Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I don't know how true this flies, but from what I see on the news, and this is the only info I can base this on and if I'm wrong please correct me. It seems that from what I have observed, the efforts to erect and organize a "Memorial" could be better funneled into efforts to prevent these tragedies. Please don't take this as a slam on memorials. But it seems that everyone seems to come together in a moments notice to create these memorials. What if the same effort was put into organizing a neighborhood watch group or a neighborhood block club?

In some ways this is similar to an incident that happened over 50 years ago when a young black teenager offended local yahoos at a small grocery store. He was abducted by several men and brutally beaten to death. Yeah, his name was was Emmett Till.

I keep asking myself: Did we come all this way for this?

Quote Originally Posted by evergreen View Post
    In some ways this is similar to an incident that happened over 50 years ago when a young black teenager offended local yahoos at a small grocery store. He was abducted by several men and brutally beaten to death. Yeah, his name was was Emmett Till.

I keep asking myself: Did we come all this way for this?
    Child murders are nothing new. However, Till was racially motivated and this was apparently not [[the suspects are also black).

If you are seeking to draw a parallel, the Barbara Gaca case is more appropriate: same historical year [[1955) as Till but Gaca occurring in Detroit, involving a child, and apparently not racially motivated either. Only little Barbara's killer was never caught.

Me, I'm all for video camera monitoring of high crime areas. Crime succeeds best in 1) Unsubstantiated circumstances, i.e. no proof and 2) where you're sure you won't be seen. Cameras squash both these advantages, but of course it helps to have streetlights first.

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    Child murders are nothing new. However, Till was racially motivated and this was apparently not [[the suspects are also black).

If you are seeking to draw a parallel, the Barbara Gaca case is more appropriate: same historical year [[1955) as Till but Gaca occurring in Detroit, involving a child, and apparently not racially motivated either. Only little Barbara's killer was never caught.

Me, I'm all for video camera monitoring of high crime areas. Crime succeeds best in 1) Unsubstantiated circumstances, i.e. no proof and 2) where you're sure you won't be seen. Cameras squash both these advantages, but of course it helps to have streetlights first.
    He was caught on video camera in the store and outside; that's how they knew who it was

3 more senseless murders yesterday with a 15 year old boy being one of the victims. A known drug house that's been raided a few times already this month. Momma says her boy is a good boy,they were looking for "someone else". There will be street retailiation. There are no brains working here people. The elevator isn't going to the top, the lights are off.

Another 14 year old murdered by a 13 year old today......animals preying on each other. I don't need anyone telling me not to call them animals because they are!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Well, naming a child "Deontae" to start with tends to hang a racial lable on him from the git-go, seems to me.
    Maybe naming him Latimore or Ichabod would've swung things in another way, perhaps?...

First of all, using the term "animals" is more commonly used by those suggesting racial implication [[and has been for a very long time-especially by those comparing blacks as a "primitive species") or those flexing a class distinction against the poor and "unwashed'.

Second, folks got to stop pissing about this being endemic to Detroit. Ever city suffers outlandish atrocity [[Louisville has some real humdingers I can elaborate on). Child murders happen in ever part of this country. I'm not trying to be ambivalent here, but there are some aspects here to consider to remain more objective.

What gets me is how a woman can be in this car and watch these beatings/stranglings carry on [[strangely not the "usual" molestation given to these atrocities) and do nothing about it.

There was an attempted kidnapping recently in PA by a mentally unhinged woman who had recently lost her own childhttp://abcnews.go.com/US/video-shows...ry?id=39668179. Also, there was this incident in FLA at a Dollar Store where a guy brazenly tries to make off [[against the will of one tough mother) with a 13 year oldhttp://abc7.com/news/video-13-year-o...ction/1376845/. These things happen everywhere.

Yet, if there is a major concern we have to address in Detroit, it is why more kids are suffering violently by one means or another-usually caught between deliberate retaliatory gang skirmishes and not this odd spree situation that occurred with the poor kid here.

Yeah, I was thinking just that. Thank you for pointing it out!

Quote Originally Posted by G-DDT View Post
    Maybe naming him Latimore or Ichabod would've swung things in another way, perhaps?...

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    I also noted that stealing the man's money seemed like an incredibly bad decision -- which the media seems to ignore in favor of focusing on the criminal doing what criminals do.

Am not blaming the victim here, but just wondering why the kid poked the beast, and why it doesn't seem to be worth discussion.
    Just for the record, what you're doing here is exactly the definition of blaming the victim. By talking about what the kid could have done differently to prevent his own murder suggests that he was in some part responsible for being murdered. Are you saying that he is responsible for his own murder?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Just for the record, what you're doing here is exactly the definition of blaming the victim. By talking about what the kid could have done differently to prevent his own murder suggests that he was in some part responsible for being murdered. Are you saying that he is responsible for his own murder?
    No, I 100% blame the murderer. Zero blame to the victim, IMO.

Discussion of prevention isn't blame. Ignoring a victim's contributory actions is politically-correct denial, and may result in President Trump.

It isn't necessary to declare victims 100% pure to place 100% blame on the murderer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    No, I 100% blame the murderer. Zero blame to the victim, IMO.

Discussion of prevention isn't blame. Ignoring a victim's contributory actions is politically-correct denial, and may result in President Trump.

It isn't necessary to declare victims 100% pure to place 100% blame on the murderer.
    If you don't detect the logical inconsistency with what you're saying then there probably isn't much left for us to talk about. And yes, if Trump is elected then it probably will be due to very flawed logic of voting public.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    If you don't detect the logical inconsistency with what you're saying then there probably isn't much left for us to talk about. And yes, if Trump is elected then it probably will be due to very flawed logic of voting public.
    Honestly Heartie, I do not. You can either decide to try to explain it, or not. How we respond to social problems is complex, and clearly needs more debate and understanding, IMO.

And I just do not understand why criticism of a victim is invalid and has anything to do with 'blame'.

Logic is important, but it is often based on assumptions that might not be true. I believe that introspection by victimized communities and individuals is socially valuable. Condemned to repeat history stuff. Maybe I'm wrong.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3