Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default What's happening with GAR building downtown?

Can anyone give me an update on what's happening/happened with the GAR [[Grand Army of the Republic) building on Grand River Avenue downtown at the intersection of Cass and W. Adams Avenue?

I think there's a bar or restaraunt at street level these days. Not sure what's on the upper levels.

I used to check their website from time to time, but it looks like they haven't updated it in a while: https://gardetroit.org/

I went there for the first time and ate at the Republic a few weeks ago. It was very nice. Our waitress said Mindfield has the top floor, the second floor will become event space and from what she told me, the 3rd floor will house the "museum" that they wanted to do to honor the building's history. Not sure how much she's in the know, but it all sounded nice. I had asked her when the DTE park was going to be started but she was unsure. I finally got my answer today in the Freep.