Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New Student Housing At UDM

Saw a post on a sports forum that UDM is going to build new student housing. 270 units to be located south of their campus.

Don't know if there is a print story. The story originated on WDET radio.

it's way past time to expand the borders of the campus. New residences, new teaching buildings, a new concert hall.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Saw a post on a sports forum that UDM is going to build new student housing. 270 units to be located south of their campus.

Don't know if there is a print story. The story originated on WDET radio.
    Hmmm. I can't find anything to corroborate this, and the University has not officially made any announcement - and ordinarily any University would be excited to announce such a thing. I do know the footprint of the campus expanded somewhat a few years ago with the purchase of the old Brent Hospital site, and that would be toward the extreme south end of the campus, but I'm not aware of any specific development planned for that piece of property.

Anybody else able to find anything?

I don't think that anyone ever posted about Mayor Duggan's "20 Minute neighborhood" plan as outlined at the Mackinac policy conference. I watched this entire 47 minute clip a few weeks ago, and it was quite interesting. I recall hearing something about student housing, so I reviewed it today.

The Mayor goes into detail about plans for the area between Marygrove and UDM, including restored housing and a greenway among other things. At about the 19 minute mark, he mentions that a plan for student housing south of UDM is being worked on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2hJ_IQ_rFc

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...r_20_minu.html

This "20 Minute Neighborhood" plan is also in the works for West Village and SW around Clark Park. Plans for WV always interest me, being a former resident. At the 20:18 mark, the screen shows what appears to be new townhouses at Van Dyke and Coe, I believe. That would be great!
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; June-25-16 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Hmmm. I can't find anything to corroborate this, and the University has not officially made any announcement - and ordinarily any University would be excited to announce such a thing. I do know the footprint of the campus expanded somewhat a few years ago with the purchase of the old Brent Hospital site, and that would be toward the extreme south end of the campus, but I'm not aware of any specific development planned for that piece of property.

Anybody else able to find anything?
    Here is the post from which I created my post to start this thread. Maybe I should have simply posted it and let it speak for itself... That is all I know...

http://detroittitanhoops.com/phpBB3/...aa1d46fdc2b0f6

Good luck to them. And the developer hoping to attract UDM students on a proposed development at 7 mile.

From my experience/overheard conversations some of the students are elitist, racist and not the most embracing of the city.

Udm has quietly acquired all the parcels between Shiple hall and Puritan ave over time...there's been talk about housing there since I was a student over a decade ago. It will only work if they extend the fence which no one wants, but frankly everything south of udm is sketchy AF.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Good luck to them. And the developer hoping to attract UDM students on a proposed development at 7 mile.

From my experience/overheard conversations some of the students are elitist, racist and not the most embracing of the city.
    I'm a UDM grad.... and if you had to drive thru the crappy areas of Detroit not far from their campus... you wouldn't be the most embracing of the city either!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I don't think that anyone ever posted about Mayor Duggan's "20 Minute neighborhood" plan as outlined at the Mackinac policy conference. I watched this entire 47 minute clip a few weeks ago, and it was quite interesting. I recall hearing something about student housing, so I reviewed it today.

The Mayor goes into detail about plans for the area between Marygrove and UDM, including restored housing and a greenway among other things. At about the 19 minute mark, he mentions that a plan for student housing south of UDM is being worked on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2hJ_IQ_rFc

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/...r_20_minu.html

This "20 Minute Neighborhood" plan is also in the works for West Village and SW around Clark Park. Plans for WV always interest me, being a former resident. At the 20:18 mark, the screen shows what appears to be new townhouses at Van Dyke and Coe, I believe. That would be great!
    I enjoyed that part of the mayor's talk when I saw it - excellent awareness of what they need to be doing to build attractive places to live in the city. Love living in my own "20 minute neighborhood" though never thought of it that way until seeing this. These plans for the three neighborhoods mentioned might be worth a separate thread.
    Last edited by Junjie; June-25-16 at 04:54 PM.

I was thinking that it was worth a separate thread as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I'm a UDM grad.... and if you had to drive thru the crappy areas of Detroit not far from their campus... you wouldn't be the most embracing of the city either!
    thanks for throwing entire neighborhoods under a bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post

Well, to be fair, the neighborhoods are what they are, and aren't made any worse by somebody calling them out. The neighborhoods to the north and west of campus are pretty nice, as Detroit neighborhoods go, but the commercial development pretty nearly completely ignores the University; there aren't student-focused businesses at all, which is very unusual for a decent-size college campus in the middle of a city. The neighborhoods to the south and southeast of campus are not particularly nice at all, again compared to the city as a whole, and once you go slightly further east into Highland Park, it is shocking, even for a Detroiter.

The neighborhood to the southwest of campus I just am not very familiar with, so I don't have any kind of opinion about it. The other neighborhoods, the ones I mentioned in the earlier paragraph, I have spent considerable time in, and have gotten to know some of the people, community organizations and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Well, to be fair, the neighborhoods are what they are, and aren't made any worse by somebody calling them out. The neighborhoods to the north and west of campus are pretty nice, as Detroit neighborhoods go, but the commercial development pretty nearly completely ignores the University; there aren't student-focused businesses at all, which is very unusual for a decent-size college campus in the middle of a city. The neighborhoods to the south and southeast of campus are not particularly nice at all, again compared to the city as a whole, and once you go slightly further east into Highland Park, it is shocking, even for a Detroiter.

The neighborhood to the southwest of campus I just am not very familiar with, so I don't have any kind of opinion about it. The other neighborhoods, the ones I mentioned in the earlier paragraph, I have spent considerable time in, and have gotten to know some of the people, community organizations and so on.
    so who needs to be called out regarding business development? Marygrove is down the street on McNichols and it's pretty much the same semi-abandonment. It's still bus-throwing. Meh.

Another + post from the UDM basketball forum:

"
    This is a VERY good thing for campus and the area.

Apparently, the development should appeal to families, particularly with the influx of international students we have seen into some of our programs [[from China, etc). The development is also privately funded. However it will be intergrated with campus and the gates of campus will envelop this new project. And, it takes away so much of the blight that falls at that southern end of campus.

This is exciting and positive. I'm very pleased with this news."

so who needs to be called out regarding business development? Marygrove is down the street on McNichols and it's pretty much the same semi-abandonment. It's still bus-throwing. Meh.
    This has nothing to do with you or the neighborhoods... but Brizee's ignorant comment about UDM students.

Anybody that went to UDM from the east [[like I did)... had to have "overlooked" some parts of the city to get there. And yes... Marygrove is a fenced in oasis surrounded by an area that is not...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; June-27-16 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    This has nothing to do with you or the neighborhoods... but Brizee's ignorant comment about UDM students.

Anybody that went to UDM from the east [[like I did)... had to have "overlooked" some parts of the city to get there. And yes... Marygrove is a fenced in oasis surrounded by an area that is not...
    I always loved Mary Grove Dr directly south of Marygrove campus. great tree canopy and homes. very quiet and leafy place to be!

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4139...7i13312!8i6656

I'm not the students who make jokes about cries of rape victims in Detroit going unheard.

Or talk about how it needs to be fenced off and a Nuke dropped on it.

Or the entire city needs to be burned down and turned into a Walmart.

Or no Public School student could into UDM and had to the shit checked out of her.

Or any number of events I've ran into on that campus.

Not all or most but enough of the UDM student population embodies every nasty suburban borThere's nothing cute about that bullshit.n on third thinks they hit a triple stereotype. There's nothing cute about it.

I guarantee I was walking that campus a lot more recently than you.

You can stuff the ignorant label right back up your ass.

From my experience/overheard conversations some Detroit residents are elitist [[or at the complete opposite end of the spectrum, which is just as bad), racist, and not the most embracing of the city too.

So what's your point?

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 874
Size:  36.3 KB

here's the image that was in duggan's presentation

I'm not the students who make jokes about cries of rape victims in Detroit going unheard.

Or talk about how it needs to be fenced off and a Nuke dropped on it.

Or the entire city needs to be burned down and turned into a Walmart.

Or no Public School student could into UDM and had to the shit checked out of her.

Or any number of events I've ran into on that campus.

Not all or most but enough of the UDM student population embodies every nasty suburban borThere's nothing cute about that bullshit.n on third thinks they hit a triple stereotype. There's nothing cute about it.

I guarantee I was walking that campus a lot more recently than you.

You can stuff the ignorant label right back up your ass.
    I guess just walking thru campus makes you an expert?

Perhaps if you included making complete sentences including the use of verbs would help your argument.

UDM has students from around the world... of all races and ethnic backgrounds, many of which have to be from well to do families. So there are elitists among them that are appalled at the areas near the campus. I'm sure that the students at UDM are no different than those at U of M. But it's hard to debate anyone who uses random incomplete comments.
    Last edited by Gistok; July-01-16 at 04:14 AM.

I agree with you there.

Yeah, none of the neighborhoods are "super" in comparison to most affluent cities, but as one who goes out of his way to attend a Mass at Gesu, I find pockets and strips that have held their own quite well. Better houses and portions than where I grew up, I can tell you. You got Marygrove just west and Palmer Woods just north. You can do far far worse in Detroit.

Adjacent neighborhoods of Palmer woods, university district, Sherwood Forest coupled with ave of fashion, Palmer park and to a lesser extent bagley, outer driver and Fitzgerald make a very stable and rising NW hood. Palmer park is full of rehabbed apts and rising retail along mcnichols at Woodward and Gateway Place helps too not to mention a future transit connection. Marygrove and UDM have a sizable student populations to augment any livernois retail zones + stable households adjacent. It's clear developers are taking notice. Those students pay $15-20k/semester for tuition...think of the untapped market. There's tons of money that leaves the city everyday for lunch, retail, and nightlife that should be captured locally...it's finally happening, but transit connections are vital. The city is right to double down here. You've got all the critical mass to make this side of town thrive and it can be a true integrated hood unlike midtown and the cbd.
    Last edited by hybridy; July-05-16 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    it's finally happening, but transit connections are vital. The city is right to double down here. You've got all the critical mass to make this side of town thrive and it can be a true integrated hood unlike midtown and the cbd.
    Just so. The students, after paying all that tuition, often are not left with enough money to own and operate an automobile, and many do not. The transit around the University only works if you are trying to get downtown/midtown [[and that takes a long time) or to the southeast part of Southfield.

The most popular place for the kids - until and unless the neighborhood starts to provide businesses that students are interested in - is Ferndale, and it is simply not reasonable to get from UDM to Ferndale, just three and a half miles away, by public transportation.

The bus system in Detroit was designed, essentially, between 1880 and 1925 and has not really kept up with changes, except to erode as the city's population eroded. Nobody has taken a holistic look, in the past almost a century, at where people live, where they need to get to and when. The suburban system was never designed at all, but was the result of essentially a government takeover of the remnants of failed private businesses, eroded over the years for budgetary reasons and as a result of the idiotic "opt-out" allowed in two of the counties. As a Federal transit administrator said a few years ago, this is not the system you'd have designed if you were starting from scratch.

I spent a few weeks in Baltimore earlier this year. Johns Hopkins has a pretty intense private security force that patrols residential neighborhoods where their students live. They're sort of more like dormroom RAs -- they have some authority over the students, but none over everyone else; so they'll just observe and call the cops. Sort of like Daddy's private butler for the Johns Hopkins kids.

I wonder how the neighborhoods would change if the universities took their fences down. Ideally, they would go on to provide some restrained vigilance and a deliberate effort to be a positive part of the community they're located in.