Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Stroh's to be Brewed in Detroit Again

Well, yes, sorta and not fire brewed.

Local craft beer brewer Brew Detroit in Corktown has obtained rights to the label and to make a Bohemian Style Pilsener. Isn't it great how everybody want the name Detroit on their products again?

By the way I drove past Brew Detroit last night and they had a large beer garden across the street with a big crowd. Looked like fun. Sorry I couldn't stop.

Full Story Here:

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...w-detroit-gets

I wonder how much they are going to produce.

Strohs is currently owned by Pabst which is currently located in LA. It is produced on contract by Miller in Milwaukee which is US HQ'd in Chicago but owned by SABMiller of London, England...

^^^ Oh my what a flow chart to get to the bottle you pour from!

Interesting, but I am waiting for the return of Sebewaing Beer, another Michigan product. Not because it tasted good, but fot the cool label.

I'll preface this by saying the single most satisfying beer I ever had was an ice cold Stroh's Signature on a hot day, after water skiing for the first time. But...

I think it would be awesome if they actually made the new incarnation of Stroh's as a big-flavored, true bohemian style pilsner.

Boy, if they could do the old school fifties label, long neck, church key cap, and heavy cardboard flip top case - what a hit they would have.

Also, hell of a beer commercial they had on the roof of Shawshank Prison, bar none.
    Last edited by Bigb23; June-12-16 at 08:46 AM.

Pabst seems to be trying to revive the brands they purchased from G. Heilman way back when. They're doing the same thing with Rainier Beer, which used to be a Washington [[stte) favorite for years.

http://rainierbeer.com/pale-mountain-ale/

Okay, this is promising - Daily Detroit had the full label, which says:

Our Master Brewer has crafted an exceptional European-style pilsner brewed in the heart of Detroit, using Saaz and Magnum hops with Vienna malt. The result is a crisp, balanced pilsner, with a floral aroma, subtle hop spice, and a rich, bready maltiness.

Name:  strohs-labels-detroit-640x336.jpg
Views: 1173
Size:  64.5 KB
    Last edited by archfan; June-13-16 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Image too big

Did they have that Government warning back in the fifties?

That still would NOT have stopped my dad from pounding down a few.

I guess I didn't explain a "Church key" to you younger folk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fusj7QxEXTg

Too bad it's not a Vette.

Next YouTube - Fireballs -had that once and would not wish that on my doctor.

Any Bettie Page veiw will be a boner. sorry bonus.
    Last edited by Bigb23; June-13-16 at 11:07 AM.

Attachment 30717

Had to do that to post.
    Last edited by Bigb23; June-14-16 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Pabst seems to be trying to revive the brands they purchased from G. Heilman way back when. They're doing the same thing with Rainier Beer, which used to be a Washington [[stte) favorite for years.

they're also opening a microbrewery at their original Milwaukee location...

https://consumerist.com/2015/07/16/p...-microbrewery/

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post

I hope they're able to get back to at least a facsimile of the flavor of Stroh's as it once was.

In the late 70s, in addition to being a local favorite around here, Stroh's had a cult following because of its unique taste. When Heileman bought it, I suppose they figured they could increase sales by making it taste the same as Bud and Miller, but instead the opposite happened and the brand tanked. I bought one 6-pack after the sale to Heileman for exactly that reason - if I want something that tastes like Bud I'll just buy Bud.

Without the special open-flame copper kettles which gave it a roasted malt unique taste.....I'm good. When will be see the bock version?

Attachment 30726

From today's Seattle P-I, here's how Pabst is handling the new Rainier Beer.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/artic...on-8215221.php

When I saw this I thought it was going to be some pandering attempt by the poohbahs at whatever mega-corporation Pabst belongs to these days to leverage a little profit out of an unused trademark by exhuming a 'beloved local brand'. To which my response was going to be the same as it's been since 1985: f**k Stroh's.

But this sounds as if it might actually have some glimmer of possibility not to suck. Now, as Smirnoff says above, if only they could manage to bring that bock back.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Without the special open-flame copper kettles which gave it a roasted malt unique taste.....I'm good. When will be see the bock version?

Attachment 30726

I'm sure soon, "It'll be Bock...."

Quote Originally Posted by Don K View Post
    I hope they're able to get back to at least a facsimile of the flavor of Stroh's as it once was.

In the late 70s, in addition to being a local favorite around here, Stroh's had a cult following because of its unique taste. When Heileman bought it, I suppose they figured they could increase sales by making it taste the same as Bud and Miller, but instead the opposite happened and the brand tanked. I bought one 6-pack after the sale to Heileman for exactly that reason - if I want something that tastes like Bud I'll just buy Bud.
    But why would anyone want something that tastes like Bud?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    But why would anyone want something that tastes like Bud?
    Exactly my point.

As I understand it, it's an attempt by Pabst to create a more "craft" style beer [[or beers?) in a general brewing market that has been declining for a number of years, while the craft brewing industry, though small, has been increasing by leaps and bounds.

There is no earthly reason I'd drink the current "generic" Rainier Beer. It tastes no different than Schmidt, Olympia, or the many "cheap" beers on the market. Kudos to Pabst for trying something different with their in-house brands.

Totally agree Don. Went to Honest Johns to get one, took a sip, and proclaimed that ain't Stroh's....not even close. Signature was the only beer I'd drink with a meal. They always had Bock on tap @ The Saloon at 12 & Mound....the only reason I went. You could get mighty portly drinking that stuff on a regular basis.

So how big is this beer factory supposed to be?

Stroh's had a cult following because of its unique taste. When Heileman bought it, I suppose they figured they could increase sales by making it taste the same as Bud and Miller, but instead the opposite happened and the brand tanked. I bought one 6-pack after the sale to Heileman for exactly that reason - if I want something that tastes like Bud I'll just buy Bud.
    Stroh's acquired Heileman. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._Hei...rewing_Company