Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Study Shows Detroit As Most Dangerous City In Nation For Drivers

This is hardly a surprise given that many people in that city regard red lights and stop signs as merely suggestions and not mandatory.

You even see D-DOT buses frequently running red lights.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/per...ates/84936662/
    Last edited by SyGolden48236; June-18-16 at 05:22 PM.

Lovely. Another reason to stay indoors and drink there too......! 2AM driving really must be a hoot!!

And between the terrible drivers and the theft and vandalism, everyone whines about their car insurance being too high. Insurance companies need to take in more in premiums than they pay out in claims or they will go bankrupt.

Car Insurance is a necessary evil, however it's a major rip-off

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Car Insurance is a necessary evil, however it's a major rip-off
    Why is car insurance a ripoff?? Is it only because it is mandatory? Car insurance rate vary widely from place to place because the insurance analysts have become so efficient with slicing and dicing risk. As a group, property and casualty insurance companies are only valued by the market at 11 to 16 times earnings which doesn't show a lot of investor enthusiasm for the business. Apparently, their rip-offs aren't that profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Why is car insurance a ripoff?? Is it only because it is mandatory? Car insurance rate vary widely from place to place because the insurance analysts have become so efficient with slicing and dicing risk. As a group, property and casualty insurance companies are only valued by the market at 11 to 16 times earnings which doesn't show a lot of investor enthusiasm for the business. Apparently, their rip-offs aren't that profitable.
    So you think insurance companies aren't making money?
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-20-16 at 06:01 PM.

I've never lived anywhere other than the Detroit area, so my perspective is sort of limited on this subject. But I can definitely attest to the dangers of driving here.

I bought a car in 2009, first one I'd owned in 5 years [[though I still drove on occasion), and a week and a half after I was smashed into by a hit and run government vehicle on Vernor. Not long after a woman backing out of her space in front of a store turned right into me, as well as a man in the grocery store parking lot who smashed my rear panel. A year later I was rear ended by a guy near the Old Tigers Stadium who couldn't stop during a snowfall. Then in early 2013 some zanax enthusiast took out my whole rear end with a custo's rental, I was parked on a one way, running from the scene and leaving his ride sitting on its front axle in the middle of the street. In late 2014 I was rear ended after work by a drunk guy from Brighton who had just witnessed the Lions beating NY at Ford Field during Monday Night Football. It was like a parking lot on MI Ave but he had delayed proceeding through the light while carrying on with his buddy, noticing the green he floors it for about 75ft right into me, sandwiching me into the car in front of me and giving me nasty whiplash. I could no longer afford to fix this poor car.

Thank you God for steel auto-bodies.

Sidenote: Before any of this happened the cheapest quote I could get for 6 months of comp only in Detroit was $2000. No points, no prior claims, no nothin, safe car.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; June-22-16 at 07:22 PM.