Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Michigan no fault law

Who wrote Michigan's no fault auto insurance law? I found that it was passed in 1973 but I can't find much information on who wrote it, and who voted it in.

There were a lot of proposals for no-fault auto insurance in Michigan from the mid '60s until it eventually passed in 1972. As I remember, by the time it was passed there was strong bi-partisan consensus, led by Governor Milliken, that no-fault auto insurance reform was needed. But the devil was in the details, of course, and there were a number of proposals and counter-proposals being thrown around for a couple of years and big disagreement between the House and the Senate.

The version that eventually was passed and went into effect was the one proposed by State Senator L. Harvey Lodge, who was a Republican from northern Oakland County.

Here is a link to a very lengthy and windy article from the U of D Law Review on the entire history of the non-fault insurance concept that I was able to dig up. If you're really interested, save yourself a lot of time and eye strain and start on page 671:
    http://www.law.udmercy.edu/udm/image.../874Mellon.pdf