Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Senior Friendly Fishin' Holes?

Looking to spend some more time with my dad who loves fishing and lives in Warrendale [[and probably doesn't want to bother with the Rouge). Neither of us are particularly good at fishing but it would be nice to find a spot on the shore where we can luck into some fish [[I'm game to cleaning and eating them, he just wants to catch and release).

I'd prefer something on the river or in a more urban park between Wyandotte and St. Clair Shores but am open to anything so long as there is a somewhat convenient restroom. That part is a must to get dad out of the house.

Any suggestions?

Mariner's Park at the mouth of the Detroit River seems to be quite popular with the anglers.

https://foursquare.com/v/mariner-par...1ca14313bc5a0c

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    Looking to spend some more time with my dad who loves fishing and lives in Warrendale [[and probably doesn't want to bother with the Rouge). Neither of us are particularly good at fishing but it would be nice to find a spot on the shore where we can luck into some fish [[I'm game to cleaning and eating them, he just wants to catch and release).

I'd prefer something on the river or in a more urban park between Wyandotte and St. Clair Shores but am open to anything so long as there is a somewhat convenient restroom. That part is a must to get dad out of the house.

Any suggestions?
    I'm going to tell you my secret spot, but don't tell anyone, Ok? Delray Boat Launch, [[and park) is nice IMO. I'm not sure about restrooms, you might have to improvise a little. Here is a link to some others. Though they're billed as "boat ramps", all have a fishing areas too. Remember, shhhhhh!

http://walleye101.com/detroit_river___boat_ramps
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-06-16 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Mariner's Park at the mouth of the Detroit River seems to be quite popular with the anglers.

That's not the mouth of the river. It's the source. The mouth of Detroit river is at Lake Erie. Lake St. Claire is the source of the river.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post

I've been meaning to check out Mariner Park soon. Apparently the shore fishing is pretty good for bass and walleye...not sure about restrooms though.

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    That's not the mouth of the river. It's the source. The mouth of Detroit river is at Lake Erie. Lake St. Claire is the source of the river.
    Thx for the correction.

Belle Isle?

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'll have to see how he feels about improvising. I'm not quite his age yet so I don't understand the.. nature... of this urgency. Ahem.

I've had my park tags for two years now and still haven't visited Belle Isle since the change over. That'd be a nice spot, maybe do the obvious mariner's museum trip to be a good sport and let him reminisce about his navy days. I'll have to scope out Mariner's Park and Delray first to make sure it'll work for him. Delray and Ft. Wayne [[I've never been) might would be more fun for me if I can convince him.

Quote Originally Posted by Enduro View Post
    I've had my park tags for two years now and still haven't visited Belle Isle since the change over. That'd be a nice spot, maybe do the obvious mariner's museum trip to be a good sport and let him reminisce about his navy days.
    Dossin Great Lakes Museum does have bathrooms. I can't rate the Men's room but the Ladies' room was decent.

http://detroithistorical.org/dossin-...al-information
    Last edited by Pam; June-12-16 at 07:03 AM.