Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Hazel Park Chic?

Just when you had written off "Hazeltucky" as little more then biscuits and gravy, corn dogs and tater tots, it is making its mark in the culinary circles.

Suddenly, Hazel Park is the dining go-to spot

Hazel Park’s unlikely reputation as a blooming dining destination is about to sprout a few more culinary flowers along the four-block stretch of concrete centered on John R and Woodward Heights, building on the momentum begun last fall with the openings of Mabel Gray and Cellarmen's brewery.

Standing vacant for the better part of the last two years, Doug’s Delight, an ice-cream stand and community hallmark since the 1960s, has been purchased by the team behind Mabel Gray with plans to renovate the building and revive the seasonal walk-up window with top-quality homemade ice cream and a few chef-driven savory items. Mabel Gray’s pastry department will also be moved to the new space.
    Full Freep Article here >>

Never write off any town until you've eaten there. I've found the best food in the most unlikely places.

This doesn't surprise me. Per wiki: "Excluding one neighborhood in particular with a majority elderly population, the city's median household income in 2009 was $46,687, surpassing the neighboring communities of Warren, Madison Heights and Ferndale as well as many communities in the Detroit Metropolitan Area." I predicted in a thread a few years ago that business people would start to see the opportunities in Hazel Park, and everyone thought I was nuts [[especially you Bham). Then Mable Grey popped up and I thought about you guys.

Now if we could just get the commercial property owners along the rest of John R in HP to lower their expectations re rent, things could really take off there too. Buildings have been sitting empty on the south stretch for 10+ years now.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; July-11-16 at 09:39 PM.