Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

View Poll Results: What kind of insurance do you have?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Self Pay Insurance

4 19.05%
  • Employer paid insurance

13 61.90%
  • Government Provided

1 4.76%
  • None

3 14.29%
    Stosh Guest

Default Health Care Poll and Discussion

I'm going to post a hypothetical question, and I'd like to hear some of your answers to this. For those of you that have health care currently, let's imagine that if you were to lose your insurance from your employer, or in the case of self employed/self insured, the loss of capability of paying for it through a catastrophic illness or other disaster.

What would you do?

Also, answer the poll at the top if you wish.

ccbatson Guest

If someone has health insurance, suffers a catastrophic illness or injury, they would not lose their insurance, so that is a moot point.

If someone suffers a disaster [[financial) and can't pay for insurance, well, that is rare [[not as much under Obama), but can happen. the response would be that I would shop around for basic catastrophic coverage a the lowest possible price...if affordable, buy that policy and work like the devil to get back on my feet at which point I would resume better coverage. If I could not afford anything at all, I suppose I would go without and pay for any care costs out of pocket, work like the devil again to get back online ASAP.

SInce the second scenario precludes the first, I would likely be in reasonably good health at that point and not incur much in the way of health care costs.

What about Employer/Employee paid coverage? I'm sure that hardly anyone has their health insurance completely paid by their employer.

If someone suffers a disaster [[financial) and can't pay for insurance, well, that is rare...
    Maybe in Batsonia, but much too common in this nation.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ccbatson View Post
    If someone has health insurance, suffers a catastrophic illness or injury, they would not lose their insurance, so that is a moot point.

If someone suffers a disaster [[financial) and can't pay for insurance, well, that is rare [[not as much under Obama), but can happen. the response would be that I would shop around for basic catastrophic coverage a the lowest possible price...if affordable, buy that policy and work like the devil to get back on my feet at which point I would resume better coverage. If I could not afford anything at all, I suppose I would go without and pay for any care costs out of pocket, work like the devil again to get back online ASAP.

SInce the second scenario precludes the first, I would likely be in reasonably good health at that point and not incur much in the way of health care costs.
    Try this scenario. You are paralyzed. Unable to work, where do you turn for coverage?

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ejames01 View Post
    What about Employer/Employee paid coverage? I'm sure that hardly anyone has their health insurance completely paid by their employer.
    Sorry about that. Let's assume that there's costs borne by all employer paid plans. I know I contribute, and there's deductables as well. I just assumed that's what it meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Try this scenario. You are paralyzed. Unable to work, where do you turn for coverage?
    You're losing me here. Why am I unable to work? Am I paralyzed from the waist down, neck down, or even my head is paralyzed? Was I paralyzed at work?

If I was paralyzed at work, I get worker's comp which includes lost wages. If I'm paralyzed from the neck down, I'll sell my car and house for a smaller one really close to work where a coworker can pick me up. If I'm so paralyzed that I can't even operate a wheel chair with my head, then my insurance is covering my hospital stay. If for some reason every office job was lost, there's always medicaid and social security.

If I need to pay for something out of pocket, I have savings. I'm odd like that. Of course that might be because I never did my patriotic duty to stimulate the economy by getting a new SUV every three years, a 52" plasma TV, a 3000 square foot home, and eating out three times a day. But, if public health care happens, I'll be a gigantic massive savings over the double McAmerican.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mjs View Post
    You're losing me here. Why am I unable to work? Am I paralyzed from the waist down, neck down, or even my head is paralyzed? Was I paralyzed at work?

If I was paralyzed at work, I get worker's comp which includes lost wages. If I'm paralyzed from the neck down, I'll sell my car and house for a smaller one really close to work where a coworker can pick me up. If I'm so paralyzed that I can't even operate a wheel chair with my head, then my insurance is covering my hospital stay. If for some reason every office job was lost, there's always medicaid and social security.

If I need to pay for something out of pocket, I have savings. I'm odd like that. Of course that might be because I never did my patriotic duty to stimulate the economy by getting a new SUV every three years, a 52" plasma TV, a 3000 square foot home, and eating out three times a day. But, if public health care happens, I'll be a gigantic massive savings over the double McAmerican.

My point exactly. Medicaid and Social Security. Falling back on the government.
    So what's the difference in this scenario? Nothing. People go bankrupt every day in this country due to lack of insurance and catastrophic medical bills. You'd be no exception. All the chest thumping in the world doesn't prevent your employer from jacking your coverage either.
    Last edited by Stosh; August-20-09 at 02:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 4real View Post
    Imagine this,
    a cash for clunkers program was started by the democrats,
    it became unexpectedly successful,
    but then the democrats rationed it and people couldn't find cars they wanted [[sounds like Obama's health care [[so called plan)
    because the government closed dealers and took over car companies.

Then imagine the transportation secretary wouldn't give out information as to how much was spent or how many cars were sold under the program.

Then imagine car dealers were not paid in a timely fashion and stopped selling cars because they were broke [[sounds like doctors under obama's plan?)
    And they don't know how many to sell because the government wont tell them how many of the tax credits are left.

Then imagine that 55% of the tax subsidized money being sucked out of the taxpayers pockets goes to Japan and Korea companies.

Oh wait, this is reality.

Bottom line, get the tax sucking maggots in DC out of my wallet and bedroom and hospital room

I think your handle requires a question mark or three at the end of it.

Health insurance, buddy. Do you have it? Please do try to keep up. I know it's difficult when you have to blame everyone else for your problems, real and imagined, but you can at least pretend to follow the discussion.

I pay some, my former employer pays some. My portion keeps going up and eating into my usable income.

ccbatson Guest

Cash for clunkers successful? Because people rushed to get a free handout of taxpayer [[stolen) funds?

Lorax Guest

Cash for clunkers successful? Because people rushed to get a free handout of taxpayer [[stolen) funds?
    Stolen?

Your brains were stolen by the Rethuglican Reich.

Yeah, it was successful, but it would be more American to give money to Wall Street in your estimation, so they can piss it away on billion dollar payouts to their fascist CEO's. You make me sick.

Stosh Guest

You still haven't answered my hypothetical question CC.

Try this scenario. You are paralyzed. Or some other catastrophic illness that requires care. Unable to work, where do you turn for coverage? And let's assume that you've burned through your resources

Lorax Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    You still haven't answered my hypothetical question CC.

Try this scenario. You are paralyzed. Or some other catastrophic illness that requires care. Unable to work, where do you turn for coverage? And let's assume that you've burned through your resources

You're asking Batts to imagine something impossible for him, since his enormous wealth separates him from the rest of society. The rich never learn their lessons.

Right now he's sleeping, sitting up in his gilded four-poster dreaming of "Rosebud".

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    You're asking Batts to imagine something impossible for him, since his enormous wealth separates him from the rest of society. The rich never learn their lessons.

Right now he's sleeping, sitting up in his gilded four-poster dreaming of "Rosebud".
    I kind of proved my point in post 10 on this thread, I want to hear his excuses.

Probably like I can pay my way out of it, or some other BS. Of course with his riches, he may be right. Hope he has a good prenup though. Things always can change in life, and not always for the better.

ccbatson Guest

I answered the question in #2 on this thread...look back at it.

Someone else posted about the "Mad as Hell Doctors for Health Reform" and there is a video they prepared explaining the problems and what they propose for correction. The link to the video is here: http://www.ourailinghealthcare.com/.

ccbatson Guest

I am also for reform...get government out of it...that is REAL reform.