Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Article on Decreasing Crime in the Cass Corridor

Folks in D.C. will see a lot of parallels to Logan Circle area in the 1980s.

Great housing stock, near downtown, but drugs, prostitution, crime, etc. and eventually the revitalization came and cleaned up the area.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...nals/87010800/

There is some interesting history in that article, some a bit sketchy, but a good read nonetheless.

It held some nostalgia for yours truly when it showed building on Ledyard, which was next to the Michigan Chronicle building.

When I returned to Detroit after my Peace Corps tour I got a job managing this building and one across the alley behind it on Henry. It was former lumber baron's house that had been carved up into about 15 ratty, roach-infested units inhabited by largely poor old white folk, many with alcohol issues.

Nice to know it has survived and is being revived. The Henry house, also a carved-up former 19th C mansion, has been long since demolished.

It was dreadfully crime ridden then and frequently one of the tenants was mugged and robbed, one of the factors that triggered the establishment of the infamous police decoy unit called STRESS.

That area and north to the where the COTS shelter and mentioned Peterboro area are the last troubled areas in the old Cass Corridor and even they are nowhere near what they used to be.

My guess is that once the Ilitch hockey development comes on line private policing will saturate the area, much as Gilbert has done downtown, and the crime rates will drop even further.

I also predict the money will appear to move COTS and other social welfare services outside the green zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    There is some interesting history in that article, some a bit sketchy, but a good read nonetheless.

It held some nostalgia for yours truly when it showed building on Ledyard, which was next to the Michigan Chronicle building.

When I returned to Detroit after my Peace Corps tour I got a job managing this building and one across the alley behind it on Henry. It was former lumber baron's house that had been carved up into about 15 ratty, roach-infested units inhabited by largely poor old white folk, many with alcohol issues.

Nice to know it has survived and is being revived. The Henry house, also a carved-up former 19th C mansion, has been long since demolished.

It was dreadfully crime ridden then and frequently one of the tenants was mugged and robbed, one of the factors that triggered the establishment of the infamous police decoy unit called STRESS.

That area and north to the where the COTS shelter and mentioned Peterboro area are the last troubled areas in the old Cass Corridor and even they are nowhere near what they used to be.

My guess is that once the Ilitch hockey development comes on line private policing will saturate the area, much as Gilbert has done downtown, and the crime rates will drop even further.

I also predict the money will appear to move COTS and other social welfare services outside the green zone.
    Maybe they'll open a more upscale COTS in it's place.

As late as 2009-10 it was completely foolish to park a car on Willis, Alexandrine or Selden on the block just west of Woodward because of the drug addicts casing cars full-time looking for change on the console or anything else of even nominal value. Bricks through windows in broad daylight occurred daily. The curbs were carpeted with "Detroit diamonds" year-round. Thankfully, it seems those days are gone. Obviously it's still wise to not leave anything in view if you park around there.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    As late as 2009-10 it was completely foolish to park a car on Willis, Alexandrine or Selden on the block just west of Woodward because of the drug addicts casing cars full-time looking for change on the console or anything else of even nominal value. Bricks through windows in broad daylight occurred daily. The curbs were carpeted with "Detroit diamonds" year-round. Thankfully, it seems those days are gone. Obviously it's still wise to not leave anything in view if you park around there.
    What should be interesting is to see the area going forward.

As indicated in the article, the arena will be close and will cause change. More police, more private security, other changes, etc.

The arena district isn't the first area and won't be the last to involve revitalization, etc. bumping up against drugs, crime, homelessness, etc.
    Last edited by emu steve; July-14-16 at 03:13 PM.

"Maybe they'll open a more upscale COTS in its place." Honky Tonk, you have a way with words.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    A Obviously it's still wise to not leave anything in view if you park around there.
    ... around anywhere.