Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Russell Street Deli and Eastern Market

One of my favorite dining spots in Detroit is the Russell Street Deli in Eastern Market. I say that because the price-quality-ambiance has always been right at the top.
    Attachment 2731
    Reflecting the 19th Century buildings of Eastern Market across from Russell Street the Deli has been a market institution for a couple of decades.
    Attachment 2732
    When Detroiter Ben Hall and Bennington College [VT] classmates Jason Murphy and Hans Buetow acquired the deli two years ago I had my apprehensions about their taking on a restaurant business in Detroit's dodgy economy. But those fears were allayed last night when they threw a party to celebrate their second anniversary. Above Ben takes a break from serving up specialty mixed drinks to pose with Jason [left]. [Russell St. does not serve alcoholic beverages, this was a private party occasion, so even more credit goes to their success.]
    Attachment 2733
    It was too busy of a night for all three to be together, so here is Hans [left]. Hans was also instrumental in the creation of the Rock Dove Couriers a downtown bicycle courier and delivery service, a collective that the partners share in.
    Attachment 2735
    I first met the partners several years back when they were playing handball. Ben and Hans are seen here with Bennington friend Sarah on Belle Isle in 2003. All three owners as also renowned artists and musicians, so their cultural and job creation contribution to the Detroit scene is a dual blessing.
    Attachment 2734
    I would be remiss without giving kudos to the affable former owner Bob Cerrito who firmly defined the deli before handing it off because, well because, restless soul that he is, he just felt like doing something else. An art collector, he approached me about hanging my paintings on his then bare walls back in the nineties, a win-win proposal for both of us as it resulted in several sales to the deli's clientele from the art center and downtown district who frequent the location.

So happy second anniversary fellas and many happy returns.
    • Hours:
      Mon – Fri: 7AM – 3:00PM
      Saturday: 8AM – 3:00PM
    • Address:
      2465 Russell Street
      Detroit, MI 48207

Default Shed 3 - Detroit Rises!

While in the Market, I was delighted to see the progress being made on the renovation of the Shed 3 [but, sheesh, they need to hire a poet to name these places something less bureaucratic, my only criticism].
    Attachment 2736

I make it a point to head north from Windsor to Russell Street Deli at least once a month. A bowl of one of the soup specials and one of the sammies and I am in hog heaven!

Default Russell Street Deli - hosted a great night in the 'D'

Attachment 2738
    Thanks to the generosity of Ben Hall, Jason Murphy and Hans Buetow for hosting another great night in the 'D'. Their cooking is over the top wonderful!
    Attachment 2739
    Check out the bike riding lessons - this even after the consumption of many adult beverages.
    Attachment 2740

I worked for several years in the market for a dairy wholesaler. Bob, as a customer always bought the best high end cheeses. Glad to hear that qualitity still reigns there

I love the grilled pastrami special! Too bad I'm watching my girlish figure these days. I could sure go for one!!

An excellant choice for lunch while visiting Eastern Market. Never disapointed with the food or service, I hope they have many successful years of business.