Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default A Detroit Perspective by a Portlander

Heres an interesting perspective of Detroit by a very unique writer/visitor from the West coast. Portland to be exact.

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/live-from-detroit

Not bad. She picks up on things pretty quickly. Except for the no articles written about Detroit part.

I think she means that out on the West coast, Detroit just isn't on the daily media radar. On the rare occasion it is, its the usual "Detroit Murder City" moniker.

Im wondering if its just a matter of the geographical distance? Or is it "Michigan and the Rustbelt are flyover country" mentality that exists in many parts of the country and their local media outlets?

Quote Originally Posted by 7051 View Post
    I think she means that out on the West coast, Detroit just isn't on the daily media radar. On the rare occasion it is, its the usual "Detroit Murder City" moniker.

Im wondering if its just a matter of the geographical distance? Or is it "Michigan and the Rustbelt are flyover country" mentality that exists in many parts of the country and their local media outlets?
    I think Detroit [[and most cities) concern themselves too much with their national perception when most people rarely look outside their own homes let alone outside their own cities. How often are Portland, Atlanta, Philadelphia, etc. on the national radar? Mostly when you hear about other cities it's for something bad. That's what news is. For all the great things about Chicago, it's making news for murders and not much else lately.

As a resident of the Pacific NorthLeft, I have to agree with 7051. Very very seldom does the Seattle media concern itself with "Eastern" problems. Flint water and Detroit Schools are considered a "National" story, so there is very little local coverage, and what coverage there is is usually the hydroplane races. This is, after all Ole Bardahl/Slo-Mo-Shun/Oh Boy Oberto country....

401don is also correct.

Although I'm totally against land banking, I think Detroit is a special case here. Now that we have a major turnaround thanks to "out-of-state" investment, as the article points out but something I don't totally agree with, why are we still complaining?
    We have already experienced the alternative over the past 50 or so years with population decline, abandonment and disinvestment which evidently did not work out well for anyone so IMO, we should embrace and encourage any form of resurgence regardless of its source.

PS. I have lost many full price bids on properties to cash offers but I can't scream prejudice or discrimination. What the article points out are similar situations on a larger scale.

Oh, please -- great Portlander -- define us! tell us what's wrong with us.

Please share your vast wealth of knowledge that will lead us to the promised land!!!!

C'mon people.

Stop digging into what other people say about the area - it's like ya have a complex or something.

Be who you are, Detroit, and stop being what they want you to be.

The very minute you stop being who you are, the very next minute you will be a Red City.

Read the article again BP. Slowly this time. All of it.