Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Lear Corp. in talks to bring up to 5,000 jobs from Mexico to city of Detroit

"Mel Stephens, Lear's senior vice president of communications and facilities, said Wednesday that Lear has no specific site in mind or a specific timetable. The company is working with the city, automakers and the union to evaluate what can work, he said.

"Anything within the city is a possible site," Stephens said.
    Stephens said it's possible that a pilot program would first bring a smaller number of jobs to Detroit, with more added later.

Lear might be able to reopen a 100,000-square-foot plant it owns in the city. Or maybe there would be options to redevelop the I-94 Industrial Park near the junction of I-94 and I-75.
    Mallett said the goal is to bring 5,000 jobs here — which, he said, ultimately could benefit 20,000 people if you figure a worker might be supporting three others in the household.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/per...roit/88520378/

How about rehabbing the old Kelvinator-AMC building we've been discussing lately?
    5000 jobs would fill a million sq ft building nicely over time.

As noted elsewhere Lear is also planting its feet in Downtown Detroit. Last year they bought the 35K' 119 State St. in Capitol Park and previously acquired the 50K' Hemmeter Building at 1465 Centre St.

just come and make it happen. if they don't rehab their old place they need to sell it for redeveloping. Housing, hotels, something.

No doubt Lear will be drug testing as a requirement of consideration for employment.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    No doubt Lear will be drug testing as a requirement of consideration for employment.
    Good news indeed! I wonder what kind of drugs they are?

^^^ Hah! That would draw a crowd...... like the food sampling kiosks at Costco!

I meant drug 'screening'!
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-13-16 at 10:02 AM.

The context behind this so-called "good news" is below...

http://www.wsj.com/articles/mexicos-...sts-1471201920

Having a close contact that is a heavy hitter at Lear I have had many conversations about over the border manufacturing and the issues involved. He has said many times that the cost formula is nowhere near as simple as just the labor cost. Many factors come into play, quality control, efficiency, waste, travel and the willingness of management and engineering executives to make the trip/stay with reasonable financial incentive as examples. The competitive cost gap between some nations and the states is narrowing in some cases, Mexico included.

The question of whether Michigan or Detroit can come into play for some of these jobs remains to be seen. Government would certainly need to pull its head out of 1972 to get some, competition for them exists from all sides and is only going to get stronger.