Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Curtis Randolph going into Dry Dock?

Earlier this week, one of the local news channels ran a squib on a proposal by the City fathers to put the Curtis Randolph, Detroit's fireboat, into an extended dry dock to save costs. Obviously, fire and union officials are upset because of proposed layoffs, it's importance from a safety standpoint etc. Apparently Windsor officials are also expressing their concern.
    Does this vessel REALLY serve a purpose anymore, is it just a show piece and is it really needed.? When did the Randolph actually go on a real run and put out a fire? Word has it that high maintenance costs have previously kept it out of service. What say you?
    Last edited by the rock; August-15-09 at 07:36 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

THIS document is dated May 11, and will answer many of your questions.

I know the fireboat was used extensively following the February 1, 1999 explosion at Rouge Steel. I imagine they have had runs since then, but I believe their last major run was the Rouge Steel explosion.

This is like any other insurance policy. It may be expensive, but can you afford NOT to have it? It's only going to take one incident aboard a freighter to answer that question.

Well it was at the boat and air races, patroled when car races were on Belle Isle. There are others here that can better answer the question but I believe it's staffed with one man and then picks up one of the rigs if there is a problem on the water.

I think it's important to note that you'll never know how important a fireboat is until you need it and DON'T have it. That generally applies to emergency services and equipment. Detroit, for all of it's problems, is still a major port and industrial center. Along with that comes responsibility to insure safety. I find it interesting that our 'security' services are floating balloons to surveil the waterways and yet we can't 'afford' a fireboat. Security has different meanings to different people. I'll take the Curtis Randolph. I remember her purchase to replace the John Kendall, her naming after the firefighter killed in the line of duty and her repainting from yellow to red.

I just remembered a house I lived in on the river that caught fire. Fire trucks couldn't get to the house because of the old, narrow and dilapidated bridge. The only alternative was the fireboat - the John Kendall. It came up river, docked and firefighters came in. Fortunately, the fire was extinguished. If it hadn't been extinguished and there was no fireboat, well.............