Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Another Bad Year for Dogs in Detroit

The media has been showing too many of these lately for me not to comment.

The most recent is the dog of the family members of Tommy "The Hitman" Hearns that got abducted and tortured in dog-fighting venues [[how that fact is known, I can't say).http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/detr...d-and-tortured

Also, this bit about some guy taking his puppy for "a drag".http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/07/...etroit-street/

Personally-though nowhere near as extreme in nature-I was always bothered when I would see dudes in Boston and Dearborn do this thing where they would ride their bikes at a fairly fast speed while pulling their dog on a leash. The dogs look exhausted and ready to get dragged themselves. Yet, when they keep up on narrow sidewalks, the dog [[or what little slack on the leash occurs) looks like it trying to stick it's head in between the busy leg, gear/chain, and wheel activity of the bike. Some may say their dog likes it, but from what I see, the dog looks like it is very tired and about to get injured.

Thank you for bringing this problem to light. No dog "likes" being "walked" by a person on a bicycle. I'd like to see one of these big macho "men" tethered to a 10-speed and check how fast they can go! What fun, huh?

While I'm at it, Detroit is a tough place for animals on the street about whom no one cares. Did you know that animal abuse is now a felony in all 50 states?

Reporting someone for torture, cruelty and subjecting an animal...or a child, an elderly person or a disabled person....to unspeakable horror is NOT "snitching". You are not "tattling". We're not talking about wha-hooing a six pack here.

If you have to do it anonymously DO IT and explain that you fear retribution if you reveal your name. Tell the Michigan Humane Society if you don't want to tell the police about the abuse of an animal. Most serial killers will tell you they started out "practicing" on animals. Everybody talks about change but it only really starts with each one of us.

Thanks for reading this, if you haven't quit doing so already. If I helped one animal or person just by putting the idea out there, then I'm tough enough to take whatever abuse you want to heap on me.

Hmmm, I've seen the 'dog and bike' riding scene and was not feeling it. It would seem to me hard to gauge how the dog is responding without direct input you get when dog is leashed with you on foot walking or running.