Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: The New Detroit

Default The New Detroit

I travel quite often and I'm often surprised by the "new" Detroit's reach and current influence .
    Detroits' new "swag" is far reaching and in some surprising places.
    A current examples are Shinola.
    I've found their stores are opening in high rent areas and making Detroit proud.
    I've found them in London and now here in LA of all places the Grove.
    the grove is the premiere shopping and tourist area here in LA.
    take a look for your self.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by Detroitdave; June-11-16 at 11:56 AM.

Nice to see!

Wow.... The Grove is high end shopping indeed in LA....

https://www.google.com/search?q=The+...w=1536&bih=729

And to think we had to endure all that whining about the clockworks being made in Switzerland.... I don't think most buyers care....
    Last edited by Gistok; June-11-16 at 06:13 PM.

To have this image of Detroit I think it's a good thing . It's a positive image of the city , which I think is a good thing

The whole idea of pulling off the illusion of luxury branding, with the ability to charge ridiculous prices for ordinary products, simply amazes me. That said I'm happy Shinola has pulled it off and it bringing jobs and recognition to Detroit. They clearly know shit from Shinola.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    The whole idea of pulling off the illusion of luxury branding, with the ability to charge ridiculous prices for ordinary products, simply amazes me. That said I'm happy Shinola has pulled it off and it bringing jobs and recognition to Detroit. They clearly know shit from Shinola.
    Particularly with regard to jobs & economic impact, there is also a huge gulf between these onesy-twosey small niche successes and something like the automotive industry---which, at one time, elevated Detroit to the status of design & manufacturing powerhouse of the nation.

That said, agree that any product considered trendy or quality-driven coming from the city is a plus--even if doesn't generate all that many jobs.

There are competitive/territorial jerks everywhere, but most people I encounter throughout the country view Detroit as a city down on its luck---and tend to root for its comeback. It seems to me many folks prefer to champion, rather than disparage, the underdog.
    Last edited by Onthe405; June-13-16 at 04:46 PM.

I needed a new watch and would have loved a Shinola, but they are just too rich for my blood. If Shinola could have offered a watch at a price point of $200 [[which is what I ended up spending on a Swiss made Tissot), I would have been all over it.

By the way , I don't own a Shinola . I have the cheap mans version... Fossil and I always get compliments on it

Am I the only one having a problem of getting Sh*t and Shinola out of my head for good?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    By the way , I don't own a Shinola . I have the cheap mans version... Fossil and I always get compliments on it
    I'm a cheap watch guy myself - but I'm still fascinated by Tourbillon movements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvx0jXbKkV0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlcizTLksdo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjFu...4#t=81.1130655

If I had an extra quarter million dollars. I'd own one of these. And still be terrified to drop it.

I guess that makes us horologists - wink wink.

Also a plus - your Browser is recording the links to quarter million dollar watches, kiss those Walmart popups goodbye!
    Last edited by Bigb23; June-14-16 at 05:27 PM.

Speaking of cheap watches, I did a search on a $7 smart watch, but ordered a $13 smart watch instead.

It uses a micro SD card, and a micro SIM card, so yes, it's a stand alone phone on your wrist with a touch screen and Bluetooth.

I now have the worlds accumulated knowledge on my wrist, and will still watch silly cat videos instead.

Attachment 30721
    Me on a good day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kgRFHaNo-Y
    Last edited by Bigb23; June-14-16 at 09:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigb23 View Post
    Am I the only one having a problem of getting Sh*t and Shinola out of my head for good?
    Nope-too ingrained as this inevitable video link will confirmhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTHL0y6xvLE.

By the way, I'm a cheap watch and sunglasses kind of bloke myself.
    All I want my watch to do is tell the time [[so I know when to keep track of my meals), have an alarm, and possibly a switch to activate the highly armored indelible quarantine shutters installed on my living space-in case I accidentally track in some of those telepathic brain parasites.

and possibly a switch to activate the highly armored indelible quarantine shutters installed on my living space-in case I accidentally track in some of those telepathic brain parasites.

You have those too ?

Who was your contractor ?

Shady slim ?
    Last edited by Bigb23; June-14-16 at 09:30 PM.

You have those too ?

Who was your contractor ?

Shady slim ?
    Well, I'm not at liberty to say, but if I did, it would be Rick Sanchez from Dimension C-137. He seemed to know a bit about handling telepathic brain parasites [[hint: sometimes our most genuine beloved in life have miserable moments attached to them.).
    Last edited by G-DDT; June-14-16 at 10:18 PM.

I always thought their slogan should be: Shinola - Know the difference

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Well, I'm not at liberty to say, but if I did, it would be Rick Sanchez from Dimension C-137. He seemed to know a bit about handling telepathic brain parasites [[hint: sometimes our most genuine beloved in life have miserable moments attached to them.).
    Dirty sanhez? that dirty sanchez?

Quote Originally Posted by Király View Post
    I needed a new watch and would have loved a Shinola, but they are just too rich for my blood. If Shinola could have offered a watch at a price point of $200 [[which is what I ended up spending on a Swiss made Tissot), I would have been all over it.
    I agree. I'd really like one, I do like the design. Kind of reminds me of the old school Omega's, crisp, clean, not over cluttered like some of the crap you see people wearing now. And although I'm willing to pay that $500-$1000 range for a nice watch, I still won't fork over $800 for a Shinola. There's so many comparable watches in design and quality for $150-$200, it just doesn't make sense to me. I'm glad to hear they are doing well though.