Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Protest March in Detroit tonite

I was told this morning there is going to be a protest march downtown Detroit to nite. Anybody heard of such. I don't find or see anything about it. Hopefully its not true.

I believe it is taking place 8pm at Campus Martius.

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    I was told this morning there is going to be a protest march downtown Detroit to nite. Anybody heard of such. I don't find or see anything about it. Hopefully its not true
    i
    Why? There's nothing's wrong with a peaceful protest.

In fact, every citizen has a right to do so on public property anywhere in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

In fact, every citizen has a right to do so on public property anywhere in the US.

Eleven police officers were shot at a similar rally just last night. While I agree that all Americans have the right to free speech and assembly. Do you really have to ask why a similar protest less than 24 hours later on a hot summer night, in the most violent city in America might be a bad idea?
    Last edited by Johnnny5; July-08-16 at 01:34 PM.

Can't believe body cameras on cops aren't mandatory in every department nation-wide,... [[Especially in departments with a noticeable African American population).

If I were a cop,.. I'd refuse to work a beat without one,.. and perhaps just buy my own.

With the cameras,.. we either know if the citizen was in the wrong, and it's a good shooting,.. OR we know the cop was in the wrong,. and he can be sent to prison and the department gets sued for millions by the family.

Either way,.. justice is carried out,.. and the public can rest easy.

So long as who ever "they are" secure the appropriate parade permit. Otherwise, it's an illegal assembly and folks can/will be arrested.

"Can't believe body cameras on cops aren't mandatory in every department nation-wide,... [[Especially in departments with a noticeable African American population)."

As we have seen recently, body cams do have a way of "failing" right near the time they are most needed . . ..

I agree with you, glad I am out of here at 5pm,

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Eleven police officers were shot at a similar rally just last night. While I agree that all Americans have the right to free speech and assembly. Do you really have to ask why a similar protest less than 24 hours later on a hot summer night, in the most violent city in America might be a bad idea?
    ^^^^
    This , however citizens do have the right to do so on public property, however the city Detroit has a unique history with protest and as a "comeback city" with little civic unrest lately , I would hate for something negative to happen.
    Like it or not , we are perceived as a dangerous city to the rest of the US despite the rise in violence across the country.
    Even though, lately, several cities have become very violent.
    The rest of the country still see Detroit as " that dangerous city" despite the positive things that are happening.
    Detroit has to work twice as hard as other cities just to get a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    ^^^^
    This , however citizens do have the right to do so on public property, however the city Detroit has a unique history with protest and as a "comeback city" with little civic unrest lately , I would hate for something negative to happen.
    Like it or not , we are perceived as a dangerous city to the rest of the US despite the rise in violence across the country.
    Even though, lately, several cities have become very violent.
    The rest of the country still see Detroit as " that dangerous city" despite the positive things that are happening.
    Detroit has to work twice as hard as other cities just to get a break.
    If something does happen, there goes the businesses back to the burbs
    Last edited by scooter; July-08-16 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    A crazed lone gunman shot eleven police officers. Did we cancel school across the nation after the last mass school shooting. The protest was peaceful until a man not affiliated with the protest did something barbaric. Try to understand the sequence of events before getting too paranoid and irrationally claiming that this will happen in Detroit because... Detroit. There have been other protests in the city without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    A crazed lone gunman shot eleven police officers. Did we cancel school across the nation after the last mass school shooting. The protest was peaceful until a man not affiliated with the protest did something barbaric. Try to understand the sequence of events before getting too paranoid and irrationally claiming that this will happen in Detroit because... Detroit. There have been other protests in the city without a problem.
    You beat me to it. Very well put.

To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men.

Be there or be square.

Having demonstrations this weekend with highly charged emotions in a society packed to the gills with guns on all sides doesn't sound like a good idea right now. After the last 3 days preserving human life should be the immediate goal. The last thing that would help this issue is further loss of life in the aftermath of these tragedies.

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    "Can't believe body cameras on cops aren't mandatory in every department nation-wide,... [[Especially in departments with a noticeable African American population)."

As we have seen recently, body cams do have a way of "failing" right near the time they are most needed . . ..
    Do the body cams have microphones? I'm thinking of the situation in Minnesota [[not saying this is what happened as we clearly don't have the facts yet). Suppose the driver informs the officer he's carrying a gun. The officer then asks him to put his hands on the dash. The driver then says he's just getting his i.d. first. As he continues to reach for his i.d. the officer shoots him. Even with bodycams and even with microphones there can be lots of grey in these situations.

Why? There's nothing's wrong with a peaceful protest.In fact, every citizen has a right to do so on public property anywhere in the US.
    I thought Campus Martius was under private management and no longer considered public property. Same applies to River walk. Can't remember where I read or heard that.

Second that.

Let's not let our emotions and anxieties leave us blind here.

Besides, it should be noted that the protest in Dallas was peaceful, and it was even coordinated with help by the police [[maybe as a means to bridge relations with the community). Just because something fails the first time around, doesn't mean we develop a radically extreme reaction formation towards it and just scrub it.

Siding with you guys on this.

If you think a protest march is likely to become violent, you don't understand where most of the violence in Detroit stems from. Most of the non legally justifiable homicides in this city are around drug disputes, domestic violence, and highly escalated conflicts that erupt.

You know how to create highly escalating conflicts? Find someone who is angry and then tell them that they're not allowed to express their anger peacefully. Now you're asking for trouble.

More and more young people I know -- of all races -- are showing a receptivity to the Black Lives Matter movement, even some of my friends from the conservative west side of the state.

Now that doesn't mean that it's all Kumbaya out there. But when Newt Gingrich and Paul Ryan are coming out saying that they're changing their tune on race relations, there's clearly an inflection point taking place in the mass consciousness.

Here's an example that's starting go viral on LinkedIn

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/i-pul...oo-jeff-nelson

A few years ago, I was in business school in Chicago. During a group discussion on hiring practices I brought up the idea of bias and white privilege. After the discussion, my classmate came up to me and asked, ‘what is white privilege?’ I remember sharing my perspective on the numerous times throughout the past 24 hours where my race had given me undue advantages. We talked, we debated, and I moved on.
    But after this week, my answer is simpler. As a white heterosexual, Christian man in this country, my privilege means I live. And my wife and my children go to sleep each night knowing full well that my identity – my religion, my race, my gender, my sexual orientation - will never be the reason I die in this country. I received a speeding ticket and made it to the parade. And Philando Castile will be buried this weekend.

Now that doesn't mean that it's all Kumbaya out there. But when Newt Gingrich and Paul Ryan are coming out saying that they're changing their tune on race relations,

Most white Americans "don't understand being black in America" and the discrimination African Americans face, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, said Friday.

...there's clearly an inflection point taking place in the mass consciousness.

Let the people be heard.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Siding with you guys on this.

If you think a protest march is likely to become violent, you don't understand where most of the violence in Detroit stems from. Most of the non legally justifiable homicides in this city are around drug disputes, domestic violence, and highly escalated conflicts that erupt.

You know how to create highly escalating conflicts? Find someone who is angry and then tell them that they're not allowed to express their anger peacefully. Now you're asking for trouble.
    CY, I think this is the first time that I'm disagreeing with you. It's entirely possible for a protest march to turn violent. Highly charged emotions combined with something that attracts some [[not all) fringe elements certainly has very real potential for trouble.

Yes, most [[2/3) of the violence in Detroit stems from drug activity, gang activity, and domestic violence. However, a sizeable portion [[1/3) does not...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/c...t-hard-numbers

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    I was told this morning there is going to be a protest march downtown Detroit to nite. Anybody heard of such. I don't find or see anything about it. Hopefully its not true
    i
    I honestly believe I've seen more marches these past two years than in all the years of civil rights marches. Not much has come of it. Retraining of the police - check. Oversight by the DOJ - check.
    But not anything much. Black unemployment and wages are still low. Crime is UP. Laws are not being passed that make a big difference in how police patrol.

Well the Dallas protest march was another in a bunch of illustrations that should serve to arm the people. Obvious to me that if everyone had been armed, then nobody would have been harmed. More is less. Ordinary citizens should be able to defend themselves in any situation. The major problem here is that a Battle Royale didn't ensue to save the cops and protesters, and kill the bad guys in one fell swoop like in the movies.The lack of guns is to blame, IMO.

Perhaps to the dismay of some in this thread, the protest did in fact take place and hardly got out of hand. Hundreds showed up and in fact, even the DPD [[like in Dallas) backed the protesters.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...roit/86883750/

Perhaps to the dismay of some in this thread, the protest did in fact take place and hardly got out of hand.
    I'm sure pretty much everyone is glad it went underway without a hitch. Concern for potential violence does not equal hope for violence.

"A crazed, lone gunman shot eleven police officers" -- no -- would have been better put as KILLED 5.

Of course a protest against the murders of innocent civilians is legal, but its offensive. However after a gunman followed the instructions of many of the chants of BLM, its in pretty bad taste.

BLM has raised a valid point, but is failing to win over the public by its bad manners. A wise protest movement would combine its advocacy with some praise for the efforts of law enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I'm sure pretty much everyone is glad it went underway without a hitch. Concern for potential violence does not equal hope for violence.
    The response to what happened in Dallas should not be to scrutinize all protests and those innocent people who choose to participate because of one rogue lunatic.

It's unreasonable.
    Last edited by 313WX; July-09-16 at 10:57 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast