Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Living in Southwest/Mexicantown

So, I have lived in Woodbridge for awhile now renting and I really have fallen for the city and want to stay here for awhile. I want to buy a house at this point; I am done with renting.

I know there are plenty of other neighborhoods, and believe me I am looking everywhere. But there is one property in particular that I like in Southwest/Mexicantown. I have frequented the area mainly on the east side for the restaurants and nightlife, and ridden my bicycle around the area getting a feel for the community. Still, I don't think I have a proper idea of what it means to live there.

I feel like I have been spoiled in Woodbridge, we get the Wayne State cops patrolling periodically and the the area is much more gentrified [[which could be good or bad depending on how you look at it, but it is safer than most areas).

I have asked my friends about living in Southwest, and I have gotten mixed opinions, and I don't really know anybody that lives in that area currently. I have gotten responses stating it is a great place, has lots of character and culture and they wouldn't mind living there. Then I get people telling me it is much tougher and people they know that live there get their cars and homes broken into more often. However, most people seem to have to have sweeping opinions of Southwest as a whole, when I feel like it is a very differentiated community with different pockets of good and bad areas. That being said, the property I am looking at is on Morrell just south of Vernor, so a block east of Junction off Vernor. Not quite in the sweet spot of Hubbard Farms, but still a couple blocks away. Is there anybody body familiar with this area specifically or know people that live close to there?

I want to stay in Detroit, but I also don't want to constantly fear my house and car will be violated while I am away. I know I would do things to deter this from happening anywhere I would move to in Detroit, but I don't want to move somewhere for the long haul and really regret it if crime is much worse than I originally thought.

So, basically I want the previous question answered about that area specifically of Vernor and Morrell. I don't want suggestions necessarily on other places to look because trust me, I am looking all over. The last house I almost had, that I had really fallen for, was in Boston Edison, in great shape, included the empty side lot and was only 100k. I put my offer in the same day above asking and lost to a cash offer. I am growing very tired of looking, it is very exhausting.

Very familiar with that area, it is really a "family" neighborhood. You'd be close to Dulys - and that could be a reason NOT to buy there, unless of course the smell of Coneys is desireable. The streets are narrow and parking could be a problem, most homes have alley access to a garage. I know folks are buying west of Junction too, and buying into a neighborhood has a stabilizing effect rather than a neighborhood full of rental property. I have to admit that at one time the fact that the 3rd Precinct was right down the road was a good feeling, but, that won't happen again. Do now know of any serious crime around there, most of the older homes have beautiful woodwork and real plaster, some real gems worth preserving.

3. Default

As I recall that has been in of the few growing census tracts in Detroit. Lots of charm, personality, small businesses and street life. It reminds me of Hamtramck.

good luck on your search.

Thanks for the feedback so far. I think I would like the smell of coney's I also noticed Brown's Bun Making had a lovely smell of fresh bread wafting by the house. I am not turned off by smell of tasty food.

I am going to have my realtor take me back there this week so I can look it over again, and I am going to ride my bike up there with my roommate this evening to see how the neighborhood is at dusk [[not to mention get some good food). I look forward to more people providing insight on this neighborhood....

My brother lives on Hubbard South of Vernor near the Blvd. I think the overall safety of the area might have improved a little the last few years. I still wouldn't call that area safe in any sense that I'm used to. He lives with security cameras, guard dogs and guns. If you're in with that type of an existence then go for it.

As an aside, I think Duly's is one of the best coneys in the area. My buddy thinks it's the most over rated coney in the area. I think we both are right.

Take a look at Hamtramck.

I recently left Woodbridge after a long stint there [[and elsewhere) and purchased in Hamtramck. What was appealing to me, as a first time homeowner, is the size of the home. I could not manage a home in Boston Edison or even Woodbridge even if I were loaded. The maintenance would kill me.

I had a modest budget [[wanted to keep my mortgage at or below my previous rent) and also wanted something I could renovate. Hamtramck fit that bill. I'm still getting acquainted with my new city, but so far it has been rewarding. The neighborhood is quiet; but dense. Lots of home renovations happening near me. DCFC is a new treat.

Hamtramck still feels like a little secret, and it won't be that way forever. Good luck with your hunt!

PS Skip the coney's at Duly's and head straight for the breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    My brother lives on Hubbard South of Vernor near the Blvd. I think the overall safety of the area might have improved a little the last few years. I still wouldn't call that area safe in any sense that I'm used to. He lives with security cameras, guard dogs and guns. If you're in with that type of an existence then go for it.

As an aside, I think Duly's is one of the best coneys in the area. My buddy thinks it's the most over rated coney in the area. I think we both are right.
    I would probably invest in a security system, I would have dogs [[not necessarily guard dogs) and possibly a gun as a last resort if I bought a house anywhere, really.

Your brother has all those things but how many incidents have a occurred where he utilized those?

Quote Originally Posted by Pcm View Post
    Take a look at Hamtramck.

I recently left Woodbridge after a long stint there [[and elsewhere) and purchased in Hamtramck. What was appealing to me, as a first time homeowner, is the size of the home. I could not manage a home in Boston Edison or even Woodbridge even if I were loaded. The maintenance would kill me.

I had a modest budget [[wanted to keep my mortgage at or below my previous rent) and also wanted something I could renovate. Hamtramck fit that bill. I'm still getting acquainted with my new city, but so far it has been rewarding. The neighborhood is quiet; but dense. Lots of home renovations happening near me. DCFC is a new treat.

Hamtramck still feels like a little secret, and it won't be that way forever. Good luck with your hunt!

PS Skip the coney's at Duly's and head straight for the breakfast.
    I actually have looked in Hamtramck, but not as seriously as other places. I will take a closer look tonight. There was a nice one I saw a couple months ago on a double lot with an above ground pool for under 100k! What intersection of Hamtramck are you near so I know what is a good place to look?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Schultz View Post
    I would probably invest in a security system, I would have dogs [[not necessarily guard dogs) and possibly a gun as a last resort if I bought a house anywhere, really.

Your brother has all those things but how many incidents have a occurred where he utilized those?
    He was robbed at gunpoint right outside of his residence, That was the most serious of the problems. I think it was after that he had the security cameras installed. There were some other more minors incidents.

The remainder of our family are not happy with him living there. He has quite a few rental properties in the area that he likes to keep an eye on.

I dont know know if you have a family or an S.O or what your situation is but living anywhere in the city unarmed is something I would never consider.

I knew a father and son who shared an upper/lower flat building on that very block. They never had any problems other than the usual car-breaking BS. Of course, they were both cops, so your mileage may vary a bit. But that neighborhood does seem better now than when they lived there 10+ years ago.

I can vouch for Hamtramck. I live there. A big plus is that they have their own police force and they respond in minutes.

But the the southwest area you are thinking of moving into is a well thought out choice too.

My test when thinking of moving to an area is to do exactly what you are doing. Visit the area on foot and see if you feel comfortable. Trust your intuitions.