Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I always love one of the first scenes of "Men in Black". Will Smith and his colleague are searching for "illegal aliens" on the US/Mexican border. You must have seen it, it's very cleverly done.....it really calls into question the validity of referring to other humans as "aliens" when simply they are in a place in the world fenced off and controlled by groups of people with more resources. Gloria Andalzua's book "Borderlands/La Frontera" gives an interesting potted history of the movements of different peoples in North America/Mexican areas....

The question is not so much why people accept such low wages - many of them feel they have little other options. The question is why people think it is OK to pay other people such low wages knowing they have such few options....

I have no sympathies with any colonial power, European or otherwise.... feeling a British European identity is not the same as agreeing with everything the EU does as a bureaucratic machine. Some have argued it would be easier to reform the machine from within than from outside. Others said leaving is part of the reform. So far the jury's out...as nothing major seems to have happened since the referendum anyway, apart from the value of the pound dropping.

Hopefully it's not the calm before the storm:-)

Seeing as you are a recent user with a probably more legitimate and engaging POV on the matter, you may notice what personaes feel threatened [[or agitated) enough to see their view on this matter challenged that they then feel they have to descend upon you and debate with you on this Ruth. If you are legitimate about who you say you are and where you are coming from, I feel your perspective is more justified. Watch how you handle your pearls or you will wear yourself out on he wrong interactions with those being bullheaded. You may also notice a far more variance in views from their's by the larger populace of DY users.

By the way, I do believe that any intolerance towards other folk's rights to speak a different language than the common land's tongue is indeed a form of racism. I will fiercely stand by that.

"The question is not so much why people accept such low wages - many of them feel they have little other options. The question is why people think it is OK to pay other people such low wages knowing they have such few options...."

This concept could revolutionize interviewing for jobs -

INTERVIEWER. So now you know what the job entails, how much per hour will you want?
    APPLICANT. [[with trepidation) Er, $10 an hour [[?).
    INTERVIEWER. Oh no, no, no, we're looking for people that want to do it for more than $15 an hour. We can get a Robot that would do it for more than $10.
    APPLICANT. [[With elation) OK I can accept $15 or more.
    INTERVIEWER. Right, we have other people to see that all have few options but to accept higher hourly rates and we're looking for the highest. We'll let you know!
    APPLICANT. When will I know?
    INTERVIEWER, NEXT!
    Last edited by coracle; July-11-16 at 08:36 AM.

"I have no sympathies with any colonial power, European or otherwise...."

Without the TEMPORY colonialism of the Far/Middle Easts and other areas, NONE of the immigrants would have an excuse to invade England AND STAY FOR EVER. It is England that has been colonized by people seeking Welfare checks, free housing and the like. You could classify them as the "otherwise" colonialists.
    Last edited by coracle; July-11-16 at 10:07 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3