Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Along with texting and what all on the phones!

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    Alcohol, Autos and A-holes are a bad combination.

I think in part, people are signalling later because they are distracted by the all-mighty mobile phone as primary activity. Driving secondary, signally further down the chain or actions. Braking comes in there somewhere, well after sudden exhilaration!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Nowadays I signal even earlier because so many people are distracted by their phones while driving.

Small price to pay to avoid being rear-ended.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I think in part, people are signalling later because they are distracted by the all-mighty mobile phone as primary activity. Driving secondary, signally further down the chain or actions. Braking comes in there somewhere, well after sudden exhilaration!
    You mean to tell me people still signal?

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    I believe I got into quite a debate with a poster from GP about signaling, and he referred to it as if it were some mere and optional courtesy. Communication with other drivers [[barring jarring horns-believe it or not, New York used to fine for unnecessary horn usage-http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/29/ny...igns.html?_r=0) is essential; so signalling is not an option. Pardon this racist cliphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnzRej_lwXg.

I'm seeing more and more incidents of tailgating, failing to signal, front end protruding into an intersection, roaring up [[instead of reasonably hanging back) and cutting across three busy lanes to get onto a ramp, and more and more cars without lights on at dusk and evening [[I flash and flash, and no one gets it, especially if they are in an SUV, or moreso, on their phone). Also, more suburban kids are dumping their fast food bags right at the corners.

Detroiters may drive junkier cars, but man, you can see the difference in better courtesy than the suburbs.
    The biggest annoyance in the city is the disproportionate amount of people driving "under the influence" and as if they have nowhere to go.

But otherwise, I agree. I've always worked in the suburbs though [[all 3 counties), so I have adapted to suburbanites and their comparatively wreckless driving.

Yeah, you're right actually! What was I thinking? I'm projecting signals in my mind where there are none. Hah!

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    You mean to tell me people still signal?

Also, it saddens me that other cities have longer crossing times for pedestrians than here in Michigan. Even car heavy places like Louisville [[they love Mustangs and Cadillacs there) give folks a fair chance to cross.
    I saw this on the Internut, so it must be true !

At a long light at a crosswalk, you can change the light sequence to cross most traffic lights with this - press the cross button thus -

3 short clicks
    2 long clicks
    1 short click
    2 long clicks
    3 short clicks

Of course, maybe it would of changed anyway by the time you finish, but if it works for anybody, post it here. With a 7-10 minute crossing wait, it might be worth a try !

Down with traffic light bullies, up with pedestrians.

"Detroiters may drive junkier cars, but man, you can see the difference in better courtesy than the suburbs."

I have no idea where you get that from. I drive these freeways everyday and in Detroit, it's the absolute worst. I regularly average 2 times per week that I almost get hit when driving through the city. Too many people drive like their dirty, and like someone said above, acting like they have no where to go - just tooling around.

I've got probably a million miles under my ass from driving these street during my life, and I talk to some old folks where I work about this, too. We all have the same conclusion - the traffic and driving capabilities are the worst it's even been. Too many old folks out there that have NO business being behind the wheel. When granny refuses to get over to the slower lane because she's driving 20mph in the fast lane is impeding traffic. Cops need to start cleaning up the roads by getting these boomers off the road - it's a danger to too many people out there.

MI's traffic laws are terrible. I followed a MI State Police car with 2 officers in it for about 15 miles on NB I-75 in Oakland County this afternoon. Traffic was moving at about 75 mph or more and nobody was paying much attention to the police car.

Speed limit for big trucks is 60 mph and cars at 70 of course. Most of the trucks we passed were going 70 mph in the center lane, 10 above. Faster cars were passing them on the right out of frustration. The cops did nothing. Must have been late for dinner.

How can a state have speed limits for trucks and cars 10 mph different without forcing trucks to stay in the right lane on multi lane freeways? I'm a fast driver and rarely pay much attention to the speed limits as I go with the flow of traffic, which is hopefully unimpeded by slow pokes in the left lane or big trucks screwing up everything.

If everyone could drive for awhile in TX or MT they'd come back to MI so pissed off they'd demand saner traffic laws.
    Last edited by 3WC; June-14-16 at 03:42 PM. Reason: typo

I'm old, but I'm seeing really shaky old folks driving big vehicles who feel they have to crawl to a dead stop on a busy road when making any kind of turn, and I have to be right behind them when they do it!

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    I followed a MI State Police car with 2 officers in it for about 15 miles on NB I-75 in Oakland County this afternoon. Traffic was moving at about 75 mph or more and nobody was paying much attention to the police car.
    Nearly got run off the FL turnpike north of Orlando today -- was doing ~85 in the next-to-center lane and police blew their horn, flashed lights, so I pulled over - and he blasted past like I was standing still. Why didn't he use the "fast" lane, which was flowing smoothly [[85-90+)? Duh ...

Florida is a great place to practice competitive driving, esp. as you get closer to Miami. Two essential controls: accelerator pedal and cell phone...

<vroom, vroom!!>

Quote Originally Posted by beachboy View Post
    ... Two essential controls: accelerator pedal and cell phone...
    Twice today during a short trip I had to honk to alert drivers that the light had turned green. [[I'm not at all impatient.) The second time it was two drivers in both lanes. Neither noticed the light had changed.

Are cell phone addicts beginning to rely on other's horns to alert them to real world events?

Is that the new plan?
    Last edited by Jimaz; June-29-16 at 08:27 PM.

Ever drive in Manhattan? It was there that scientists measured the shortest time span ever. It was the time it takes between the light turning green and the guy behind you starting to honk.

^^^ That would drive me nuts! As my 'healthy' PAUSE, before going thru a green light has saved me from being broadsided by someone running the red many times. I don't usually get horn blowing behind me.
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-30-16 at 05:46 AM.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/serious-acc...oits-west-side
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-30-16 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3WC View Post
    Ever drive in Manhattan? It was there that scientists measured the shortest time span ever. It was the time it takes between the light turning green and the guy behind you starting to honk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ That would drive me nuts! As my 'healthy' PAUSE, before going thru a green light has saved me from being broadsided by someone running the red many times. I don't usually get horn blowing behind me.
    LOL. I can relate. My parents have lived in Michigan all their lives, for generations. They once drove into NYC to pick me up so I could join them on their road trip. We met in midtown and left the city. What an experience! Their polite driving was entirely out of place, especially during rush hour. It was honking and angry faces all around, upset by our delays respecting lanes rather than swerving around obstructions, and the space we left between us and the car ahead. The worst came as we approached changing traffic lights. The driver behind wants you to hurry up, bumper-to-bumper, so both cars can pass through. They've never driven here since.

New Yorkers try to avoid rush hour in Manhattan. Many avoid unnecessarily driving at all. It's mostly taxi drivers, delivery trucks, and others driving for work. Few follow the rules we learned in driving school. I'm not advocating that style of driving. But it helps traffic and is probably safer to abandon what you learned is the right way to drive, and follow the unwritten rules of the local road.

That said I see a lot more a-holes driving at least 100 dodging cars driving 75 like its an obstacle course on freeways in the Detroit area than anywhere else I've been.

And once on E Jefferson I was among two cars driving into downtown at night. We lost track of the other car. When they caught up to us at our destination they explained what caused their delay. A cop pulled them over at a stop light, asked what they were doing around there, and advised them not to stop at stop lights or risk getting car jacked. They were driving a Merkur [[remember those?), and he said it made them a target. That was during the crack epidemic. Things seem a little better now.

BTW, a lot of people bike in NY. Bloomberg built bike lanes and introduced bike sharing. De Blasio is expanding it further. I support taming traffic, building more bike infrastructure, and biking in general. Research proves the more bikes on the road the safer it is for bikers. I can dig it up if I have to. But biking here is still dangerous. Most I know who do have had an unfortunate encounter with a car. Despite growing up riding my bike everywhere I no longer bike in NY. Finally sold my bike after rarely using it for years. I look forward to biking more safely again someday, hopefully in time for my kids to grow up riding bikes too!
    Last edited by bust; June-30-16 at 02:29 PM.

I rode shotgun once arriving into Manhattan during rush hour. Absolute nightmare! I'm glad I wasn't driving. You must have a hundred eyes in your head just to catch every chaotic event transpiring at once. You got pedestrians dodging in front of you left and right. You have to drive around a large block area about seven times just to hope you find a parking spot, and it seems that garbage trucks are just these huge, plodding obstructions that always have the right of way.

I'll stick to a bike or the entertainment on the subway.

Ever get a mean streak?

You are at a light and notice the vehicles on either side have half out of it or inattentive drivers [[on phones, no surprise there). The light hasn't changed yet, but you you just mischievously lurch the car forward and see if the other vehicles are going by the momentum of the other cars and not the light, so they follow your example and lurch forward and stop. I did it once or twice, but realized it's a good way to get folks killed. Yet, it makes a strong commentary on human behavior.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2