Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Here's a question about boxes. I have a Gamewell box. It is numbered 3-8167 if I remember correctly. Someone told me the "3" was a "preliminary" meaning different companies were called out instead of a standard box. Does anyone know more about these "preliminaries" Thanks!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBBrew View Post
    Here's a question about boxes. I have a Gamewell box. It is numbered 3-8167 if I remember correctly. Someone told me the "3" was a "preliminary" meaning different companies were called out instead of a standard box. Does anyone know more about these "preliminaries" Thanks!!!
    First I’ll give you the location of your box
    3-8167 St. Thomas School, Townsend, between St Thomas and Miller
    Your Box was located inside St. Thomas School
    The above box 8167 St. Cyril and St. Thomas, was located outside on a pole at that location.
    The number 3 before a box number means that it was a school location and if there was an actual box it was inside the school.
    Both 3-8167 & 8167 are on the same running card and therefore the same companies would respond.
    Click on the below card and you will see a card with 3160 as the main number & right below it is 3-3160 as the school location. If either box came in you can see the same companies would respond
    Now look at the bottom and see a letter D and at the top right a crossed out word DUMMY.
    That meant that it was just a location and no actual box was in the school. Maybe at one time there was a box inside the school but due to their reason removed it and updated their card with dummy on it.
    There were other preliminaries, inside other buildings with numbers, at a glance in my book, up to 8. They may be higher but you get the idea.
    Glad to help. I guess my memory bank isn’t empty….yet.
    If anyone has a box and wants to know where it was located just ask. I have a 1969 box location book. Some boxes are out there that are not in this book as they were removed earlier.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FEO; August-01-16 at 03:18 PM.

I knew that but for some reason it didn't come to me earlier.

"There were other preliminaries, inside other buildings with numbers, at a glance in my book, up to 8"

Some theaters and hospitals as I recall.

I have [[or had) a red box book but I have no idea where it is now. Also had a thinner blue book, but I can't remember what was in it now.

Thanks Meddle. I appreciate the info. The box I have maybe actually 3-9167. It came from inside the St. Charles Borromeo School near West Village. I removed the box myself [[with permission) so I know its provenance, which is what makes it special to me. Again, thank you!

Just thought of another one and again, I don't know why ......

How/where did the term 'play away' originate? I know what it meant/means, and how and when it was used, but I have no idea where it came from.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Just thought of another one and again, I don't know why ......

How/where did the term 'play away' originate? I know what it meant/means, and how and when it was used, but I have no idea where it came from.
    Sorry, I don't know. If I find out I'll post it. There are terms in every profession that are used but nobody knows where or when they started.

For you fire buffs out there, there's a great group on Facebook who are Gamewell collectors of Fire/Police boxes. Some of the photos they put up are just great. If on Facebook, just seek out "Gamewell Collectors".

From the '67 thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    I vaguely recall a rig from Windsor being detained at the bridge by a zealous Immigration Officer on the Detroit side.

Made me think of another one. Do I remember DFD responding to a large fire in Windsor? Maybe it happened more than once, but it seems there was one special one in the late 70s or early 80s.

From the '67 thread:

Made me think of another one. Do I remember DFD responding to a large fire in Windsor? Maybe it happened more than once, but it seems there was one special one in the late 70s or early 80s.
    I don't recall, that doesn't mean there wasn't one I just don't remember. Maybe someone else can provide any information.
    Click on below
    http://www.windsorfire.com/returning...of-two-cities/

Note: just found this.
    http://www.windsorfire.com/a-history...indsors-fires/
    Look at the year 1999
    Last edited by FEO; August-02-17 at 07:53 PM.

Fellow over on the facebook site just refurbished a Detroit gamewell box, Number 8340. Anyone know where that box number was located?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Fellow over on the facebook site just refurbished a Detroit gamewell box, Number 8340. Anyone know where that box number was located?
    BOX 8340 Annsbury and Camden

Quote Originally Posted by FEO View Post
    BOX 8340 Annsbury and Camden
    Thanks, FEO. Info passed along. Here's the restored box.

My dad just acquired a Gamewell fire box and I was hoping someone
    could help us identify where it was located. It has the number 354 on it. Please let us know if you have any info. Thanks in advance for your help we really appreciate it.

Box 354 - 15th & Forest

Name:  DFD_Box_Book.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  92.8 KB

Box 354 - 15th & Forest

Name:  DFD_Box_Book.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  92.8 KB

What book is that?

Not exactly in pristine condition any more, but still useful ... sometimes.

Name:  DFD_Box_Book1.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  87.6 KB

Not exactly in pristine condition any more, but still useful ... sometimes.

Name:  DFD_Box_Book1.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  87.6 KB
    Cool find!

Had it for years, probably since the mid 70s. Given to me by somebody in the department, but I can't remember exactly who, maybe somebody at Central.

Thank you very much. My dad really appreciated that. We have looked high and low for that information. Any idea where we could find a copy of that book. He would love to buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Stmpspkr View Post
    Thank you very much. My dad really appreciated that. We have looked high and low for that information. Any idea where we could find a copy of that book. He would love to buy one.
    Below are some places that may have what you are looking for.
    https://www.johnkingbooksdetroit.com/browse you can call / email your request
    Google, Firefighter Flea Markets, They pop up throughout Michigan during the year. The one in Jackson has many venders
    EBay, Fire Department books
    Amazon, Fire Department books
    The title of the book is
    Fire Alarm Box Locations in the City of Detroit, Issued by the Board of Fire Commissioners
    Detroit Fire Department Revised January, 1969
    Note, the Thin Blue Book, that was referred to, was an earlier edition. I don’t know the date.
    It has Fire Alarm Boxes that aren’t listed in the red book. They had been removed as the city expanded.
    First entry of Box with a Zero 012 Cobo Hall Exhibits Bldg-1st floor Foyer [[Southeast Section)
    First entry of Box without a Zero 12 Cass and Michigan
    Last entry 9916 Moross Road and Mack
    I can’t recall when or where I got my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Stmpspkr View Post
    There are two, unfortunately listed as sold, on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by FEO View Post
    Note, the Thin Blue Book, that was referred to, was an earlier edition. I don’t know the date.
    It has Fire Alarm Boxes that aren’t listed in the red book. They had been removed as the city expanded.
    The one I have [[had? since I haven't seen it in a while) was about radio procedures.

The one I have [[had? since I haven't seen it in a while) was about radio procedures.
    Sorry Meddle, my mistake. There is an earlier Fire Box Location book out there and I thought it was yours.
    I looked through my stuff and found the below. Is this what you had?
    Name:  radio book.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  71.5 KB

Yeah, pretty sure it is. Damn, I remember Larry Nagle. I can almost see his face. Maury Roche was 400 at the time though.

Damn -
    The internut and the people on here still amaze me. This will always be on a DetroitYes museum shelf for perpetuity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast