Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Sugar Hill Church Old Photos?

I'm curious if anyone has any old photos of the Church of the New Jerusalem [[also known as New Grace Baptist Church) in the Sugar Hill district of Midtown at the southwest corner of Forest and John R? It originally opened in 1915 as the only Swedenborgian [[offshoot of Protestant movement) church in the city. Around 1970 it became a soup kitchen [[Crossroads of Michigan) and that may have been when the nave was floored over and the windows were removed.

I have done a pretty thorough search online and cannot find any photos whatsoever taken previous to its current abandoned state. I figured there might be someone here who used to go there or knows somebody who did who might have photos of the space exterior or interior or even from an event there? Anything that anyone has would be greatly appreciated!

This is the building now in its current state:
    Name:  IMG_1486.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  84.1 KB
    Last edited by BMoo; June-03-16 at 11:20 AM.

Unfortunately, the PlacePromo Detroit Buildings Survey photo of this church from 1976 is extremely washed out. I worked with it a bit to make it more visible, and the result is below.

All of the other pictures of a New Jerusalem church I could find were of the congregation's earlier home on the southwest corner of Cass and Vernor [[then High St.), where the original Cass Tech [[later Commerce High) was built, and right where the Fisher Fwy./I-75 is today.

Name:  new grace church E Forest 1976.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  32.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Unfortunately, the PlacePromo Detroit Buildings Survey photo of this church from 1976 is extremely washed out. I worked with it a bit to make it more visible, and the result is below.

All of the other pictures of a New Jerusalem church I could find were of the congregation's earlier home on the southwest corner of Cass and Vernor [[then High St.), where the original Cass Tech [[later Commerce High) was built, and right where the Fisher Fwy./I-75 is today.

Name:  new grace church E Forest 1976.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  32.0 KB
    The images on PlacePromo belong to the State Historic Preservation Office. As for the church its was designed by Harry G. Muelman.

I believe Crossroads/Cathedral Church of St. Paul still own the property and building. The nave of the church could be easily returned to a large room. No structural change were made to the building, just the subdividing of the space into offices/cubicles for Crosswords use.

Even in a bad state the photo is really helpful, I'm surprised it wasn't included in the historic register nomination since SHPO owns it.

As for Crossroads, they vacated the building in 2008. I believe that Midtown Detroit Inc owns it now.

If anyone else has more photos, please share!

Here is a link to the photo on the PlacePromo website, if anyone wants to take a whack at it with better tools than I have available.

http://www.placepromo.com/display.ph...&add..&page=60

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    I believe Crossroads/Cathedral Church of St. Paul still own the property and building. The nave of the church could be easily returned to a large room. No structural change were made to the building, just the subdividing of the space into offices/cubicles for Crosswords use.
    I don't believe the Cathedral Church of St Paul ever owned property that far south. Considering that the existing building on Woodward & Hancock was never completed, I can't imagine the parish constructing another building on the south side of Forest--a full block and 1/2 away [[unless, perhaps, the land ownership was retained by TCCOSP and leased out to Church of Jerusalem to build on) .

At one time, the Cathedral owned some adjacent land south of Hancock, which was sold off to build Cathedral Tower & the medical center parking. However, I don't believe that ownership extended south of the alley between Hancock & Forest. . .even more unlikely that it jumped over to the south side of Forest.