Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Festa Italiana July 15 - 17

My first time to this event and I was really looking forward. But somewhat of a disappointment. The whole thing was pretty generic. Loved the Italian stage performers & music. But where was the great Italian food? The pickings, sad to say, were pretty slim [[ie., Andiamo, Nino Salvaggio). With the abundance of Italian restos in the Metro area one would think a fest like this would be overflowing with booths showcasing one of the most delicious cuisines in the world. Instead we had the elephant ears stands you see everywhere. The event, alas, is a little old school.

That stinks. Where was this? To be dropping the ball on food at an event like this is pretty lame. Should be grilled calamari and clams, raw bar, mobile coal oven pizza [[yes this is a thing!). Seems like the organizers aren't talking to the right people re restaurants. We should stage an intervention.

If an Italian festival is using Andiamo, then automatic fail. Might as well bring in Olive Garden.

The old-school ethnic festivals seem to get worse over time, as the next generations assimilate and the offerings get more generic.

My wife and I went, although we knew exactly what we were in for: boredom. And were Italian to boot. For $10 it was worth a walk on a Sunday afternoon, but we've been going since we were kids and I hate to say, it's basically always been like this. Nothing truly worthwhile to see or do, there are no activities going on save for the cannoli and meatball eating contest, and they have some pop up tents for vendors hawking stuff.

But like was mentioned, it's sponsored by Nino Salvaggios and Andiamo's. The food court was basically their stuff. Nothing being cooked really authentically or any local Italian Restaurants there. I can name about 5 of them off the top of my head near my house that would kick the crap out of these places. Probably the last year we go.