Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Woodward Cruise '09 Memories

Thought I'd get a jump and start a Memories thread before it was over.---

Went last night, visited Berkley's parade with a nice spot in front of the A&W stand at 12 mile and Elwood. I strike up a conversation with the guy next to me, turns out he flew in from Paris for the Cruise and to do some business.

Next, went out on Wooward and headed to Pontiac. The sun had just set and a friendly lady pulls up next to me to let me know my headlights are off.

The lady was REL!

The nicest people are found in these here parts.

Last night, amidst all the pedestrian, mundane cars like Camaros, Mustangs, and old Chevys, I saw a rare, mint-condition 1957 Chrysler 300-C. Wow!

I'd rather be just about anywhere else than sit with a bunch of people who think watching cars go by
    in the heat is a great form of entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by maxx View Post
    I'd rather be just about anywhere else than sit with a bunch of people who think watching cars go by
    in the heat is a great form of entertainment.
    I tend to agree with you... but I had business on Woodward, so me and my [[non-vintage/non-muscle) car were caught in the crunch. I figured I might as well take in the sights while I was there.

The horrible traffic I had to sit in...

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The horrible traffic I had to sit in...
    Sorry, but that kind of complaint doesn't hold any water....given the amount of media coverage of this annual event!! There are plenty of ways to get where you're going without taking Woodward during "Cruise Week".

Had a wonderful time on Thursday walking Woodward between 13 and Normandy with the Grillmaster and REL. Saw Blueidone and hubby at the Berkley Car Parade last night; sorry you couldn't stay longer!! Stopped by to see Luckycar at his Oldsmobile club spot up near Long Lake this morning as we drove the whole Cruise route. It's been a fun week so far...and we're heading up to Pontiac shortly to see what that's all about...the Grillmaster is drumming for Thornetta Davis [[7pm), just ahead of Rare Earth [[9pm)...that will be some entertainment!!

Enjoy!!

We had lunch at Howe's Bayou, with seats outside right along northbound Woodward. It was wonderful! Lots of gorgeous cars passed by as we enjoyed our butter beans and crawfish cakes. We got to talk to a friend walking by, too. My favorite cars so far this year:

Mid-60s Ultravan
    57 Ford Ranch Wagon with early 60s Airstream Bambi II
    Two car-haulers giving an array of vintage wheels a ride. Can't decide which one to bring, rent a car-hauler and bring them all.
    Pink 57 T-Bird convertible
    White 64 Mustang convertible with pale blue interior.
    65 AMC American convertible in pale green and cream. I still want one of those but would settle for a Tempest or Falcon.
    52 Kaiser Darrin, Oh what a beautiful car!
    Last edited by gazhekwe; August-15-09 at 04:31 PM.

Pulled up next to an AMC Pacer ... four of stoners inside ... what were they listening to?

Bohemian Rhapsody

The thing that made it unusual, the stoners seemed oblivous.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Pulled up next to an AMC Pacer ... four of stoners inside ... what were they listening to?

Bohemian Rhapsody

The thing that made it unusual, the stoners seemed oblivous.
    That is amazing. Party on Gnome.

Aren't stoners usually oblivious?

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Sorry, but that kind of complaint doesn't hold any water....given the amount of media coverage of this annual event!! There are plenty of ways to get where you're going without taking Woodward during "Cruise Week".

Had a wonderful time on Thursday walking Woodward between 13 and Normandy with the Grillmaster and REL. Saw Blueidone and hubby at the Berkley Car Parade last night; sorry you couldn't stay longer!! Stopped by to see Luckycar at his Oldsmobile club spot up near Long Lake this morning as we drove the whole Cruise route. It's been a fun week so far...and we're heading up to Pontiac shortly to see what that's all about...the Grillmaster is drumming for Thornetta Davis [[7pm), just ahead of Rare Earth [[9pm)...that will be some entertainment!!

Enjoy!!
    Nice to meet Kathleen and her Mom and Husband.Great to put a face with someone on these pages.Great day and yes it was very hot.My car never overheated but I did.

My kid's mother usually drives it in her Nissan Altima.

I don't own a car, but if I did I would avoid this like the plague. [[and I do love old cars.)

So how was it in Pontiac? We only got between Ferndale and 13 Mile.

2blocksaway Guest

The losers sitting at 13 and Woodward on MONDAY, freakin' MONDAY watching normal everyday traffic go by.

Anyone who is there before Friday just sucks.

Unfortunate enough to live across from Duggans. Found the best place to be this weekend is in the U.P. Just can't see celebrating the clunkers that put the Detroit auto industry where it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by alangbr View Post
    Unfortunate enough to live across from Duggans. Found the best place to be this weekend is in the U.P. Just can't see celebrating the clunkers that put the Detroit auto industry where it is today.
    What ??? Gimme some of that you're smoking. The clunkers didn't put the Detroit 3 where they are today. Bad management that didn't have a clue did. The 60's and early 70's were the highwater mark for the Auto Industry.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; August-15-09 at 08:41 PM.

We went over for a final look and got caught in the closing. They have this down to a science now, but it still is a poky mess, since they only let you off on the mile roads. We couldn't even get off 696 at Coolidge. I think 9 is too early but I guess it has to happen some time. It was a beautiful night for a drive.

Best thing for me My clunker made it out there, Got there to late to find parking from what I was "chastised" for so I stayed in the left lanes and took in the sights while being stuck in traffic. I will be back when I can drive my 65Comet. Maybe till then I will stick to Telegraph and US-12.

Next year reddog go up to Long Lake Rd. or Hickory Grove.Get there around 6pm.You can find where to park,the temp. will be cooler and there will still be lots of classic cars going by at 50mph.

Heading up to Pontiac at 5pm on Saturday afternoon just meant thinking strategically...we live between Coolidge and Greenfield near Webster, so we headed over to Greenfield, up to 13, north on Southfield to Maple Rd., took the Ring Road through B'ham to "Old" Woodward north up to Woodward and proceeded northward into Pontiac. It was terrific!! We avoided the big jam up between 12 Mile and 15 Mile Rds.

Arriving in Pontiac shortly before 6, and checking into the Cruisin' Car Show near the Phoenix Center, you could see that some folks had already taken their leave of the show, but there were still plenty o' classic cars to enjoy. And the music was terrific...Larry Lee and the Back in the Day Band, Thornetta Davis, and Rare Earth. It was a pleasure to meet Johnnie Sue Bridges and her husband, Rare Earth founding member Gil Bridges, who plays a truly mean rockin' sax!! It was great to briefly meet the rest of Rare Earth, including Ray Monette [[who posts on Soulful Detroit from time to time). What an evening!! The ride back down Woodward after 11pm was interesting; the streets north of South Blvd. were still packed with people....and even a bit further south in pockets as we drove into B'ham. In Royal Oak, some cars were back on the road as expected, but the spectators were long gone.

Out and about again this morning, walking up to Normandy and back down, stopped for breakfast at the pretty crowded Avenue Diner, there were a few classic cars out on the road taking one last spin on Woodward. The last of the tents and such were nearly down....and life gets back to normal on Woodward. Still expect that we will see the classic cars out cruising, especially weekend evenings when the weather is good.

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    52 Kaiser Darrin, Oh what a beautiful car!
    We saw that car last Sunday at the Rockin' Rods 'n Rochester car show and talked with the owner for a while. It really is quite a beauty!! Love those pocket doors...and the grill!!! Saw them again on Wednesday evening cruising Woodward.

Oldest car I saw on the road during the last week was a 1911 Cadillac.

And it was a treat to see the 1918 Dort out on Woodward on Saturday!!

Also the '37 Cord...great Boattail lines!

Anyone who doesn't appreciate and enjoy viewing cars from the 60's and older needs their head examined! They are SOOO different from the "cookie cutter" cars of today.

There are 53 pictures. To advance the pictures click on the number in the upper left corner of the picture.
    Take a look at these great photos collected by the News:

http://multimedia.detnews.com/pix/ph...sie/index.html

Luckycar thanks for the info. Will check that out.

I had the Chevy II out there Saturday night, it was the usual "Nightmare Crawl", 35 newer cars to everry older, interesting car--going nowhere in a hurry. Parked in B'ham and walked around for a bit. The C-II did just fine, I "Dream Cruise proofed" it 10 years ago and that job has lasted, she doesn't mind the crawling too much.