Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Automotive Hall of Fame Moving to Detroit from Dearborn!

This could be great for the city as the article says, "The Automotive Hall of Fame is looking for a possible site that Chapin says would be “more than just a car museum.”'

Perhaps this falls in line with Gilbert's vision of a car themed attraction/museum in the city?

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-detroit-from/

Quote Originally Posted by detroitpride313 View Post
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...-detroit-from/

This could be great for the city as the article says, "The Automotive Hall of Fame is looking for a possible site that Chapin says would be “more than just a car museum.”'

Perhaps this falls in line with Gilbert's vision of a car themed attraction/museum in the city?

definitely think gilbert is courting them.. didn't he want to put a car museum in the life savings bank building that he bought from the penobscot owner? this may be it!

The potential is immense. Penske talked about a museum too, could they partner? A destination on the scale of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is what Gilbert wants, and this might be the seed. A few questions that will arise as this plays out:

1. Do they use a current building along Woodward? And if so, what is left [[besides the future Hudsons' side).
    2. Would they consider new build if this really blew up? Would Hart Plaza be an option? What about the underused Ford UAW building?
    3. Could this be incorporated into the new arena district, or on one of the Comerica lots?

http://www.mlive.com/business/detroi...buys_stat.html

here's the article that mentions what I was talking about

"A representative of Friedman Integrated Real Estate Solutions LLC told Crain’s that Bedrock plans to build a Detroit car museum in the building. It’s something Gilbert has expressed interest in doing in some form or fashion."

Time to start speculation on where we at DYES thinks the best spot for the museum is.

Gilbert I remember had previously stated he wanted to put a car museum in the State Savings Bank.

What about the Book Building? There seems to be a lot of space there he could utilize, but how the cars would fit in the building, I'm not sure.

The GM Heritage Center and Walter P. Chrysler Museum should relocate nearby, or in the same building.

Preferably the new location would be along or within walking distance of Woodward Avenue and the upcoming light rail line called QLINE, which is scheduled to begin operations in early 2017, says Bill Chapin, president of the Automotive Hall of Fame. He made the announcemen int at the close of the institute’s annual hall of fame dinner Thursday evening.

“We would like to be on the circuit of stops so that when visitors and others come to the Detroit Institute of Arts, for example, they also have the opportunity to visit the Automotive Hall of Fame,” Chapin says. “We’re at the very beginning of this effort, but we do know we want a very flexible space so we can rotate vehicles in and out very quickly. In that respect, we would have space that would be like a popup museum.”

http://www.dbusiness.com/daily-news/...ion-Expansion/
    A new building is a definite possibility. And they're not just looking at downtown proper.

If it weren't so far from other attractions, I'd like to see it at the Packard site, but I think it is too far and probably too scary for visitors. There aren't so many suitable sites on Woodward below Grand Blvd, but if they were going to build a building it would be neat if they put it on Piquette near the Piquette plant as the two would probably attract a lot of the same visitors. it also occurs to me that the Red Cross site at Mack where they are talking about putting some retail would also be a good museum site.

Any update on this? Are the plans not set in stone for the relocation? I was looking up the 2017 induction ceremony that was held last month and this a quote from the new chairman:

“I am honored to be named the new Chairman at a time when I believe we are entering a new phase for the Automotive Hall of Fame,” Hermiz said at the 2017 Automotive Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony at Cobo Center. “It is an important time as we consider relocating the Automotive Hall of Fame to downtown Detroit.”

So that makes me think this still might not happen... as they are still considering it

http://www.automotivehalloffame.org/...-new-chairman/

The Uniroyal Site would be perfect for this, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The Uniroyal Site would be perfect for this, IMO.
    I think I would rather see it downtown or off of the Woodward corridor and keep the east riverfront denser residential. If Detroit gets this and with other attractions Gilbert may have in mind it would be cool to have a museum pass like other cities and have them all pretty much connected by the Q-Line.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I think I would rather see it downtown or off of the Woodward corridor and keep the east riverfront denser residential. If Detroit gets this and with other attractions Gilbert may have in mind it would be cool to have a museum pass like other cities and have them all pretty much connected by the Q-Line.
    Problem is, I can't really think of an ideal site along Woodward.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Problem is, I can't really think of an ideal site along Woodward.
    I believe Hudson's is supposed to have some sort of museum or civic element still so that is a possibility. The other spot is the State Savings Bank on Fort that DG owns. They are doing facade work but outside of that I haven't seen or heard of use yet.

Would the old Police HQ work? The building is probably solid. You would need to gut the inside and new mechanicals, etc.

I would vote for the old Ford HQ Building in Highland Park. With the Model T Plant behind it could be ripe for growth while embodying the the most significant eve t in auto history -- the moving assembly line factory that put America on wheels and changed the world. All the Kahn structure needs is a little light and love.
    Name:  HP-Ford-HQ-full.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  75.8 KB

Name:  HP-Ford-HQ-enterance.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  229.8 KB

Name:  HP-Ford-HQ-profile.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  84.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I would vote for the old Ford HQ Building in Highland Park. With the Model T Plant behind it could be ripe for growth while embodying the the most significant eve t in auto history -- the moving assembly line factory that put America on wheels and changed the world. All the Kahn structure needs is a little light and love.
    Name:  HP-Ford-HQ-full.jpg
Views: 908
Size:  75.8 KB

Name:  HP-Ford-HQ-enterance.jpg
Views: 941
Size:  229.8 KB

Name:  HP-Ford-HQ-profile.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  84.6 KB
    It's a great building but, just as I wish they were relocating the Motown Museum downtown, I think this must be downtown also. You can't rely on locals to sustain a museum and if you are going to draw tourists and convention goers it must be downtown within easy walking distance. If you are visiting the DIA you will make a separate trip but a car museum needs to have easy access for those casual fans who have a couple of extra hours when downtown for a day, weekend or even a game. [[And please don't say they will take the Q line!)

Can't find the video but when they originally released plans for The Hudson, the video clearly showed some sort of car museum. Thought it may have been a strike towards the NAIAS but now it sounding more likely a permanent museum. Wouldn't be a bad idea.

My vote is for either the Michigan Central Station or the Roosevelt Warehouse next to it, or even both depending on the space needs since there's a tunnel running between the two. Both walking distance to downtown. Easy access to highway and possibly passenger rail service. The Roosevelt Warehouse is also a Kahn structure like the Model T plant without having to drive to the other end of the city from downtown to get to Highland Park. I'd like to see something permanent operating out of there already, and Corktown needs something to draw lots of people down there after loosing Tiger Stadium.

Last edited by davewindsor; September-18-17 at 09:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    My vote is for either the Michigan Central Station or the Roosevelt Warehouse next to it, or even both depending on the space needs since there's a tunnel running between the two. Both walking distance to downtown. Easy access to highway and possibly passenger rail service. The Roosevelt Warehouse is also a Kahn structure like the Model T plant without having to drive to the other end of the city from downtown to get to Highland Park. I'd like to see something permanent operating out of there already, and Corktown needs something to draw lots of people down there after loosing Tiger Stadium.
    Another nice building but again that's a 20-25 minute walk in nice weather. Not a chance tourists, etc. make that trip.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Another nice building but again that's a 20-25 minute walk in nice weather. Not a chance tourists, etc. make that trip.
    Which is what it would typically take me to walk from one major tourist site in downtown Toronto to another. In fact, in a lot of major city downtowns I've visited, that's how long it usually takes to walk. I have even walked that far in Toronto just to get from a reasonably priced parking spot to a major tourist site. A 20-25 minute walk sounds normal for a tourist to make for a major city. Don't even get me started about how long it took me to drive from point A to point B in Toronto...

What? Walking around for hours isn't an unheard of thing for tourists. That's what tourists do, they walk around.

The problem is Detroit is so sliced up, that 20-25 minute walk would require going over a freeway, walking by empty lots littered with trash, or walking past terribly neglected buildings. As opposed to Paris or London, with lively shops and beautiful architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    What? Walking around for hours isn't an unheard of thing for tourists. That's what tourists do, they walk around.

The problem is Detroit is so sliced up, that 20-25 minute walk would require going over a freeway, walking by empty lots littered with trash, or walking past terribly neglected buildings. As opposed to Paris or London, with lively shops and beautiful architecture.
    This is exactly my point and the Detroit tourist is generally not in town walking around for a few days. They have a few hours between ball games, before a concert or dinner, etc. If a tourist asked where to get some good barbeque would you suggest they walk to Slow's?
    Last edited by 401don; September-18-17 at 02:12 PM.

It's a great building but, just as I wish they were relocating the Motown Museum downtown, I think this must be downtown also. You can't rely on locals to sustain a museum and if you are going to draw tourists and convention goers it must be downtown within easy walking distance. If you are visiting the DIA you will make a separate trip but a car museum needs to have easy access for those casual fans who have a couple of extra hours when downtown for a day, weekend or even a game. [[And please don't say they will take the Q line!)

Are all the museums in Toronto in the downtown area?

The Automotive Hall of Fame, along with FCA/Chrysler giving the Walter Chrysler Museum another chance by building a museum along Woodward in the city in which they were headquartered for 70 years, might be enough impetus for a 3 mile extension of the Q-Line. [[A man can dream, anyway)

Not everything has to be downtown, and Detroit/HP is more than just downtown

If a tourist asked where to get some good barbeque would you suggest they walk to Slow's?
    Yes.

If we used your reasoning that it's too far or it's not a nice walk, then Slow's wouldn't be getting enough customers to pay all their employees salaries and would be out of business. But, it's not out of business. Why? Wouldn't it be easier to eat at a restaurant in downtown?

What's the draw to Corktown now?

Why have rents and property values skyrocketed in the area?

Why did a loft sell in Corktown for $1.8m a year ago?

Why are there new kinds of new residential development in the area?

Are you suggesting that none of this had to do with its proximity to downtown and all the new developments in downtown?

You keep suggesting it's too far for Corktown to work. Well, answer my other questions then that I shouldn't be asking because you say it's too far.
    Last edited by davewindsor; September-18-17 at 05:57 PM.