Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Red Wings draft new black player!

Givani Smith [[birthplace: Thornhill, Ontario) is the newest Detroit Red Wing.
    Kudos and hopefully he'll have a long career, preferably locally.

Hopefully he will turn out to be a results-producing prospect and get groomed into a featured player on the team.

I hope that the local black press isn't asleep at the wheel. I've been trying to contact an assortment of folks. This should get as much publicity as possible.

Detroit — It was a late-season game in Flint, between two bad teams, but Kris Draper decided to make the drive.
    Draper, who does a lot of amateur scouting these days for the Red Wings, drove to take one last look at Givani Smith, a prospect playing for Guelph.
    What Draper saw that night convinced him Smith was the type of player the Red Wings needed to draft.
    “Somebody was taking liberties with his teammate, and this was a 20-year-old [[on Flint), which considering Givani was two- or three-years younger, that’s a major difference,” Draper said. “But Givani went in there and defended his teammate. He stood up for him.
    “Late in the season like that, Givani could have just skated away. What he did, I liked seeing that.”
    It’s a long way off, and there’s no guarantee. But Red Wings fans might have a future fan favorite, a cult hero they’ll love — and opponents’ fans can’t stand.
    Smith, the organization’s second-round pick Saturday at the Entry Draft, plays the type of physical and agitating style that is sure to entertain Red Wings fans, but opponents will hate.
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...tial/86414704/
    his college/pro history thus far-- http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=252472
    Last edited by Hypestyles; June-27-16 at 09:17 AM.

I'm sure you mean well but why post that he's black? I would hope we're well past that point in hockey and every sport.
    Last edited by 401don; June-27-16 at 09:24 AM.

YAY! That will break the color barrier!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I'm sure you mean well but why post that he's black? I would hope we're well past that point in hockey and every sport.
    Well yes and no and I hear you on the why-mention-it. The perception of hockey is that it is the least Afro-American participative of the major league sports. This stands out a bit more in a majority Afro-American city like Detroit and that is why this becomes news. The really big story would be if he was American from Detroit.

I recall there have been Afro-Canadian Red Wings but only minor players for short times.

Along those lines there have been rumors of the Wings getting Montreal's great Afro-Canadian PK Subban, IMO just the man we need for our lame defense.

Given the A) Red Wings [[hockey in general) have historically had a threadbare African American following, B) the vocal angst about the mostly - publicly funded arena and whether there’s anything in it for “average locals” to pay attention to when LCA gets up and running, and C) the narrative about downtown’s “comeback” that seemingly marginalizes black participation, then this is positive news.

Whether this young man ends up being a “star” or not, it’s newsworthy.

Detroit's urban kids are still going to primarily have their basketball and football heroes [[notice I didn't mention baseball, which is another thread) , but here's a chance to turn some heads and say "hey, that's cool..."
    Last edited by Hypestyles; June-27-16 at 10:37 AM.

It's only newsworthy when you focus on the color of someone's skin and not the content of their character. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    It's only newsworthy when you focus on the color of someone's skin and not the content of their character. You should be ashamed of yourself.
    Mr. Smith isn't running for public office; and I'm afraid I don't relate to the fake 'colorblind' ethos that some folks think is progressive.

If there were a drastic lack of Italian-ethnics in pro hockey, I have no doubt that folks of said backgrounds interest would be piqued at a development like this.

I also don't understand the relevance of the player's race. There are plenty of black or nonwhite players in the NHL these days, including some prominent stars.

Also, the drafted player isn't African American, so it isn't like there's some "local" angle. It's a Canadian athlete who happens to be black, in what is a marginal sport in the U.S.

The local angle is that most black casual sports fans in Metro Detroit don’t give a 'puck' about hockey. With Mr. Smith, there’s a marketing angle that can be tapped into, especially with respect to encouraging younger generations to catch on. Posters, jerseys and other merchandise can be promoted. More urban schools and social organizations may be encouraged to have "hockey game night" outings. Spending money in and around the arena. "Capitalism" and all that good stuff.
    Last edited by Hypestyles; June-27-16 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    The local angle is that most black casual sports fans in Metro Detroit don’t give a 'puck' about hockey. With Mr. Smith, there’s a marketing angle that can be tapped into, especially with respect to encouraging younger generations to catch on. Posters, jerseys and other merchandise can be promoted. More urban schools and social organizations may be encouraged to have "hockey game night" outings. Spending money in and around the arena. "Capitalism" and all that good stuff.
    I guess, but, again, there are already black NHL stars, and I doubt the cities they play in have big black audiences. Ray Emery, Kyle Okposo, Johnny Oduya, Evander Kane, Wayne Simmons, etc. Plus it would be a pretty cynical gambit to prop up a Canadian person of black descent and try and market him as some African American soul brother.

Not liking his latest plus-minus average. First impression is of a Howie Young character. Hope not. We could use some size and muscle not not a meathead who costs the team goals and wins.

It's a real stretch to think promoting a black hockey player in the Detroit market would make the average guy from the neighborhood, who can't catch a bus on his street, feel better about subsidizing the new arena. After all, did the African Americans on the Tigers give the locals a more positive opinion about subsidizing Comerica Park than the new arena? How many African Americans are even attending baseball games in the city relative to football and basketball?

If you think an African American on the Wings would help grassroots hockey interest in the city, just as having more American NHL franchises has encouraged more youth participation in general, that's great. However the cost of playing hockey, let alone the facilities, is prohibitive.
    Last edited by 401don; June-27-16 at 01:37 PM.

If he makes the team this year it will be a story. If they sign P.K. Suban, it will be a story.

This won't be a story unless he makes the Wings roster.

Someone should really do something about the lack of Italian Americans in the NHL. Ever since Al Iafrate retired, the league just isn't the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I also don't understand the relevance of the player's race. There are plenty of black or nonwhite players in the NHL these days, including some prominent stars.

Also, the drafted player isn't African American, so it isn't like there's some "local" angle. It's a Canadian athlete who happens to be black, in what is a marginal sport in the U.S.
    That's precisely why it's a big story. I see these other black players on other teams and I say to myself, "If they were good enough to make these other teams, then why aren't they on the Red Wings?" I don't follow sports like some sports fanatics but I listen to 97.1 a lot. However, every time hockey is discussed, the Red Wings seem to go after Russian and European players. I think to myself, "What, no good African American or Afro-Canadian hockey players out there?" And then when I drive downtown all I see are white people in Red Wings jerseys. As an African American who lives in Detroit and follows all four sports teams, it would be nice to see somebody of color on the Red Wings for a change. Hey, my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    That's precisely why it's a big story. I see these other black players on other teams and I say to myself, "If they were good enough to make these other teams, then why aren't they on the Red Wings?" I don't follow sports like some sports fanatics but I listen to 97.1 a lot. However, every time hockey is discussed, the Red Wings seem to go after Russian and European players. I think to myself, "What, no good African American or Afro-Canadian hockey players out there?" And then when I drive downtown all I see are white people in Red Wings jerseys. As an African American who lives in Detroit and follows all four sports teams, it would be nice to see somebody of color on the Red Wings for a change. Hey, my two cents.
    As well, sport stars usually do great charitable works in the city they play for. It would be great to see a black player invest his time in inner city youth hockey leagues to show young black hockey players they too can make it to the big leagues.

I'm sure those kids know of PK Subban but they are probably gonna be much more motivated when an actual Red Wing is they same color they are and not playing for some team that comes around once or twice a year.

That's all fine and good, drafting a AA player, as more are venturing into the sport. But it's not going to move the needle in comparison to the NFL, MLB, and NBA which are still more popular in fan and player participation. I saw that the NHL is even putting a team in Las Vegas, we'll see how long that lasts.

Just as an aside, in Canada we refer to black people as African American. So a guy would be an African American Canadian as opposed to African Canadian. The American part is referring to the North American continent I suppose.

"What, no good African American or Afro-Canadian hockey players out there?" And then when I drive downtown all I see are white people in Red Wings jerseys. As an African American who lives in Detroit and follows all four sports teams, it would be nice to see somebody of color on the Red Wings for a change. Hey, my two cents.
    I understand that opinion. The only issue with this line of thinking, IMHO, is you could say the exact same thing about Latinos, or Chinese, or Japanese, or Native Americans, or any other group under-represented in professional hockey. It just so happens that in Canada, and certain European countries, hockey is *massively* popular, and a lot of good players come out of those areas.

Different people like different things. Ditto with groups of people, drawn across arbitrary criteria - race, religion, etc... And that's OK. Not everyone has to like everything.

A funny true story to lighten the discussion...

The Red Wings had scored on a penalty shot, rarely called. Everyone ran for the men's room, which is typical after a goal is scored. The men's room was buzzing talking about the goal on the penalty shot. An African American man said in a loud [[stage) voice, "I don't see why it's such a big deal. All he did was sink a free throw."

The entire men's room cracked up.

"Just as an aside, in Canada we refer to black people as African American. So a guy would be an African American Canadian as opposed to African Canadian. The American part is referring to the North American continent I suppose."

And this is an example of why the concept of "race" is stupid.

Note - not calling the poster stupid.

Created by anthropologists in the early days as a way to justify the "white mans superiority" on the food chain, the concept of "race" was flawed from the very beginning.

We're all human – homo sapien sapien. Just because one has geographic variation, doesn't mean they are any less, or more, of a homo sapien sapien.

I frankly don't care if this guy is black or not. Can they hang and play? That's the only thing that should be considered, period.

I could see this being a story if he makes the Red Wings roster. I think that given Detroit's history and demographics it would be relevant especially if he wants to do some community outreach [[let's be honest, how many people in the city go to Wings games or even care about them?) but as a draft pick in 2016 it doesn't seem like a big deal.

the NHL is trying to be inclusive of everyone. The NHL has their HIFE [[Hockey is for everyone) program. It's been operating for over 20 years.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2016/06/28/nhl...youth-programs

And Zetterberg is raising funds for Clark Park rinks
    http://detroithockeynews.blogspot.com/

Dave Mathews and Charlize Theron are great African Americans.

[[Just trying to make Baselinepunk's point)

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Just as an aside, in Canada we refer to black people as African American. So a guy would be an African American Canadian as opposed to African Canadian. The American part is referring to the North American continent I suppose.
    Certainly not the case where my family lived in Essex and Kent Counties. Some of my family lived in places with significant black populations and they were referred to as black Canadians or Afro-Canadian. But perhaps this has changed recently, with the growth in the term African-American in the U.S.?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast