hood, with a fresh new kaboom muffler and that modern twist added air intake!

Last edited by Zacha341; August-19-16 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Where do I sign up for that!?

I already have a model in mind: A pristine 1987 Grand Natty, sparkle black metallic hood, with a fresh new kaboom muffler and that modern twist added air intake!
    Now I have Natty dread.

That will be me! Mine blowing in the wind as I cruise!

I'm familiar with it, Zacha341. An old friend had one. When i saw it I said "that's nice". One Dream Cruise he talked me into going with him. He was smoking 454 SS Camaros with it! I'm not sure if he did anything extra to it, or if it was straight stock. Impressive though.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    One of my favorite things about Detroit is the fact that the Dream Cruise doesn't come down here...
    Amen. I spend my life in a traffic jam. That's the last thing I want to do in my free time is go watch one.

Is it all that bad that many in my generation, including myself, hate cars, driving, and any traffic in general? I'd much rather be in a city where I can walk or bike everywhere, and hopefully use a street car, light rail, or bus rapid transit. Less headache, more exercise, what could be wrong with that?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast