Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Wait until you have kids. You'll then come to appreciate what a car brings to your family.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Raver View Post
    Is it all that bad that many in my generation, including myself, hate cars, driving, and any traffic in general? I'd much rather be in a city where I can walk or bike everywhere, and hopefully use a street car, light rail, or bus rapid transit. Less headache, more exercise, what could be wrong with that?
    4 things..... rain, snow, very high heat index, and Alberta clippers....
    Last edited by Gistok; August-19-16 at 01:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    4 things..... rain, snow, very high heat index, and blizzards....

Exactly. Snow, rain, children,.. actually having a house someday [[and going to the home improvement store for materials),.. having a family [[where your groceries fill 5 bags instead of 1 ),.. playing sports that require equipment [[hockey, football),.... being able to go to a meeting across town and back,.. when you don't have a spare 5 hours to spend on a bus,....

Not having a car works fine if you're single or a couple with no children,.. and you eat out mostly,.. and you don't own a home,.. and are willing to live in some small apartment and work in a job where you sit in a cubicle all day or wait tables. People do it in New York all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    4 things..... rain, snow, very high heat index, and Alberta clippers....
    As if New York, Chicago, and Boston don't deal with the same weather issues.... I'm trying to be optimistic thinking about long-term solutions to transit in Detroit as a possibility. Spending thousands on a car purchase or lease, more on insurance, gas, repairs, etc, and getting ticketed for going 5 over isn't my cup of tea nor is it affordable for most residents. Yes this is the motor city, but we have to move away from a car-centered environment in the city and give alternate options for people to use.

Let's start with Detroit's core first, the suburbs can follow much later.
    Last edited by Detroit Raver; August-19-16 at 01:34 PM.

As if New York, Chicago, and Boston don't deal with the same weather issues....
    But people have cars in those cities. NYC is the only U.S. city where a majority of households don't have cars, and where are buildings are typically constructed without parking.

Even in Chicago, which has pretty comprehensive transit for a North American city, car ownership rates are well over 70%. Almost everyone, outside of poor households, and single folks, have cars. A new 100 unit building in downtown Chicago will have, at minimum, 100 parking spaces.

Basically excepting the urban parts of the NYC area, the car is king in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    But people have cars in those cities. NYC is the only U.S. city where a majority of households don't have cars, and where are buildings are typically constructed without parking.

Even in Chicago, which has pretty comprehensive transit for a North American city, car ownership rates are well over 70%. Almost everyone, outside of poor households, and single folks, have cars. A new 100 unit building in downtown Chicago will have, at minimum, 100 parking spaces.

Basically excepting the urban parts of the NYC area, the car is king in the U.S.
    My point I'm trying to get across isn't a car-free city, it's promoting alternatives for people who cannot afford or drive cars, or want a closer knit, urban city. You can very well have both, that's not an issue, the issue is when a city doesn't support alternative solutions like bike lanes, mass transit, wide sidewalks, tighter urban areas, helping residents and creating a more comfortable neighborhood. It isn't only downtown and midtown that have succeeded with this, but Royal Oak and Ferndale's efforts have helped provide residents the comfort of walking from their home to the grocery or work In their downtown neighborhoods.

I'd like to live in the Jefferson corridor, work in midtown, and not need a vehicle to travel daily, and with alternatives being made available, I can. We can also accommodate drivers with better parking options too. But we can't have this suburban mentality of "if you don't have a car, you're in tough luck" dominate our regional transit debate.
    Last edited by Detroit Raver; August-19-16 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    the the staging area didn't move from Woodward and 13 southward to Woodward and 8 inside the Gateway strip mall parking lot or Woodward and Manchester. Could it be due to entities in Detroit wanted more of the pie than the Dream Cruise organizers wanted to give them so Detroit said "No don't bring it down here . We will start our own ragtag Cruise from Palmer Park that just go around the block

Viva la difference. Some like to drive, some prefer public transpo. What's the problem?

Is it all that bad that many in my generation, including myself, hate cars, driving, and any traffic in general? I'd much rather be in a city where I can walk or bike everywhere, and hopefully use a street car, light rail, or bus rapid transit. Less headache, more exercise, what could be wrong with that?
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-24-16 at 08:05 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2