Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Trump To Speak Monday Det Economic Club Monday

Two thoughts come to mind:

1). When Trump speaks anything can happen and be said.

2). It is in Detroit so what does he say about Detroit, good or bad? [[e.g., some pols have used Detroit as a punching bag).

I believe Trump tries to 'cherry pick' where he invests his money. Wonder if he'll discuss investing some $ in Detroit? Pols promise the moon when they are running for office.
    Last edited by emu steve; August-07-16 at 04:32 AM.

Remember when a Senatorial candidate said "Mukaka" as slang during a campaign speech?
    That sank him on the spot.

Trump has been doing that three times a day for the past year and is more popular than ever.

Go figure.

I cannot believe the DEC is hosting this racist, misogynistic asshat. Shame on DEC "leadership".

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Two thoughts come to mind:

2). It is in Detroit so what does he say about Detroit, good or bad? [[e.g., some pols have used Detroit as a punching bag).

I believe Trump tries to 'cherry pick' where he invests his money. Wonder if he'll discuss investing some $ in Detroit? Pols promise the moon when they are running for office.

I do not think he will bash Detroit and I think he realizes how Detroit is positioned to bring manufacturing back in the fastest form.

Manufacturing is not his line of investment but as president he could direct what needs to be done and where.So you play the game.

Neither candidates are probably the best choices but concerning education and bringing skill trade training and manufacturing back are winnable and supportable platforms and everything else in-between we will not have much say in the future anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I cannot believe the DEC is hosting this racist, misogynistic asshat. Shame on DEC "leadership".

At least you know who you are dealing with which is better then a smile,kiss on the cheek while putting a knife in your back.

Get a calculator to count the lies coming out of his mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    At least you know who you are dealing with which is better then a smile,kiss on the cheek while putting a knife in your back.

Yeah, we're dealing with a circus clown who lies about everything, brings zero qualifications, and doesn't even have rudimentary knowledge of the world. No thanks.

HRC, while flawed, will be a continuation of the Obama years, which have been pretty good. She's ideologically basically the same as Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Get a calculator to count the lies coming out of his mouth.

They both are like two peas in a pod,but it does not answer the 2 questions the OP asked.

As a DEC member, you do seem to forget that he won the Republican primary here in Michigan. So for all the mudslinging and witting retorts one thinks of - there are hundreds of thousands of people who voted for him. Both candidates were invited by the DEC to speak - Trump has accepted, we will see if Hillary will as well. The beauty of business people is they can still listen to a business person speak even if they may not agree with 100% of his political views. If only we could all be as open minded as business folks.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    If only we could all be as open minded as business folks.
    There's nothing "open-minded" about legitimizing an open racist and quasi-fascist.

Just because someone has an opinion doesn't mean it's worth respecting and giving equal representation. I'm not a member of DEC but I hope membership is generally dismayed at this invite.

The fact that 1,500 people would pay 50 bucks and take time out of their day to listen to this guy brag and insult people is beyond sad. I also find it an indictment of the electoral process that both candidates could easily find running mates that appear to be better than themselves.

When a racist, misogynistic asshat wins elections, his points of view are exceedingly relevant.

Do you suggest sticking our collective head in the sand and screaming 'I can't hear you'?

Censorship is rarely the appropriate response to stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Do you suggest sticking our collective head in the sand and screaming 'I can't hear you'?
    Obviously no. That's why I don't think he should be invited. Inviting a fascist means legitimizing him as a viable candidate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Censorship is rarely the appropriate response to stupidity.
    It isn't "censorship". No one is forcing Trump to amend his hate speech. But civic organizations don't need to give him a platform to spread his bile.

Should be interesting if he has anything to say about urban policy, manufacturing, etc.

Should be interesting to see the locals like Dan Gilbert, etc. who are big into real estate, etc. if they attend.

I believe [[wrongly?) that GOP candidates have come to Detroit and demonized it as an example of liberal social welfare policy, unions, etc. etc.

I have NO idea what Trump will say!!

The one thing I feel about Trump, independent of his party, is that he has never held elective office.

Love or hate pols like Bernie Sanders, Ted Cruz, etc. but one knows where they stand. They have held elective office.

The only pol I can remember who has run for the presidency [[as a Dem or Republican) as his first elective office was Dwight Eisenhauer.

Ross Perot is pretty parallel to Trump, i.e., businessman who decided to go from CEO to POTUS.

Why do I say this: Pols have records. Folks like Perot and Trump don't have public records. They can use 20 - 20 hindsight to develop positions which other pols had to do in real time. Good example: Iraqi war? Sanders, Clinton, etc. were in the Senate in 2003. Trump was not. He never had to cast a vote or justify his position in 2003, 04, etc. to the electorate.
    Last edited by emu steve; August-07-16 at 06:40 PM.

Yeah, we're dealing with a circus clown who lies about everything, brings zero qualifications, and doesn't even have rudimentary knowledge of the world. No thanks.

HRC, while flawed, will be a continuation of the Obama years, which have been pretty good. She's ideologically basically the same as Obama.
    I suggest either vice presidential candidate would make a better president than either presidential candidate.

Personally, I'd rather have the smile and kiss on the cheek, at least you know what's coming. HC, while flawed, is the much safer option. Trump is toxic, and a straight up loonie..... Let's see what topic he puts his foot in his mouth on this week..
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-08-16 at 01:52 AM.

I'm not choosing a dog in this fight.... but Trumps campaign has announced that his Detroit speech will focus on his economic plans [[if elected) in 4 areas... energy, tax, regulation and trade.

We already have to listen to some clowns on this forum... what's one more....

Obviously no. That's why I don't think he should be invited. Inviting a fascist means legitimizing him as a viable candidate.

It isn't "censorship". No one is forcing Trump to amend his hate speech. But civic organizations don't need to give him a platform to spread his bile.
    The best disinfectant is sunlight.

Something really important is being said by his supporters. Call it bile, but its popular bile. Bernie and Donald are both onto something that Hillary is not.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; August-08-16 at 08:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I'm not choosing a dog in this fight.... but Trumps campaign has announced that his Detroit speech will focus on his economic plans [[if elected) in 4 areas... energy, tax, regulation and trade.

We already have to listen to some clowns on this forum... what's one more....
    I consider some of these topics mostly bumper sticker items [[e.g. "Less Regulation, More Growth", "Less Taxes, More Growth", etc.).

Energy, as I understand it is NOT another pea in that pod...

Energy, as I understand it, is close to a zero sum game [[although never described that way).

Coal, CNG, oil, renewables, nuclear, etc. are somewhat interchangeable.

Someone in Phoenix can cool their house with solar, fuel their car with electricity which comes from coal or maybe simply from stored energy in one of those batteries Solar City makes.

Someone in Detroit may have a gas heated house, gas fueled car, etc.

Someone in the mid-Atlantic may have a 100% electricity house, maybe with solar panels or even geothermal and drive a Prius.

So a lot of companies/sectors 'have a dog in this fight' [[for energy supremacy in the decades again). [Coal seems to be losing now.]

Pols like Obama, Palin [["Drill, baby, Drill"), etc. are at different ends of the energy divide.

I'm curious how Trump discusses: fossil fuels, renewables, nuclear, etc. ESPECIALLY speaking to a Detroit audience which isn't exactly a hotbed for renewables yet it isn't extraction [[mining) dependent like W. Va, S.W. Pennsylvania, etc.
    Last edited by emu steve; August-08-16 at 09:11 AM.

Note that this speech has been moved to Cobo.

The con man will need to be on his best behavior. He is speaking before the Detroit Economic Club at paid ticket event for a big semi-private club of largely Republican Detroit core business people.

This will be an intelligent issue-aware audience. Gomer and the KKK won’t be there frothing at every word that come out of the con man’s mouth.

He’ll need the teleprompter he says he doesn't need and his big boy shoes.

He’s going to have to connect with the likes of GM and Chrysler who owe their existence to Obama and are now having all time record sales and explain why he wants to disrupt their supply chains and start a trade war with Mexico and China.

Indeed. This isn't a speech in W. Va, but a speech in the heart of the automobile industry. So what they hear better be "Detroit and Big Three friendly".

Should be interesting if he'll address issues like tariffs on things like automobiles made in Mexico [[AND Canada????). When I was young I remember the Big Three making automobiles across the [[Detroit) river in Ontario. So we have automobiles built on our northern and southern borders.

Can The Donald explain how he will treat our two border neighbors?

so is this presentation going to be live-streamed anywhere? What about coverage from channels 2, 4, 7, cable outlets?

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    When I was young I remember the Big Three making automobiles across the [[Detroit) river in Ontario. So we have automobiles built on our northern and southern borders.

Can The Donald explain how he will treat our two border neighbors?
    Windsor still does. Chrysler Windsor built the highly profitable Town and Country although I see they are now transitioning to production of the crossover Pacific. They are Windsor's biggest employer worth around 5000 jobs. They have a history of production quality awards too.
    http://windsorstar.com/business/loca...-for-final-run

Our friend Mr. Moroun owes a good chunk of his fortune to the free flow of autos and auto parts across his bridge. Build-where-you-sell movements on both sides would be bad for him. [But don't let that give you and excuse to vote for the con man ]

Mrs. Clinton will be next to visit for more nonsense her way! Let the games continue ala our two wonderful 'choices'!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast