Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New multi-story mixed coming to Ave of Fashion

per Mayor Duggan's 20-min neighborhoods presentation:

see 19:42
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2hJ_IQ_rFc&app=desktop

redevelop former comerica bank @ Livernois & Clarita with retail and residential above. led by george jackson. Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 763
Size:  36.9 KB

the mayor also stated the 20 min neighborhoods [[west village, southwest detroit, university district) will be linked by greenways/bike paths to riverfront. it would be called the Inner Circle Greenway
    Last edited by hybridy; June-29-16 at 09:03 AM.

It will be nice to have some people actually living ON "the Avenue" for more density and vibrancy.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    ...led by george jackson.
    Oh boy....

I patronize Dixon's Barber Shop which has been there for decades. Shout out to the Upper Cuts barbershop on that block as well.

Kudos to the developers, hopefully they will be successful. There is also poised redevelopment to be at the SW corner of 7/Livernois: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ion-in-detroit

I really hope that for the businesses that remain, that they aren't just pushed out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I really hope that for the businesses that remain, that they aren't just pushed out.
    Well, I agree with that, and they probably won't be pushed out really fast as there are still a some unused or barely used buildings in there, but as [[if?) the retail strip gets more attractive, rents will certainly go up. It is hard to believe that some of those businesses have enough sales to pay the rents now, so I expect some of them will go. I hope the more real businesses will benefit from the upgrading of the area and be able to pay higher rents, or alternatively perhaps buy their own buildings.

There's also a pet food/supplies store on the same block as the Comerica bank [[the branch is closed for walk-ins but the external ATMs remain active). For now, if you have some business to take care of on the block you can get away with using the parking lot and avoid the parking meters at curbside.
    Based on the rendering, I can't tell if the pet food store gets replaced by the planned complex. Hmm.

And now there's this story about a guy who fended off a group of muggers. At least he's okay. http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/06/...ld-be-robbers/

DETROIT [[WWJ) – Police are investigating a shooting on Detroit’s west side after a group of would-be robbers apparently picked the wrong person to target.
    The incident unfolded around 2 a.m. Thursday in the area of 7 Mile Road and Livernois Avenue.
    Police say a 29-year-old off-duty security guard was walking home from work when he was approached by four young men. The suspects started beating the guard with some type of object when he pulled out his gun and opened fire on the suspects, striking at least one. The remaining three suspects fled the scene.
    The injured suspect was taken to the hospital and was last reported in temporary-serious condition.
    The guard, who is a licensed gun holder, was not injured.
    Police are now reviewing security cameras from a nearby gas station that might have captured the suspects just prior to the incident. The suspects were described only as black males in their 20s.
    Shaya Zikorie, who owns the gas station, said he heard shots ring out shortly after the group left the store.
    “In three minutes or two minutes [[after they left) he got shot,” Zikorie told WWJ’s Charlie Langton. “Between 11 and 10 shots, ‘Boom! Boom! Boom! Boom!'”
    Anyone with information is urged to contact police at 313-267-4600.
    Last edited by Hypestyles; June-30-16 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    There's also a pet food/supplies store on the same block as the Comerica bank [[the branch is closed for walk-ins but the external ATMs remain active). For now, if you have some business to take care of on the block you can get away with using the parking lot and avoid the parking meters at curbside.
    Based on the rendering, I can't tell if the pet food store gets replaced by the planned complex. Hmm.
    Well I hope not. I use that pet store a lot.