Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Little Caesar's Pizza HQ Update

The pizza shaped windows are a little gimmicky, but the renderings show no collasal Pizza Pizza guys adorning the top of the building anymore [[thank god). The updated renderings look like a typical modern glass office building, but it's nice to see that infill on Woodward. Ground breaking to take place shortly.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...roit/86176394/

I wouldn't say its gimmicky because its really just a standard double facade. Its not that unique either, if you just google "triangle double facade" you'll find tons of other examples.

I did google 'triangle double facade' -- interesting to see. Most of those presented didn't change the shape of the facade. That's the important detail here. If they loose that idea along the way, it'll be much less interesting and just look like Troy.

When the original design was presented, I thought that the homage to the former movie palaces on either side of it was a nice touch, and the skyway over to the Fox Building respected the exuberance of the Fox Building facade.

This new image with the most interesting detail being windows shaped like pizza slices, and the typical carport roof as found in so many modern office buildings, and an absolutely bland skywalk.... does nothing to inspire its' prominent location. As with the arena... just another case of the Ilitch's promising something exciting and delivering less...

But this should excite the "anything is better than nothing" folks....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I thought the faux historic design above was a pretty hokey attempt at honoring the theaters around it, especially with the glowing pucks and Little Caesar statue. We need to preserve what we have in the city in terms of historic architecture, but we need to push the envelope with modern architecture as well. Continually replicating the past isn't what modern city's do and it isnt what gave Detroit the architecture we all appreciate today. Everyone celebrates our art deco structures but those were a departure at the time. Same can be said for our mid century buildings that are often celebrated.

As for the building I like the massing and the facade facing Woodward. I wish they didn't make such a big deal of the "pizza shaped" glass and let people discover that subtle nod on their own. Im not a huge fan of the top with the "car port" but overall it is a nice design and I am pleasantly surprised given the Disney-esque quality of their previous rendering.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    When the original design was presented, I thought that the homage to the former movie palaces on either side of it was a nice touch, and the skyway over to the Fox Building respected the exuberance of the Fox Building facade.

This new image with the most interesting detail being windows shaped like pizza slices, and the typical carport roof as found in so many modern office buildings, and an absolutely bland skywalk.... does nothing to inspire its' prominent location. As with the arena... just another case of the Ilitch's promising something exciting and delivering less...

But this should excite the "anything is better than nothing" folks....
    I don't have a dog in this fight, which along with Brush Park [[Gilbert), Hudson's site, etc. seems to be a fight between arch styles and their respective camps.

For better or worse, there will be a lot of mixing of arch with new construction mixing with buildings which are historic.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I thought the faux historic design above was a pretty hokey attempt at honoring the theaters around it, especially with the glowing pucks and Little Caesar statue. We need to preserve what we have in the city in terms of historic architecture, but we need to push the envelope with modern architecture as well. Continually replicating the past isn't what modern city's do and it isnt what gave Detroit the architecture we all appreciate today. Everyone celebrates our art deco structures but those were a departure at the time. Same can be said for our mid century buildings that are often celebrated.

As for the building I like the massing and the facade facing Woodward. I wish they didn't make such a big deal of the "pizza shaped" glass and let people discover that subtle nod on their own. Im not a huge fan of the top with the "car port" but overall it is a nice design and I am pleasantly surprised given the Disney-esque quality of their previous rendering.
    I totally agree, and replied over here.
    Last edited by bust; June-22-16 at 07:31 PM.

Finally, a real building is made out of pizza.

Talk about bait and switch. This is very disappointing.
    Last edited by Detroitdave; June-23-16 at 11:25 AM.