Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Still shows the 100 new condo units... God speed to this project. More NEW owner occupied residences in whatever style they want so they will be purchased is the important part. If someone loves "old brick homes" there are plenty to chose from at all price levels.

There really isn't many to choose from at all price levels.

If you look for a single family home in Detroit [[a city with 700K) people and aim for a budget of 200K - you might find 30 homes in the entire city for sale. There is nothing for sale except under 30K teardowns or 450K mega mansions. Contrast that with the number of for sale units in Sterling Heights or Macomb Twp at that price point. The city needs new build at the 150K-300K level throughout the entire city. And fast. The remaining inventory is just depressing.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post

If you look for a single family home in Detroit [[a city with 700K) people and aim for a budget of 200K - you might find 30 homes in the entire city for sale. There is nothing for sale except under 30K teardowns or 450K mega mansions. Contrast that with the number of for sale units in Sterling Heights or Macomb Twp at that price point. The city needs new build at the 150K-300K level throughout the entire city. And fast. The remaining inventory is just depressing.
    I would say that is a bit overstated. There are probably around 20 in just the University District. I think there is definitely more housing in that price range needed in greater Downtown and I think there is a possible need for more midrange apartments/condos in a lot of the city, but I'm less sure about houses.

Actually it's not overstated. 23 homes in the entire city. See link below.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...-150000-299000

That's the biggest impediment to getting more people into homes. Actual homes for them to move into that aren't junk or 100 year old homes.

We have as much inventory for sale as we would expect in a town like Luna Pier.

Both belleislerunner and mwilbert are correct. I used sarcasm in my earlier post but anything north of the state average home price in the city is a terrible inventory, houses and condos alike. As long as this state has a 2/3s off discount on property taxes for the new construction residential, the lions share will go to the farm fields and the sprawl will grow ever larger. Livingston County is licking its chops.

Your search does not reflect reality.... here's a street [[Lodewyck) near Balduck Park on the far east side... and most of these homes could be had for under 30K.... one would hardly call them tear downs.... ditto for nearby EEV, although more expensive...
    https://www.google.com/maps/@42.4188...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Quote Originally Posted by Jayp213 View Post
    i love the variety of architecture. every other big city has a mixture of bold architecture that STANDS OUT and is very unique. i've lived in Miami. I've lived in San Francisco. Visited New York MANY times. this is normal stuff to them. I'm not sure why the Michigan motive is to stay stuck in a time-warp or keep a mentality of opposing anything different than the "norm".... Its nice to have something different than just historic-looking all of the time.
    Very much agree that diversity and mix of old/new is best. Where I differ is that I don't think the current 'barcode' designs are that good. There aren't enough windows, frankly. I think the priority was the 'look' over livability. But of course its not my money.

That's the biggest impediment to getting more people into homes. Actual homes for them to move into that aren't junk or 100 year old homes.

You didn't say that there were only about thirty homes between 150K and 300K. You said there were only about thirty aiming for a budget of 200K. Those are not at all the same thing. I didn't make up the 20 houses in University District either, but the cheaper ones [[100K or so) will probably need some budget for updates, which isn't reflected on Realtor.com. There are no teardowns.

This is the sort of development that Detroit needs. A splash of modern architecture here and there will really add to the fabric of the city. It looks like it has been well thought out and that there will be quality materials. I hope it raises the bar for other developments, just like the Scott across the street is.

I am excited to see what Gilbert has in store for the Brewster site now that I have seen this. It looks like Brush Park is going to become a really nice dense and walkable neighborhood. I would love to see a park incorporated into future designs. It is Brush PARK after all.

I hate modernism, so this isn't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    It is Brush PARK after all.
    Brush Park historically never actually included a 'park' per se. It was simply the area where the old rich lived...

That doesn't mean it can't have one now as a gathering place.

If you do a search from 150-300K you get 74 homes back.

We are talking about single family homes - not every property. Please keep up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2