Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Another Detroit Missed Opportunity: Vernor-Michigan Avenue Intersection Not Corrected

A few weeks ago I noticed the repaving of Vernor in front of the old MCS train station. I also saw that new curbs were put in place along Vernor and 16th Streets [[there are two). So of course I was disappointed because why wasn't the intersection where Vernor and Michigan Avenue meet corrected so that you can make a left turn on to Vernor from Michigan. I realized that there's no signage that indicates that Vernor even exists. You have to just know to go down a block to 16th Street and make a left. The adjustment that would have been needed would have simply been to expand the north-east bound lane of Vernor at 14th and close off the south-west lane, which no one rarely uses.

It just boggles my mind how we can have an intersection of two major streets and there's no signage. It's an example of what pisses me off about this region. We go to no expense to inconvenience people, particularly visitors to our region. It's just assumed that people will know how to get to Vernor from Michigan. Why do they always have to figure it out? Why can't something be simple around these parts? My two cents.
    Last edited by royce; July-18-16 at 04:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    A few weeks ago I noticed the repaving of Vernor in front of the old MCS train station. I also saw that new curbs were put in place along Vernor and 16th Streets [[there are two). So of course I was disappointed because why wasn't the intersection where Vernor and Michigan Avenue meet corrected so that you can make a left turn on to Vernor from Michigan. I realized that there's no signage that indicates that Vernor even exists. You have to just know to go down a block to 16th Street and make a left. The adjustment that would have been needed would have simply been to expand the north-east bound lane of Vernor at 14th and close off the south-west lane, which no one rarely uses.

It just boggles my mind how we can have an intersection of two major streets and there's no signage. It's an example of what pisses me off about this region. We go to no expense to inconvenience people, particularly visitors to our region. It's just assumed that people will know how to get to Vernor from Michigan. Why do they always have to figure it out? Why can't something be simple around these parts? My two cents.
    These types of fixes should be the lowest priority for the city's transportation planning. Detroit doesn't need to make things easier for cars, things are already a breeze. High priority should be on building up bicycle infrastructure, improved pedestrian crossings and enhancements to bus service such as bus lanes. Improved signage and wayfinding for all modes of transport should of course be a priority as well.

At one time there was a proposal to close Vernor through Roosevelt Park, thereby folks would be
    directed to turn at 16th from Michigan Ave to get to Vernor and on Vernor to turn onto 16th to get to Michigan Ave. But like all other MDOT proposals, they seem to fade away,

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    These types of fixes should be the lowest priority for the city's transportation planning. Detroit doesn't need to make things easier for cars, things are already a breeze. High priority should be on building up bicycle infrastructure, improved pedestrian crossings and enhancements to bus service such as bus lanes. Improved signage and wayfinding for all modes of transport should of course be a priority as well.
    I don't think what I'm requesting makes it easier for cars. It makes it easier for people. If we take pride in areas of the city like Mexicantown, why not have a simple roadway with signage that tells visitors how to get there? Also, doesn't closing the north-east bound lanes of Vernor make it safer for pedestrians walking on Michigan or through Roosevelt Park? Isn't there this theory called the "broken window" theory that says that it's the not taking care of the little things that leads to bigger problems? Shouldn't there be at the least some signage directing visitors/tourists on how to get to Vernor/Mexicantown? That would make sense to me.

Ah, yes, but that which is secret or verboten is more valuable.