Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default 2017 NAIAS Loses Porsche

"Porsche plans to focus on trade shows in New York and its most important U.S. market for sports cars, Los Angeles, a spokesman said.

The automaker is also planning to double the size of its exhibit at the Chicago auto show in February, said David Sloan, general manager of the show.

German trade magazine Auto motor und sport reported earlier on Tuesday that Porsche viewed the cost and value of participating in the Detroit auto show were no longer viable."

http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...roit-auto-show

So much for tradition,I think I would feel safer traveling to Detroit auto show then Chicago or New York to which I would not even give a thought to.

Maybe we should stop liking Porsche in Florida.

With the auto industry being global now and the Big 3 controlling very little market share, there's frankly not much reason for many of the OEMs to come to Detroit.

For decades now, it was a chore to do so if anything [[rather than pleasure trips).

So it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So much for tradition,I think I would feel safer traveling to Detroit auto show then Chicago or New York to which I would not even give a thought to.

Maybe we should stop liking Porsche in Florida.
    Why would the Detroit Auto Show be "safer" than other national shows?

Why would "safety" even play a role in such decisions? Is there some inherent danger in staging exhibitions in certain cities?

Porsche is a niche brand and their biggest markets, by far, are NYC and LA [[NYC more for the Cayenne and LA more for the Boxter, Carrera and other models). It's not a good brand for cold weather states, excepting the Cayenne.

Volkswagen has taken a huge financial hit and it would be expected that the bean counters are cutting every cost that they possibly can for a while. I would guess that they will return down the road when the storm passes.

I'm in the biz and hardly consider the event worth attending. Long gone are the days when auto shows showcased cutting edge technology and ambitious prototype styling. Today, it's just one big showroom displaying more or less the same technologies offered to all OEMs by the same Tier one suppliers. In fact, new technology is rarely, if not never, exposed at these events for the sake of retaining IP advantage.

Well, as someone in the industry, you should already know the Auto show is a consumer show. It was designed to sell entire cars, not car parts or systems. The show has never shown features that weren't complete, other than styling experiments. For new cutting edge technology, you need to go to the many supplier and engineering conferences. Things like SAE.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    Well, as someone in the industry, you should already know the Auto show is a consumer show. It was designed to sell entire cars, not car parts or systems. The show has never shown features that weren't complete, other than styling experiments. For new cutting edge technology, you need to go to the many supplier and engineering conferences. Things like SAE.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nort...onal_Auto_Show

Contrast the Production vs. Concept car showcasing over the years. Sure concept cars with innovative features and systems may not have been the core intent, but they did have more of a presence in that past. This is the main reason I would attend but then again, I've never been in the market for a new car.

That does it! I'll never buy a Porsche again!!

Coffins with wheels. Not only would I never buy one, I'd never ride in one.

When the Detroit auto show was the premier place to launch new vehicles, it was a global event. Now that there are so many other auto shows around the world competing for that honor- it's a tougher pill to swallow. How many times have we seen vehicle launches at the Chicago show? The Munich show? The LA show? The New York show?

Personally I'd love it if the Big Three automakers only launched their products here at the Detroit show and bring back some of that prestige to this show. But I also understand the desire not to share any of the spotlight with their competitors as well.

I don't blame Porsche, but that doesn't mean there still can't be some glam and glitz at the Detroit Auto Show.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Why would the Detroit Auto Show be "safer" than other national shows?

Why would "safety" even play a role in such decisions? Is there some inherent danger in staging exhibitions in certain cities?

Porsche is a niche brand and their biggest markets, by far, are NYC and LA [[NYC more for the Cayenne and LA more for the Boxter, Carrera and other models). It's not a good brand for cold weather states, excepting the Cayenne.
    New York and LA are the biggest markets for all auto makers. It's been that way for about 70 years.