Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Prince Fielder's Career is Over

Fielder will stop playing on doctor's advice due to continued neck problems. Tigers still owe him 24 million through 2020. The Kinsler trade looks better than ever although I don't think Ilitch ever learned the lesson he should have [[see Upton). He will finish with 319 career dingers - exactly the same as Daddy.https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...aej0YGJExLqFEg

Sorry for him to have to give it up so soon, but the Tigers pulled a fast one here by getting Kinsler.

End of an era, really - since 1985, we've had a Fielder in pro-ball, with the obvious Detroit connection.

Fielders career was over in 2013 when he tried to swim into third.

http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index...bumbles_s.html

Don't mean to rip on the guy too bad, but I honestly believe that Prince Fielder was the worst fielding MLB 1st baseman I ever witnessed during 50 years of watching baseball.

I also believe that Cabrera, Fielder, and Martinez batting consecutively in the order was the worst set-up ever. Cabrera could beat them both by a step and a half to first. Playing in a large park like Comerica, it would take 3 hits to score one from first, and double-plays were always looming. As much as I like Victor's hitting, he's become a liability also. He can't hit a triple and he can't score from 2nd, or go from 1st to 3rd on a single. Throw in his inability to play in the field, and he's become more of a liability than an asset on our roster.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Fielder will stop playing on doctor's advice due to continued neck problems. Tigers still owe him 24 million through 2020. The Kinsler trade looks better than ever although I don't think Ilitch ever learned the lesson he should have [[see Upton). He will finish with 319 career dingers - exactly the same as Daddy.https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...aej0YGJExLqFEg
    That's it? Only $24 mil for not working? How the hell can anyone live off of THAT? If I were Fielder, I'd call the Reverend Sheffield ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    That's it? Only $24 mil for not working? How the hell can anyone live off of THAT? If I were Fielder, I'd call the Reverend Sheffield ASAP!
    Relax. The 24 million is just the Tigers' portion. He'll get 24 mill. per yr. for a total of 96 million, so he'll be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Relax. The 24 million is just the Tigers' portion. He'll get 24 mill. per yr. for a total of 96 million, so he'll be okay.
    Whew, Thanx Don, that's reassuring. If he cuts back on the Premium channels, he should be Ok. After all, he is a sports figure and needs to be held in the highest esteem.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; August-13-16 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bong-Man View Post
    Don't mean to rip on the guy too bad, but I honestly believe that Prince Fielder was the worst fielding MLB 1st baseman I ever witnessed during 50 years of watching baseball.

I also believe that Cabrera, Fielder, and Martinez batting consecutively in the order was the worst set-up ever. Cabrera could beat them both by a step and a half to first. Playing in a large park like Comerica, it would take 3 hits to score one from first, and double-plays were always looming. As much as I like Victor's hitting, he's become a liability also. He can't hit a triple and he can't score from 2nd, or go from 1st to 3rd on a single. Throw in his inability to play in the field, and he's become more of a liability than an asset on our roster.
    I think there's a lot of truth to that. However, they got to the World Series with that line up. They haven't been back since. In spite of stinking it up big time in the Series, Fielder had a great year with a lot of clutch hits. I know their pitching staff was killer that year and of course there were other factors but Fielder sure contributed.

Sorry for his misfortune in not being able to play any more, but I'm glad the Tigers got from under that albatross of a contract somewhat. [[They still are on the hook for 24 million) But if Fielder's attitude wasn't so self-serving, he might have still been here. It all worked out though, we got Kinsler.