Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Oh, and yes, it would be big news if the Red Wings had a black player who was a full-time regular. There are many black players in the NHL these days, and a few black stars, but you'd never know that by the Wings, who've had very few black players over the years and none who ever became full-time regulars. Despite the fact that the Red Wings play smack dab in the middle of one of the largest black population concentrations in North America. Given the historical paucity of black players in the NHL, the history of race in the U.S., and particularly the history of race and racial relations in this area, it couldn't help but to be a big story.

To me it's not really a big deal. There are black players in the NHL. The Red Wings haven't happened to have any of them yet. I don't think there's any team that would be willing to pass up on a talented player because he was black.

I've heard some people pass some theories about how black people are both disproportionately poor, a smaller percentage of the population, have less interested in hockey, and grow up in areas where hockey isn't a high school sport. Combine all those factors with the cost of playing hockey and you get less black players.

If having a black player on the Red Wings would help develop more black fans, then it would be a very good thing for the Red Wings. But aside from that, I don't think it's that earth-shattering if they do end up having a black guy in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I've heard some people pass some theories about how black people are both disproportionately poor, a smaller percentage of the population, have less interested in hockey, and grow up in areas where hockey isn't a high school sport. Combine all those factors with the cost of playing hockey and you get less black players.
    My hunch is that it's due to the U.S. having extremely segregated school systems and also not having hockey programs in school systems that are not predominantly white. Otherwise, it's hard to make sense of how there are more African Canadians in the NHL than African Americans. The population of black people living in the United States is larger than the entire population of Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Oh, and yes, it would be big news if the Red Wings had a black player who was a full-time regular. There are many black players in the NHL these days, and a few black stars, but you'd never know that by the Wings, who've had very few black players over the years and none who ever became full-time regulars. Despite the fact that the Red Wings play smack dab in the middle of one of the largest black population concentrations in North America. Given the historical paucity of black players in the NHL, the history of race in the U.S., and particularly the history of race and racial relations in this area, it couldn't help but to be a big story.

I am totally agreeing with you on this. I think it is really weird to think The Wings organization haven't scored a top ranked player. On the other hand, Subban has become a big star after his being propelled from the Habs farm team in the playoffs, scored and assisted plenty, and dazzled the hungry crowd.

The subject of skin tone doesnt really come up much here, but Russian players have often been knocked down for their nonchalance when playing for Montreal.

In the nearly 100 year history of the NHL, there have been approximately 80 Black players out of the 6,000+ players to have suited up in the league. 1/3 of those players were also bi-racial. Currently, there are approximately 22 Black players in the league out of a total of approximately 690. Therefore, the fact that the Red Wings have had one Black player in their history is far from surprising, much less the makings of any type of conspiracy.

Also, hockey is a distant fourth place as one of this country's major sports, whereas it is one of the two national sports of Canada. On the flip side, football, baseball, and basketball aren't anywhere near as popular there as they are here.

A Black Red Wings player [[not draft pick nor minor leaguer) would be a nice human interest story for Detroit in particular, but he wouldn't increase attendance nor participation. What would increase participation would be more youth leagues which would eventually lead to more play at the high school, juniors, and college levels. From there, those players could go on to the minor leagues as well as the NHL.

People spend far too much time thinking about and worrying about race. There is only one race that matters and that is the human race. Who gives a damn about a person's skin color?

Quote Originally Posted by SyGolden48236 View Post
    People spend far too much time thinking about and worrying about race. There is only one race that matters and that is the human race. Who gives a damn about a person's skin color?
    Colorblindness isn't a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Colorblindness isn't a virtue.
    Uh, yeah it is.

That's kind of the whole point of developing a civil society; one where inherent physical characteristics don't limit ones existence.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Uh, yeah it is.

That's kind of the whole point of developing a civil society; one where inherent physical characteristics don't limit ones existence.
    Until racial inequities are rectified, color blindness is not a virtue. You may seem like a "progressive" or "open-minded" but you're not. You cannot tell me black, Hispanic, and Native communities are not disproportionately negatively affected in many ways [[crime rate, poverty, drug use, incarceration, child mortality, housing, etc) in American society. They are affected in different ways and we as a society have to try to fix them and looking at them "color-blindly" does not help.

Therefore, color blindness is not a virtue. Period.

I've been trying to stay out of this SOS, but here's my $.02. Let's forget all the racial Kool-Aid for a second. You want to be a NHL player? Then get some skates, practice your ass-off, get very good and be able to hold up your end in a pro game. I'm sure @ that point no one's going to say "Nah, she's Black".

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I've been trying to stay out of this SOS, but here's my $.02. Let's forget all the racial Kool-Aid for a second. You want to be a NHL player? Then get some skates, practice your ass-off, get very good and be able to hold up your end in a pro game. I'm sure @ that point no one's going to say "Nah, she's Black".
    Agreed, it's the only way.

Funny how when the subject is achievement skin color does not matter in our completely post-racial society. But when the subject is crime and poverty it's just a shame that those people can't get themselves together.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai_Hulud View Post
    Funny how when the subject is achievement skin color does not matter in our completely post-racial society. But when the subject is crime and poverty it's just a shame that those people can't get themselves together.
    And yet I know people, including myself, that did just that, with a variety of colors.

Until racial inequities are rectified, color blindness is not a virtue.
    You have it completely reversed. Until we have a color-blind society, racial inequities cannot be rectified.

You can never fix racial inequities by rejecting the ideal of a colorblind society.

You may seem like a "progressive" or "open-minded" but you're not. You cannot tell me black, Hispanic, and Native communities are not disproportionately negatively affected in many ways [[crime rate, poverty, drug use, incarceration, child mortality, housing, etc) in American society.
    Of course they are. That has nothing to do with whether or not we should strive towards a colorblind society. And you're conflating differing outcomes with differing treatment.

Therefore, color blindness is not a virtue. Period.
    It's only not a virtue if you're racist. Otherwise, yeah, striving towards a post-racial society is certainly a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    You have it completely reversed. Until we have a color-blind society, racial inequities cannot be rectified.

You can never fix racial inequities by rejecting the ideal of a colorblind society.

Of course they are. That has nothing to do with whether or not we should strive towards a colorblind society. And you're conflating differing outcomes with differing treatment.

It's only not a virtue if you're racist. Otherwise, yeah, striving towards a post-racial society is certainly a virtue.
    So until we don't see color is how we're going to fix the problems ravaging minority communities?

I'm not saying a post-racial society isn't a virtue, indeed it is, but combating racial inequities with colorblindness is not the correct way to do it when one must look at race to fix the problem.

But obviously, you are also the expert on race relations in the US, so wtf am I talking about?

Kinda silly, Willie O'Ree broke the color barrier for the NHL[[& in the mid 1900's plenty of teams had black players)...in 1958 O'Ree's been an iconic player out here because of his stints with the L.A. Blades & esp. San Diego Gulls L.A. Kings have a huge African-American fanbase out here, [QUOTE=Hypestyles;508426]Givani Smith [[birthplace: Thornhill, Ontario) is the newest Detroit Red Wing.
    Kudos and hopefully he'll have a long career, preferably locally.

I hope that the local black press isn't asleep at the wheel. I've been trying to contact an assortment of folks. This should get as much publicity as possible.

Color doesn't matter, never did in my mind. Bring us another cu!!

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nh...sion/91092346/

The Free Press had an update on Givani Smith a few weeks ago. So far, so good.

The lack of black players in the NHL is proof that there remains implicit bias against minorities. There is a disproportionate number of white players in the league.

I suggest we also commission a study to see if black players are more likely to be labelled as thugs. It would be further proof of implicit bias at work.

We clearly need to fund black youth hockey leagues, with black referees. A new law would be good. Maybe start an organization like BHM modelled on BLM.

Prior to 1900 most African Americans lived in the South and air conditioning and refrigeration were not what they are today. Ice hockey didn't take place down
    South but was a community spirit during the long Canadian winters.

These are cultural components separate from racism and classism which
    do exist basically everywhere for that matter - Mr. Smith might encounter
    some during his NHL career, but most fans will be pleased if he helps the
    Red Wings win games, want to trade him if his errors lose games, same
    as with any other Red Wing player.

African Americans in Detroit are avid sports fans but since Mr. Smith is not
    a Detroiter I kind of don't expect a great initial surge of interest on their
    part - might be different if he is a stellar player on the order of Gretzky or
    Howe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    Prior to 1900 most African Americans lived in the South and air conditioning and refrigeration were not what they are today. Ice hockey didn't take place down
    South but was a community spirit during the long Canadian winters.

These are cultural components separate from racism and classism which
    do exist basically everywhere for that matter - Mr. Smith might encounter
    some during his NHL career, but most fans will be pleased if he helps the
    Red Wings win games, want to trade him if his errors lose games, same
    as with any other Red Wing player.

African Americans in Detroit are avid sports fans but since Mr. Smith is not
    a Detroiter I kind of don't expect a great initial surge of interest on their
    part - might be different if he is a stellar player on the order of Gretzky or
    Howe.
    [[Leaving aside my implicit bias...)

Culture is certainly a major factor in black participation, but so is the cost of participation. Unless you live somewhere cold enough for frozen ponds for more than a few days a year, you play hockey in leagues, in a artificial and expensive rink, with expensive gear. Basketball can be played alone. Football and baseball can be played with only two. Soccer requires a few more. Hockey requires a few more... plus ice... plus gear.

As to interest, I really do think that black players from any country in the NHL will help this great sport make inroads.

OK, that's enough race talk for now. Let's leave that to BLM, and get ready to tune in the Wings on the Great Voice of the Great Lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    The lack of black players in the NHL is proof that there remains implicit bias against minorities. There is a disproportionate number of white players in the league.

I suggest we also commission a study to see if black players are more likely to be labelled as thugs. It would be further proof of implicit bias at work.

We clearly need to fund black youth hockey leagues, with black referees. A new law would be good. Maybe start an organization like BHM modelled on BLM.
    Man, stop it...

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nh...sion/91092346/

The Free Press had an update on Givani Smith a few weeks ago. So far, so good.
    Hopefully Givani can continue to make the cut and have a role on the team here.

The NHL broke the color barrier years ago when Snopp Dogg started wearing NHL team jerseys. Many in the hip hop community followed.

Agreed, it's the only way.

It's the only way, but hostilities run so deep with some people to the point, it's never going to be rectified. At least in my lifetime.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2