Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default How were the fireworks on Monday Night?

Haven't heard much about them. Usually don't unless someone gets shot.
    Did everyone have a good time?

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Had a good time [[as always). Fireworks themselves were quite short this year though [[about 20 mins.), and seemed a little less extravagant than usual. Not sure what the deal was, but no one was sure they were over when they ended, because in the past they have usually run longer.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Had a good time [[as always). Fireworks themselves were quite short this year though [[about 20 mins.), and seemed a little less extravagant than usual. Not sure what the deal was, but no one was sure they were over when they ended, because in the past they have usually run longer.
    I heard an interview with a representative of the Parade Company on the radio before the fireworks. Of course, he was touting how this year would be bigger and better than ever. A few statistics he threw out was that this year they would be one minute longer than before [[23 minutes vs. 22 minutes) and they would have 100 more shells.

Knowing that and keeping an eye on my watch, I recognized the grand finale when it came. I can't speak with certainty about past years fireworks, but I have felt they did seem to be shorter in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    I heard an interview with a representative of the Parade Company on the radio before the fireworks. Of course, he was touting how this year would be bigger and better than ever. A few statistics he threw out was that this year they would be one minute longer than before [[23 minutes vs. 22 minutes) and they would have 100 more shells.

Knowing that and keeping an eye on my watch, I recognized the grand finale when it came. I can't speak with certainty about past years fireworks, but I have felt they did seem to be shorter in recent years.
    See, I'm old. They always used to be 45 mins. long.

But then I still call them the "JL Hudson's fireworks" sometimes too...

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post

Great weather, great weekend, too.
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/opi...ight/86500258/

Nearly a million people flocked to Detroit’s riverfront Monday night for the annual Ford Fireworks display, and for the second straight year, police made not a single arrest related to the festival.

Give credit to the police department, and to more than 150 volunteers who donned green vests and helped with crowd control, kept a watch out for developing trouble and assisted visitors. In addition, the conservancy opened up the West Riverfront Park as a viewing and picnic site for the city’s top students.