Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default International Bancard is moving its World Headquarters to Downtown Detroit

Neat video put out announcing them taking over a building on Woodward near GCP downtown and relocating downtown. More infill development jobs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAhPasmH244

And the jobs keep coming downtown. This is great news for Detroit. This will help fill the gaps between CMP and GCP.

this is a bedrock building...hence another dan gilbert move. good news none the less

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ers-to-detroit
    Last edited by hybridy; June-14-16 at 01:38 PM.

That's one of my least favorite building on lower Woodward... but that means absolutely nothing!

Very happy that they are coming to the "D". Also... per the video.... they might be able to shave 2 minutes off their 6 minute walk to Campus Martius... if they took the Woodward route....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    That's one of my least favorite building on lower Woodward... but that means absolutely nothing!

Very happy that they are coming to the "D". Also... per the video.... they might be able to shave 2 minutes off their 6 minute walk to Campus Martius... if they took the Woodward route....
    That's an Albert Kahn and don't forget it!

You'd think the person who did the picture would have updated the opposing building to reflect Kit + Ace, not the old Tall-Ez Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    That's an Albert Kahn and don't forget it!

You'd think the person who did the picture would have updated the opposing building to reflect Kit + Ace, not the old Tall-Ez Shoes
    LOL.... that must have been his "Stinkeroo"....

Laugh here too. I was going to comment how they got a nice one. I like its clean lines, proportions, and materials.

Detroit was on a construction binge right until the depression, with one developer after another attempting to outdo the others in height and extravagance. It may have epitomized the bubble that preceded the crash. It led to some extraordinary examples of gilded age architecture we're lucky to have, but that path was clearly unsustainable. Construction all but came to a halt.

I imagine 1505 Woodward as suggesting to have courage and optimism to continue to build, without compromising the essentials, only more sensibly and without the unnecessary bling. It continues the use of refined materials and classical forms, with high ceilings and ample spaces, less ostentatiously decorated -- and a nod toward modernism.

But I'm probably projecting.
    Last edited by bust; June-14-16 at 05:25 PM.

Anyone know how many employees they're bringing?

Hopefully there will be job openings alongside the folks who will be coming downtown.

Just 5 years ago that building used to be a slumlord mess with black mold and mushrooms growing all over the ceilings and walls. Dan Gilbert bought it, fix it and lure International Bancord to their new home in Gilberttown Detroit.

Thank you Dan Gilbert.

The building is hideous, but great news, nonetheless.

Payment processing in a Gilbert Building? Seems like his comments surrounding Yahoo with respect to a finance tech cluster in downtown Detroit are coming to be...

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Hopefully there will be job openings alongside the folks who will be coming downtown.
    There will be. Economic activity and employment drive more economic activity and employment. There may not 'job openings', but there will be 'job opportunities'.

Quote Originally Posted by bust View Post
    Laugh here too. I was going to comment how they got a nice one. I like its clean lines, proportions, and materials.

Detroit was on a construction binge right until the depression, with one developer after another attempting to outdo the others in height and extravagance. It may have epitomized the bubble that preceded the crash. It led to some extraordinary examples of gilded age architecture we're lucky to have, but that path was clearly unsustainable. Construction all but came to a halt.

I imagine 1505 Woodward as suggesting to have courage and optimism to continue to build, without compromising the essentials, only more sensibly and without the unnecessary bling. It continues the use of refined materials and classical forms, with high ceilings and ample spaces, less ostentatiously decorated -- and a nod toward modernism.

But I'm probably projecting.
    I for one totally agree. I think 1505 is an absolutely beautiful building. Some folks here seem to think that anything built after the mid 1920's is ugly; I really don't get that.

Quote Originally Posted by 1953 View Post
    The building is hideous, but great news, nonetheless.

A great Kahn building lovingly restored---far from hideous...classic deco influenced.