Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Looking for 1880s images of Detroit and Kenneth Schramm

Hello Detroit History Enthusiasts. I am nearing completion of my book about the Detroit Wolverines, members of the National League from 1881 to 1888 and League Champions in 1887. I am trying to find owners of some historic images of Detroit, one from the Detroit Street Railway, the other from the Schramm Collection. I am looking to connect with the DSR image holder and Kenneth Schramm who has some lovely images. Can anyone provide contact information for either, or both? Hoping to include their images in my book if i can obtain permission. Any assistance much appreciated. Chip Martin.

You might get more response if you put something about baseball in the title.

I would guess that you are already using this great shot from the Burton Historical Collection of the 1887 championship pennant flying above Recreation Park.

Name:  1887 Detroit Wolverines pennants.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  83.0 KB

Default Found Him

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    You might get more response if you put something about baseball in the title.

I would guess that you are already using this great shot from the Burton Historical Collection of the 1887 championship pennant flying above Recreation Park.

Name:  1887 Detroit Wolverines pennants.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  83.0 KB

Have connected with Ken. I already have plenty of baseball images lined up, including the pennants at Recreation Park. Thanks for the tip, though. I was looking for nice street scene of Detroit at the time of the Wolverines.

Quote Originally Posted by Batboy View Post
    Hello Detroit History Enthusiasts. I am nearing completion of my book about the Detroit Wolverines, members of the National League from 1881 to 1888 and League Champions in 1887. I am trying to find owners of some historic images of Detroit, one from the Detroit Street Railway, the other from the Schramm Collection. I am looking to connect with the DSR image holder and Kenneth Schramm who has some lovely images. Can anyone provide contact information for either, or both? Hoping to include their images in my book if i can obtain permission. Any assistance much appreciated. Chip Martin.
    This sounds great. Are there any other books on the Wolverines out there?

When I was little I had a book that was all about the history of baseball - and talked about the National League, American Association, Players' League, etc. I found out about the Wolverines therein... and the idea that Detroit had an NL team and won a title was always really fascinating to me. I will be looking forward to your book.

Default Detroit Wolverines of 1881-1888

Quote Originally Posted by Junjie View Post
    This sounds great. Are there any other books on the Wolverines out there?

When I was little I had a book that was all about the history of baseball - and talked about the National League, American Association, Players' League, etc. I found out about the Wolverines therein... and the idea that Detroit had an NL team and won a title was always really fascinating to me. I will be looking forward to your book.

My book will be released by McFarland and Company publishers in 2017. It is the first book about the Wolverines. They accomplished much and put Detroit on the baseball map at at a time when the city was known as "Paris of the West." Thanks for your interest. McFarland website is www.mcfarlandpub.com. I have done three other baseball books with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Batboy View Post
    My book will be released by McFarland and Company publishers in 2017. It is the first book about the Wolverines. They accomplished much and put Detroit on the baseball map at at a time when the city was known as "Paris of the West." Thanks for your interest. McFarland website is www.mcfarlandpub.com. I have done three other baseball books with them.
    Very cool. I will be keeping an eye open [[or maybe you can bump this thread when it's out?)

Default Detroit Wolverines Baseball Club of 1881-1888

Quote Originally Posted by Junjie View Post
    Very cool. I will be keeping an eye open [[or maybe you can bump this thread when it's out?)
    Yes. I will definitely announce when it is published. It is a fascinating story of baseball as it struggled to get established in Detroit when the city was known as the Paris of the West. Different times, different city. Some folks my be surprised to learn the Wolverines won the National League pennant in 1887 and spent lavishly to do so.