Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    They'll both go back to long term unemployment.

just how long is "long term unemployment" ?

because that does not exist.

compn: Of course it exists. You can find discussions of the issue frequently on CNBC for example.

The govt agrees it exists. Millions of people have dropped out of the work force because of the inability to find work, for all of the reasons that they can't.

Surely you must be aware of the problem.

P.S. To answer your question, long term unemployment if defined by the BLS as being unemployed longer than 27 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    P.S. To answer your question, long term unemployment if defined by the BLS as being unemployed longer than 27 weeks.
    Nice of Snyder and his cronies to chop down UIA benefits from 26 to 20

Dumb question maybe.

But why get stuck on one form of metric or measurement?

Canada and the U.S. measure unemployment differently, and it results in a consistently higher number in Canada [[with no real difference in conditions).

So........what???????

The key, I would argue, is understanding comparability over time. As well as knowing than any one statistic or measurement is limited by nature.

As an alternative to the unemployment rate, why not consider the labour-force participation rate?

A straight factor of what % of working-age adults have jobs?

To be clear, a lower number isn't always bad; if increasing rates of post-secondary are at issue or families can afford extended parental leave .....awesome for them.

If there's a flaw here, its not one statistic, its the failure of the media to state the limitations of that one statistic and to look at differing measures that give a more nuanced perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Oddz313 View Post
    Nice of Snyder and his cronies to chop down UIA benefits from 26 to 20
    Don't forget taxing pensions. His first day in office, he was wielding the axe....

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Don't forget taxing pensions. His first day in office, he was wielding the axe....
    Well,... just on the top 6%.

He did start a tax on pensions,.. but it only begins if their income is over $200,000 a year. Even then it's a small percentage. What was it,.. 4% ?

So if you make 210,000 a year, and a good chunk of that is pension, then the tax would be what,... $400 a year ?

And why should any part of the income of the top 6% be tax free anyway? I find it hard to believe anyone from Detroit wouldn't be all in favor of what Snyder did.
    Last edited by Bigdd; June-23-16 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post

He did start a tax on pensions,.. but it only begins if their income is over $200,000 a year. Even then it's a small percentage. What was it,.. 4% ?

So if you make 210,000 a year, and a good chunk of that is pension, then the tax would be what,... $400 a year ?

And why should any part of the income of the top 6% be tax free anyway? I find it hard to believe anyone from Detroit wouldn't be all in favor of what Snyder did.
    He also cut property returns. It's not so much the tax as what he did w it. Which was corporate welfare and a rainy day fund that we now have to blow on his Flint moves

Quote Originally Posted by Oddz313 View Post
    He also cut property returns. It's not so much the tax as what he did w it. Which was corporate welfare and a rainy day fund that we now have to blow on his Flint moves

Not sure I'd call it corporate welfare.

Michigan had some of the most "Anti-Business" taxes anywhere. Which helped us loose a whole lotta jobs.

The commies thought it was a great idea to tax corporations out of existence,.. and use the money for give-away programs [[essentially buying themselves votes with other people's money). That works great for a while,.. but eventually those companies move out of state. Of course the people who voted for the commies don't blame their commie leaders,... rather they blame it on greedy corporations. The hard reality is,.. those corporations have competitors,.. and if they don't flee,.. they go out of business eventually.

One of the taxes was SBC,.. which essentially was a penalty for buying equipment. Any hard asset you bought to run your business [[computers, furniture, cash registers, stamping presses, store displays, air-compressors, etc,.. you had to pay tax on every year. Think of it as a sales tax,.. but you pay it every year, for ever.

That discouraged business from establishing anything real here.

They need to do more things like this. Example,.. charging sales tax on used cars. When the car was bought new,.. sales tax was charged on the entire car,.. AND on the companies' profit,.. and the dealer's profit,.. and on the salesman's commission. Then 10 years later I buy that same used car from you,.. and I need to pay sales tax on it again? Why? That's double dipping right?

They don't do that in many other states. Snyder did get a law passed to ease that a bit,.. but it's gradual,.. and only when you trade a car in at a dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdd View Post

He taxed everybody's pension, from the janitor that retired from the school board, to your aforementioned six figure income earners, and everyone in-between. That janitor will feel the effects of that $400 a lot more than the guy earning six figures. Don't get me wrong, I know taxes have to be paid, but I think we pay more than our share already, you work 30 years or more and still have to pay just as much or more when you stop? Don't even get me started on those that don't pay one red cent, and there are plenty of them....
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-27-16 at 12:03 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3