Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default The House in the Ditch on Outer Drive [[1970s)

Back in the 1970s my Grandparents often took me across town to visit my Great Grandparents. The route included Outer Drive, and they always pointed out a house nicknamed "The House In The Ditch". It seemed to have been built about 15 feet below ground level. Does anyone on this forum recall such a home, and does it still exist? Thank you.

I not sure about a house in the ditch. But I do know that was a house in Greydale St. Near Outer Drive and Schoolcraft FWY. That street has been closed for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    I not sure about a house in the ditch. But I do know that was a house in Greydale St. Near Outer Drive and Schoolcraft FWY. That street has been closed for years.
    Thanks for the information! I will definitely look into this. You won't believe this but my Grandfather's name was Danny. He died in 1983.

South of Fenkell where Outer Drive makes a right angle turn to take up the line of Lahser Road, there is at least one house on the west side of the street that is built into a hill. The basement had a walk out door to the street level. The house front door was a flight up at the level of the hill. The basement used to be an office when I was a little girl. It had a red lightup neon sign that said "Notary Public." I think that house is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
    Thanks for the information! I will definitely look into this. You won't believe this but my Grandfather's name was Danny. He died in 1983.
    I have look at google maps and there was a house in the ditch. A small ranch home on Graydale St. It was demolished back in late 1980s. Now its a wooded area.

I didn't find anything where you described that looks like a house in a ditch, but I did find this cool monument. Do you have any idea what it is?
    Name:  monument.JPG
Views: 476
Size:  53.8 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    South of Fenkell where Outer Drive makes a right angle turn to take up the line of Lahser Road, there is at least one house on the west side of the street that is built into a hill. The basement had a walk out door to the street level. The house front door was a flight up at the level of the hill. The basement used to be an office when I was a little girl. It had a red lightup neon sign that said "Notary Public." I think that house is still there.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    I didn't find anything where you described that looks like a house in a ditch, but I did find this cool monument. Do you have any idea what it is?
    Name:  monument.JPG
Views: 476
Size:  53.8 KB
    I believe that's the Brightmoor Veteran's Memorial.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I believe that's the Brightmoor Veteran's Memorial.
    Could use a little sprucing up. Like lots of stuff in Brightmore.