Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

a.) this is a race-bated thread-right from the title to the premise on.

b.) the OP does exhibit conservative leanings on DY and by what post I've stumbled across outside DY [[like city-data.com)

c.) there have been many examples of conservatives blocking folks from certain areas from voting through means that go beyond the continuous specter of gerrymandering. This book https://www.amazon.com/What-Happened.../dp/1595580697highlights quite well every strange pain-staking detail that pertains to all the roadblocks [[geographical, social, civil, or otherwise-hey! if Chris Christie, the Trump supporting mayor who praised Obama during Hurricane Sandy and has since dissed him afterwards, can alter the commuting terrain for his ends, even be it for petty vengeance against an opponenthttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_L...losure_scandal, then what would stop similar mindsets during an election?) that occurred in Ohio during the 2004 election [[this is not to elaborate on the Florida punch-card fiasco in 2000).

The "concerns" raised for a need for Voter ID cards to "prevent fraud" alone are exaggerated; yet, it seems Republicans were the biggest proponents for them. It just creates more unnecessary steps in allowing one to vote.

This is also happening in Virginia [[and far worse, elsewhere), where the theory is that if ex-felons [[a majority of them who are minorities) who did their time are allowed to have their voting right restored to them, they won't vote Republican.http://www.economist.com/blogs/democ...ction-felonies To deny them any right in this matter is to limit voting. I brought this up in a thread that went ignored.http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ns-in-Virginia

d.)As a person who paid attention to nothing but public radio in the 90's-including NPR [[had friends working at WDET in the 90's)-I've sadly watched as it strayed from it's more level-headed rare liberal leaning to one that attempts to be more relativistic, thus giving more time to conservative points-of-view [[which are not rare, as they are already saturating every media out there from TV to internet to AM/PM pundit/talk radio) or just talking about generally unimportant self-indulgent issues altogether that pose no incisive or direct threat in "rocking political boats". In short, like many things since that last horrible decade took hold, it lost it's teeth.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qujfzq29YN0

I'm more worried about voter machine fraud than people who vote illegally. However, ID is needed for buying tobacco, alcohol, firearms, to obtain government benefits, passports, and driver's licenses, register kids in school, fly on planes, and even to get admitted to the Democratic convention. I'm unconvinced that people who can do one or more of those things are unable to get an ID if they didn't already have a driver's license.

This is a little off topic but people who have served their time and released should be able to vote under the equal protection clause. A mathematically standardized mapping system should be used as a state template to prevent gerrymandering. Also, early voting should be restricted to two weeks. Early voting has gotten out of hand. Some states allow voting 45-46 day before an election. What if a major candidate news story or health issue occurred in the interim? Voters who voted earlier would not be informed voters.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    I thought it was odd that U.S. District Judge Gershwin Drain in Detroit blocked a State of Michigan law that prohibited straight party voting because it would place a “disproportionate burden” on blacks in the November election. How is that not the most racist thing anyone has heard?

Do we really think black people can't read down a ballot to the same level as white people?

http://www.freep.com/story/news/poli...ting/88895656/
    It's just another step in the dummying down, pacification, and control of the masses.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-18-16 at 07:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oladub View Post
    I'm more worried about voter machine fraud than people who vote illegally. However, ID is needed for buying tobacco, alcohol, firearms, to obtain government benefits, passports, and driver's licenses, register kids in school, fly on planes, and even to get admitted to the Democratic convention. I'm unconvinced that people who can do one or more of those things are unable to get an ID if they didn't already have a driver's license.

This is a little off topic but people who have served their time and released should be able to vote under the equal protection clause. A mathematically standardized mapping system should be used as a state template to prevent gerrymandering. Also, early voting should be restricted to two weeks. Early voting has gotten out of hand. Some states allow voting 45-46 day before an election. What if a major candidate news story or health issue occurred in the interim? Voters who voted earlier would not be informed voters.

They are saying within the next 5 years 70% of voting will be done online,given the ease of hacking secure systems it may become interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    They are saying within the next 5 years 70% of voting will be done online,given the ease of hacking secure systems it may become interesting.
    I think they ought to just program it into the remote control. Elections could be like a game show. That way no one would have to bother finding anything out about any candidates or issues, or even bother getting up off of their a$$e$.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-18-16 at 09:12 AM.

Factual answer to the question: They don't.

I think straight ticket voting is ridiculous and should be outlawed.

Also, I think you should have to show ID when you go to vote.

1-I think straight ticket should remain. No one is being denied the option of individually voting the candidates and it is a convenience for someone who knows all the candidates and doesn't want to waste his or other's time coloring in all the bubbles. Why should s/he?

2-I agree with voter ID. But every effort should be made to easily obtain free valid picture ID.

Technically voter registration could/should now be done anywhere at anytime via smart phone app. I see variations of this is available in AZ, CA, CO, CT, IL, LA, MA, MD, MO, NM, PA, and UT.

The registration data could be typed in, a selfie picture taken and instantly to the state for review. After standard state vetting, it's off to the printer and the voter is mailed his/her valid picture ID hard copy and in the app with its own encryption key.

The face has to match the live person at the polls and combined with normal state vetting fraud would be nearly impossible.

We already registered to vote; we shouldn't need to present ID to vote. The state has always had a system in place where there is a list of registered voters at each polling place cross-referenced to the voters assigned to said polling place. There is a signature on file for each registered voter. This shit isn't rocket science. We never had to present photo ID in Michigan until 2007; prior to that you went, signed a card, handed it to the poll worker, got your ballot and life moved on. You still do all of the above but are required to present photo ID. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    We already registered to vote; we shouldn't need to present ID to vote. The state has always had a system in place where there is a list of registered voters at each polling place cross-referenced to the voters assigned to said polling place. There is a signature on file for each registered voter. This shit isn't rocket science. We never had to present photo ID in Michigan until 2007; prior to that you went, signed a card, handed it to the poll worker, got your ballot and life moved on. You still do all of the above but are required to present photo ID. Why?
    Voter fraud? Did you watch the video about the talk show host? I don't understand what the big deal is and why ID is turning into yet another racial issue. People fall all over themselves digging for it to buy a fifth. When a voting station asks for it, suddenly it becomes a problem. There are multiple avenues available to get accepted ID already. Is it too much to ask people to plan ahead a little?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-18-16 at 09:08 PM.

I don't do straight ticket as I don't want to vote by default for everyone on given ballot. I may want to split my ballot in some cases, or skip some areas, especially if I don't know about person, or the issue. No 'straight jacket' voting for me!

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    I think straight ticket voting is ridiculous and should be outlawed.

Also, I think you should have to show ID when you go to vote.

Last edited by Zacha341; August-19-16 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Voter fraud? Did you watch the video about the talk show host? I don't understand what the big deal is and why ID is turning into yet another racial issue. People fall all over themselves digging for it to buy a fifth. When a voting station asks for it, suddenly it becomes a problem. There are multiple avenues available to get accepted ID already. Is it too much to ask people to plan ahead a little?
    If the people at the poll are doing their job, you don't need picture ID. They have a signature on file and if they are suspicious they can verify against that. If someone has claimed to be someone who is listed in the rolls, signed a verification that matches that person's signature and knows that person's address and birthdate, they have more problems than "voter fraud".
    "The Brennan Center’s ongoing examination of voter fraud claims reveal that voter fraud is very rare, voter impersonation is nearly non-existent, and much of the problems associated with alleged fraud in elections relates to unintentional mistakes by voters or election administrators. Our report "The Truth About Voter Fraud" reveals most allegations of fraud turn out to be baseless — and that of the few allegations remaining, most reveal election irregularities and other forms of election misconduct. Click here for additional resources on fraud."
    From The Brennan Center for Justice at NYU

Oh, and by state law, if you don't have a picture ID or don't have it with you or for other reasons don't want to show it, all you have to do is sign an affidavit that you are who you say you are and you can still vote. So, again, what is the point of picture ID?

If the people at the poll are doing their job, you don't need picture ID. They have a signature on file and if they are suspicious they can verify against that. If someone has claimed to be someone who is listed in the rolls, signed a verification that matches that person's signature and knows that person's address and birthdate, they have more problems than "voter fraud".
    "The Brennan Center’s ongoing examination of voter fraud claims reveal that voter fraud is very rare, voter impersonation is nearly non-existent, and much of the problems associated with alleged fraud in elections relates to unintentional mistakes by voters or election administrators. Our report "The Truth About Voter Fraud" reveals most allegations of fraud turn out to be baseless — and that of the few allegations remaining, most reveal election irregularities and other forms of election misconduct. Click here for additional resources on fraud."
    From The Brennan Center for Justice at NYU
    You're not serious with this post, are you? I mean you just threw that out there for the sake of arguing, no? Because I've read all that several times already and I find it hard to believe that going through all that BS, with the signatures and comparisons by these "qualified" hand writing analysis experts you have manning these tables, that that's a lot easier, quicker, secure, and more cost effective, then telling someone "Hey, there's an election coming up in four years, make sure you have your picture ID ready."
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-19-16 at 09:07 AM.

You're not serious with this post, are you? I mean you just threw that out there for the sake of arguing, no? Because I've read all that several times already and I find it hard to believe that going through all that BS, with the signatures and comparisons by these "qualified" hand writing analysis experts you have manning these tables, that that's a lot easier, quicker, secure, and more cost effective, then telling someone "Hey, there's an election coming up in four years, make sure you have your picture ID ready."
    No, not for sake of argument. The signature comparison is only used in the event that the poll worker thinks there is a problem. It's not a common issue. Voter fraud in the instance of going to the polls to vote is largely bullshit. There have been something like 30 cases of verifiable voter fraud at the polls out of over a billion ballots cast. This is simply a grab to disenfranchise minorities and other under-served and under-educated people so they won't be able to vote. It looks like some people would like to go back to the day of poll taxes and literacy tests.
    And did you notice the post about only having to sign an affidavit if you don't have a picture ID? Again, what's the point?
    Also, when you registered to vote, you received a voter registration card as proof you were registered. This, for many years, was used as proof if there was a glitch at the polls. It did not require a photo. There are only 15 states that request or require a photo ID to vote. Why do we need one here?
    Last edited by jcole; August-19-16 at 09:39 AM.

No, not for sake of argument. The signature comparison is only used in the event that the poll worker thinks there is a problem. It's not a common issue. Voter fraud in the instance of going to the polls to vote is largely bullshit. There have been something like 30 cases of verifiable voter fraud at the polls out of over a billion ballots cast. This is simply a grab to disenfranchise minorities and other under-served and under-educated people so they won't be able to vote. It looks like some people would like to go back to the day of poll taxes and literacy tests.
    And did you notice the post about only having to sign an affidavit if you don't have a picture ID? Again, what's the point?
    Also, when you registered to vote, you received a voter registration card as proof you were registered. This, for many years, was used as proof if there was a glitch at the polls. It did not require a photo. There are only 15 states that request or require a photo ID to vote. Why do we need one here?
    I STILL don't get just WHAT is the big deal about getting a picture ID card? "Hey Cole, Let me borrow your voter registration card", "you got it Honky Tonk". If it had your picture on it, I'm kinda hosed, no? I've gone to pick up tickets I've ordered online and had to show ID. Packages @ Fed-Up, and I had to show ID, and yet @ a voting booth, it's "the man" oppressing you.

The facts have already been provided, if you're willing to read them.
    Last edited by bust; August-19-16 at 01:05 PM.

I STILL don't get just WHAT is the big deal about getting a picture ID card? "Hey Cole, Let me borrow your voter registration card", "you got it Honky Tonk". If it had your picture on it, I'm kinda hosed, no? I've gone to pick up tickets I've ordered online and had to show ID. Packages @ Fed-Up, and I had to show ID, and yet @ a voting booth, it's "the man" oppressing you.
    First off, why in the hell would you want to borrow my voter registration card and why would you even dream that I would let you.
    Secondly, were you required by Fed-Ex to register to pick up packages at their facility and do they make you show it when they deliver to your home? You are already registered to vote in Michigan so they have your info on file but I doubt that Fed-Ex has a package registration for you [[or anyone). If Fed Ex is asking you for anything more than a signature when they deliver to your home, it's the first I've heard of it. Usually they drop it on your porch with no more proof that you live there than the address on the package.
    Oh, and BTW, being a 60 yr old white woman I really don't feel oppressed "by the man"; but I do care about those that are.
    Last edited by jcole; August-19-16 at 05:19 PM.

I never had Fed-Up leave a package on the porch. They leave 3 notices, then you have to go down to the center, within so many days if you want the package. Everytime I had to go down to Fed-Up center, to pick up the package, even though I had their notice slip, I also had to show picture ID. But I have my shit together, realize there are unscrupulous people in this world and you need picture ID, and I move on. But my experiences with Fed-Up was just one example of needing picture ID, it has nothing to do with this thread. Your battle against opression, real or contrived, is commendable. "Power to the people" .
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-19-16 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    2-I agree with voter ID. But every effort should be made to easily obtain free valid picture ID.

Technically voter registration could/should now be done anywhere at anytime via smart phone app. I see variations of this is available in AZ, CA, CO, CT, IL, LA, MA, MD, MO, NM, PA, and UT.

The registration data could be typed in, a selfie picture taken and instantly to the state for review. After standard state vetting, it's off to the printer and the voter is mailed his/her valid picture ID hard copy and in the app with its own encryption key.

The face has to match the live person at the polls and combined with normal state vetting fraud would be nearly impossible.
    We, as a society, are now getting on the cusp of where facial recognition software is going to be big everywhere-even in private sector security or commercial use. I saw the software used at MIT that can tell if you are smiling [[Electronic voice of sentinel: "Are you sad? Are you now or have you ever been depressed? We notice you are not keeping up an optimum ratio of facially expressed joy. Please report to your local physician and report back with a confirmation link of your visit, or you will be charged with criminal drug evasion."). Even image recognition on something as banal as Pinterest exists.

If precise electronic personae imaging is being used to impose and nose into our affairs, at least they provide one modicum of assistance in befitting out lives. So, even a simple selfie [[as you suggested) can do the trick as far as remedying this matter of voting.

There was one image of me on DY in one of the archived Fourth St. Fair files, but it got removed. Good luck with this one.Name:  Crochat.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  89.4 KB

P.S.-the only problem I see with imaging folks in the future is mistaken identity with unintentional doppelgangers [["Buttle vs. Tuttle"-for you Gilliam fans) and twins out there [[remember when Spy had "Separated at Birth"-of course you do, it was the most famous thing about Spy magazine). Also, there is always the remote case someone may be some dang good Lon Chaney Sr. out there pulling a Mission Impossible and ripping off someone's ID.

Speaking of separated at birth:https://www.instagram.com/p/6Fr5rcOpCz/

Straight-party voting likely for Nov. ballot after court ruling
    ... The latest ruling makes it likely, though not certain, that Michigan voters will be able to use straight-party voting on Nov. 8, despite a law banning the practice passed late last year by the Republican-controlled Legislature.

It's possible, but unlikely, that the panel, which earlier upheld Drain's reasoning, could now reverse itself after receiving more legal arguments from both sides of the dispute....
    It's blatantly obvious that restricting the options of voters is against their best interests. We need more voter options, not fewer.

Proponents of such bans appear to have the ulterior motive of slinking toward dictatorship. Denying that is denying the obvious.

Democrats that are in government think that minorities are morons and need constant help to survive, they then get the media to spread that all Republicans are racists so people don't see them [[elected Democrats) as racists. Could you imagine the outcry if Republicans said that minorities weren't capable or reading a ballot, or that having a photo ID would be too much of a burden on them? Personally, I have no problem with someone voting for one party, but for some reason I think they should have to mark each vote. I don't even have a good reason why I think that way....

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Democrats that are in government think that minorities are morons and need constant help to survive, they then get the media to spread that all Republicans are racists so people don't see them [[elected Democrats) as racists. Could you imagine the outcry if Republicans said that minorities weren't capable or reading a ballot, or that having a photo ID would be too much of a burden on them? Personally, I have no problem with someone voting for one party, but for some reason I think they should have to mark each vote. I don't even have a good reason why I think that way....
    Let me correct that for you. DEMS want to create the illusion that minorities can't survive without them by ensuring a dependency based society, that will continue reelecting them. An efficient way to do that, is to make sure, all you need to do, is once every 4 years, just go to one place, and make an "X", and things will continue as they have been. "There now, wasn't that easy?"
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; September-26-16 at 08:25 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2