Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bambi in the Jeff/Chalmers

This was taken in the vicinity of Eastlawn just off of Jeff, its near the lot where we lived back in the mid-sixties only back then my Dad would drive us to Belle Isle to feed Lucky Strikes to the deer making our way through the woods. Name:  Eastlan and Jefferson.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  133.8 KB
    I wonder how many more hooved creatures are running around the Eastside Urban Prairie....Kinda cool
    Last edited by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83; July-21-16 at 01:34 PM. Reason: SP

Quote Originally Posted by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83 View Post
    This was taken in the vicinity of Eastlawn just off of Jeff, its near the lot where we lived back in the mid-sixties only back then my Dad would drive us to Belle Isle to feed Lucky Strikes to the deer making our way through the woods. Name:  Eastlan and Jefferson.jpg
    I wonder how many more hooved creatures are running around the Eastside Urban Prairie....Kinda cool
    Very cool picture. Did you take it? Right down the street from where my aunt and uncle lived and where my dad was born. I think I saw Bambi [[the movie) at the nearby Cinderella Theater.

E-S AL
    No I didn't take it, my Aunt sent it too me today. I'm an Expat Detroiter living in southern Maryland, but I'm in Detroit twice a year. I believe my cousin took it, he's a DFD Firefighter, not sure which unit he runs with now but hes an avid hunter as well but since its a few months before Bow season. Bambi will live to prance another day. It was still amazing to see it though, I remember when we lived down on Chalmers we'd see pheasants in the back yard every now and then but never a deer!

Poor guy, gonna get taken down by a pack of wild dogs.

I haven't seen any deer yet, but working near the Poletown plant, I've seen Canadian geese, pheasants, the occasional stray dog pack, and just yesterday while stopped at the light at Mt. Elliott and Conant, I saw a rabbit hop across the street from the plant to the neighborhood area.

An FB friend of mine posted a picture of a fawn seen on Lochmoor street in GPW.
    Wonder if this could be the same one.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle St. View Post
    An FB friend of mine posted a picture of a fawn seen on Lochmoor street in GPW.
    Wonder if this could be the same one.
    I think there are many. My mom saw one in her back yard in Grosse Pointe Woods last year. ...And it's not much of a prairie where she lives. There are hawks, lots of rabbits, and possum there too. I remember pheasants back in the 80's, when we lived a little further south, but I haven't seen or heard of any lately. I also haven't asked. Are they still around?

... my Dad would drive us to Belle Isle to feed Lucky Strikes to the deer making our way through the woods....
    Okay, I'll bite. Why would you feed cigarettes to deer? Did they like them?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Okay, I'll bite. Why would you feed cigarettes to deer? Did they like them?
    Because Lucky Strikes have that smooth flavor one can't get from those generic brands sold at the party store in "loose format". Yes sir, 20, 679 physicians say Lucky Strikes are less irritating than the average smoke.

So, Be Happy-Go Lucky!

Seriously now, before folks start making jokes that the deer in Detroit would prefer Newports.
    Maybe ES CAT meant these kind of Lucky Strikes http://www.antiquelabelcompany.com/s...AMED-p217.html I would hope....

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Seriously now, before folks start making jokes that the deer in Detroit would prefer Newports.
    Maybe ES CAT meant these kind of Lucky Strikes http://www.antiquelabelcompany.com/s...AMED-p217.html I would hope....
    Aye, that makes sense.

Although I do recall reading that birds who build nests using fibers from used cigarette filters have babies with fewer mites. They repel insects. [[Filed under strange trivia.)

Ah yes...we've taken a fond memory of my innocent childhood and will use it as the kindling of a new movement to save the bygone domesticated deer of south central Belle Isle. Hell I don't know why he shared one of his red apples with underaged Bambi, maybe he secretly hated the joy they brought the children of Detroit or maybe it was when the deer stuck his snout in the Country Squires window, lacking a bag of carrots he just gave him a lucky. I will however need to seek counselling based on the underlying and suppressed emotions I have due to the feeding of chemically treated tobacco to a deer that has now surfaced after 45 years.
    Be cool
    Oh and as far as I can recall the deer loved em
    Last edited by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83; July-22-16 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jimaz View Post
    okay, i'll bite. Why would you feed cigarettes to deer? Did they like them?
    lsmft.....

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    lsmft.....
    Clever add on.

Ah yes...we've taken a fond memory of my innocent childhood and will use it as the kindling of a new movement to save the bygone domesticated deer of south central Belle Isle. Hell I don't know why he shared one of his red apples with underaged Bambi, maybe he secretly hated the joy they brought the children of Detroit or maybe it was when the deer stuck his snout in the Country Squires window, lacking a bag of carrots he just gave him a lucky. I will however need to seek counselling based on the underlying and suppressed emotions I have due to the feeding of chemically treated tobacco to a deer that has now surfaced after 45 years.
    Be cool
    Oh and as far as I can recall the deer loved em
    You got me, was it apples or smokes [[by the way, this is the way the whole topic has diverted, if you haven't guessed-Seinfeld would be proud) he fed the deer?

Jimaz is right, those cigarettes are chock full of smooth, flavorful repellents and poisons. There was an X-Files that had Mulder avoid the unbelievable scenario of having spore-born/GMO second-hand smoke spawned bugs from growing in his lungs by-you guessed it-taking up good old smoking to kill them off.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand_X_[[The_X-Files) I think it had the guy from Saw in it.

To further muddy up the topic, I believe I read a story in the Fortean Times about a woman in Indian who spent much of her days jitting about the plazas and squares like a bird and eating the discarded butts of bidi/beedi cigarettes [[the kind I used to quit my ten year habit back in 2000).

We get deer by the herd in parts of Dearborn near Military Rd. where the homecoming takes place. The neighbors on certain streets are cool with them roaming around being placid and all that.

I don't feed them, but if I did, I'd give em' Quaker granola bars I have in the armrest of my car [[yeah, I'm a "Crunchy Kid"-so what?!).

Tinkerbell taking a break from frolicking with the other woodland creatures.http://www.dancingcowgirldesign.com/...90540_orig.jpg

GDx2T

I stole the "Red Apples" line from Pulp Fiction....where after Bruce Willis' character negotiates taking the dive, he walks up to the bar and orders a pack of red apples where he has ever the slightest verbal dance with Vinnie Barbarino, aptly referred to in the movie as their man in Amsterdam...

Name:  Lucky Strike Christmas.jpg
Views: 916
Size:  79.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    lsmft.....
    Hmmmm.... Loose Straps Mean F***** T******?

Dan
    Thanks for that fine visual aid on the "Red Apples" and we all know Mommy Dearest needed a few of those luckys to relax after a hard day shoot

Yes, I work in Dearborn and have seen deer near Greenfield Village and one in the grass island at Evergreen and Michigan!

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    We get deer by the herd in parts of Dearborn near Military Rd. where the homecoming takes place. The neighbors on certain streets are cool with them roaming around being placid and all that.

I don't feed them, but if I did, I'd give em' Quaker granola bars I have in the armrest of my car [[yeah, I'm a "Crunchy Kid"-so what?!).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Hmmmm.... Loose Straps Mean F***** T******?

Ah! Same childhood....

Dan
    Thanks for that fine visual aid on the "Red Apples" and we all know Mommy Dearest needed a few of those luckys to relax after a hard day shoot
    From what I read about Mommy Dearest, she probably took a tip from your Dad and passed them out to the kids as snacks.

Here is a photo I took in 2012 of a fox walking down Fairford in Grosse Pointe Woods.

Name:  fox.jpg
Views: 762
Size:  38.1 KB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast